CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 30, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #17,986 of 26,005
Please report back when you get DC4.
For now I don't want to even think about buying external power supply for the Dave, but oh my god I know that at some point this thought of getting Dave to being more Dave is going to kill me. :rolling_eyes:
I've just taken the plunge and purchased a DC4 to go with my Dave. It's something that I've been considering for a while after reading the rave reviews on here, but I wasn't prepared to spend that amount of money without making the comparison first - fortunately Triode User very kindly helped me out.

I don't know if I contacted Sean Jacobs at a quite time but I received my DC4 within a week (this is in the UK).

As to what it sounds like, in my system IMO it complements the Dave very well. I would say that the Dave had been running at 70% of its full potential and adding the DC4 has added that extra 30% and really makes it fly. Areas where I can hear improvements are more detail, better sound stage and dynamics, improved base, vocals and instrument textures. Just when I thought I had reached the end game and things couldn't get any better, something comes along that raises the bar yet again.

To conclude, it's an upgrade that I can highly recommend to all Dave users. Of course YMMV.

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #17,987 of 26,005
I've just taken the plunge and purchased a DC4 to go with my Dave. It's something that I've been considering for a while after reading the rave reviews on here, but I wasn't prepared to spend that amount of money without making the comparison first - fortunately Triode User very kindly helped me out.

I don't know if I contacted Sean Jacobs at a quite time but I received my DC4 within a week (this is in the UK).

As to what it sounds like, in my system IMO it complements the Dave very well. I would say that the Dave had been running at 70% of its full potential and adding the DC4 has added that extra 30% and really makes it fly. Areas where I can hear improvements are more detail, better sound stage and dynamics, improved base, vocals and instrument textures. Just when I thought I had reached the end game and things couldn't get any better, something comes along that raises the bar yet again.

To conclude, it's an upgrade that I can highly recommend to all Dave users. Of course YMMV.
thanks, I can’t wait now! Can I ask how long you have had it, it seems it needs 4 - 6 weeks to fully burn in? Was that your experience?

Aug 30, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #17,988 of 26,005

Standard or ARC6?

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #17,989 of 26,005
It's a standard Dave version of the DC4. The ARC6 is still in development and I will have the option to upgrade to ARC6 spec. as and when it becomes available (I don't think its to far away).
It had been burning-in for 24h before I first tried it. I've been told the full burn-in process can take up to 4-6 weeks and that then it should sound even better!

Aug 30, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #17,990 of 26,005

Paul, it was great to see you again and I am very happy for any other Dave owners to invite themselves to hear my DC4. If nothing else it is a good opportunity to have a chat about hifi and to put the world to rights whilst discovering new tracks and albums!

I had to take a leap of faith when I bought my DC4 but I would agree with you about the percentage uplift by adding the DC4.

Aug 31, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #17,993 of 26,005
I'm afraid Dave doesn't have enough power to drive Susvara. That's what I was told by distributor who sent me Dave for tests.

Aug 31, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #17,994 of 26,005
That's common thing that is always told all over the internet.
On the other hand some people (for example in Susvara thread) claims that it is a marvelous combo. But from the other side a lot of the folks says that you need 100wat+ speaker amp to drive them.... - that's to me sounds like a complete nonsense.
Anyway
Doing "math" it seems like Dave would drive Susvara to 110-112db before it would clip - so that's very very/extremely loud.
When most of my listening occurs (80-90db - mostly around 80) Dave should be more than fine driving Susvara with a lot of db headroom.

I suppose I'll have to somehow go to the dealer with the Dave and finds that out myself.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #17,995 of 26,005
The Susvara driven by DAVE's headphone out sounds inadequately powered(primarily a reduction of soundstage, dynamics and bass), my Focal Clear sounds better by a fair margin to be honest.

For me personally the Susvara sounds the best driven by my Sony TA-A1ES integrated amplifier(connected to the binding posts with spade connectors) which now has me searching for an amplifier with Speaker A and B outputs in order to drive the Susvara and a pair of speakers from the same unit.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #17,996 of 26,005
There is a you tube review with a direct comparison to a Dave mscaler. In that one, reviewer concludes Dave combo not even close to Holo.
That reviewer, GoldenOne, was more moved by the presentation of the May as I recall, the sound bringing him to tears. R2R DACs can have that effect. But I'd be careful about what you state someone said exactly, as well as considering what music he was listening to.

On the other hand some people (for example in Susvara thread) claims that it is a marvelous combo. But from the other side a lot of the folks says that you need 100wat+ speaker amp to drive them.... - that's to me sounds like a complete nonsense.
Likely depends a lot on listening level. Even though I've tried to hammer it into people for years, people still don't realise the importance of it.

I agree with the other impressions though, that the DAVE cannot deliver the dynamics with the Susvaras that a proper amp for them can, be it a speaker amp or the TT2.

Now if there was a DAVE with the TT2 output power...

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #17,997 of 26,005
That reviewer, GoldenOne, was more moved by the presentation of the May as I recall, the sound bringing him to tears. R2R DACs can have that effect. But I'd be careful about what you state someone said exactly, as well as considering what music he was listening to.

Likely depends a lot on listening level. Even though I've tried to hammer it into people for years, people still don't realise the importance of it.

I agree with the other impressions though, that the DAVE cannot deliver the dynamics with the Susvaras that a proper amp for them can, be it a speaker amp or the TT2.

Now if there was a DAVE with the TT2 output power...
Point taken, but I am pretty sure his actual words were 'It is not even that close..' may have been in part 2 of the review.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #17,998 of 26,005
Has anybody ever tried driving Susvara directly from the Dave ?
Any thoughts ?

I tried few HPs including 1266 with Dave, let's take the case of an easier to drive HP Utopia with Dave. It is only "adequate" and "audible" but nothing more than that. You can still observe the positive traits of Dave such as less digital & natural, neutral and coherence. But there will not be wow effect, lacks the energy, layering, bass slams and instrument dynamics when comparing it against a good external amp pairing

I tried Utopia with TT2 as AIO, it is bit more powerful than Dave but I personally did not liked the SS as it was thin, lesser bass, analytical and bright. TT2 can be good as a DAC though.

I am sure Dave AIO can make Susvara audible but am afraid there will be enough juice. Moral of the story ... Pair Chord units with an amp to make the most of it :)

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #17,999 of 26,005
I tried few HPs including 1266 with Dave, let's take the case of an easier to drive HP Utopia with Dave. It is only "adequate" and "audible" but nothing more than that. You can still observe the positive traits of Dave such as less digital & natural, neutral and coherence. But there will not be wow effect, lacks the energy, layering, bass slams and instrument dynamics when comparing it against a good external amp pairing

I tried Utopia with TT2 as AIO, it is bit more powerful than Dave but I personally did not liked the SS as it was thin, analytical and bright. I am sure TT2 can be good as a DAC though.

I am sure Dave AIO can make Susvara audible but am afraid there will be enough juice. Moral of the story ... Pair Chord units with an amp :)
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly.
You are basically saying that Dave is just barely able to drive Utopia ?

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #18,000 of 26,005

I tried Utopia with TT2 as AIO, it is bit more powerful than Dave but I personally did not liked the SS as it was thin, lesser bass, analytical and bright. I am sure TT2 can be good as a DAC though.

I am sure Dave AIO can make Susvara audible but am afraid there will be enough juice. Moral of the story ... Pair Chord units with an amp to make the most of it :)
TT2 was thin, lesser bass, analytical and bright?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back