CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 6, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #17,266 of 25,845
Wow, I think I need to rethink my setup. We'll see how it goes when I get the Choral stand. I'll play around with the placement of the HMS in relation to the DAVE then.
I use 3 metre optical cables with the Opto-Dx. Overall my Blu 2, Opto-Dx T and other digital components at the side of my listening room are about 4 metres away from the Opto-Dx R, Dave and the power amps at the front. I also have separate digital and analogue power cables from the consumer unit to the front and side of the listening room respectively. These are spaced as far apart as possible in the attic.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #17,267 of 25,845
Someone could have warned me that the Dave's SE output is this good. This pairing is outstanding.

IMG_1100.jpg

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #17,268 of 25,845
Someone could have warned me that the Dave's SE output is this good. This pairing is outstanding.

IMG_1100.jpg
I second this. Recently tried lcd24 straight out of Dave and it was also amazing. I believe all lcd headphones are tuned with chord dacs

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #17,269 of 25,845
I second this. Recently tried lcd24 straight out of Dave and it was also amazing. I believe all lcd headphones are tuned with chord dacs
It sure sounds like it. The LCD-4z’s sound so detailed, full bodied and balanced. The bass is deep, punchy and music sounds so dynamic, tight and fast.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #17,270 of 25,845

IMG_1100.jpg
And with the Focal Utopia, the DAVE delivers a TKO.

Jun 9, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #17,271 of 25,845
Jun 9, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #17,272 of 25,845
With the right headphone pairing the direct output from the DAVE can outdo the best headphone amplifiers. E.g., it is perfect with my Spirit Torino Valkyria, better sounding than through my Riviera AIC-10. It is also very good with my ZMF VC, although that does sound a bit better on the Riviera. A demanding headphone like the Abyss AB1266 clearly sounds better with the Riviera.

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #17,273 of 25,845
With the right headphone pairing the direct output from the DAVE can outdo the best headphone amplifiers. E.g., it is perfect with my Spirit Torino Valkyria, better sounding than through my Riviera AIC-10. It is also very good with my ZMF VC, although that does sound a bit better on the Riviera. A demanding headphone like the Abyss AB1266 clearly sounds better with the Riviera.
This is what I'm quickly discovering about the Dave's headphone output. The SE output on the Dave is better than both SE outputs on my Formula S and Luxman. Although it's not as powerful. I listening directly out of the Dave whenever possible depending on which headphone I'm listening to.

Jun 9, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #17,274 of 25,845
This is what I'm quickly discovering about the Dave's headphone output. The SE output on the Dave is better than both SE outputs on my Formula S and Luxman. Although it's not as powerful. I listening directly out of the Dave whenever possible depending on which headphone I'm listening to.
An amplifier that keeps the tone of DAVE unchanged is Benchmark HPA4. Connected via DAVE's RCA output and using Silver OCC cables. I've also tried copper or hybrid connections but it doesn't achieve the same performance. Of course IMHO! :wink:

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #17,275 of 25,845
An amplifier that keeps the tone of DAVE unchanged is Benchmark HPA4. Connected via DAVE's RCA output and using Silver OCC cables. I've also tried copper or hybrid connections but it doesn't achieve the same performance. Of course IMHO! :wink:
I kind of figured that. Amps like the Bryston BHA-1 and the newer Burson models would probably fit the bill as well. I have the Formula S/Powerman which is clean sounding, but the Dave on it's own with easy to drive headphones is just phenomenal. You can hear the loss in transparency immediately when using the Dave in DAC mode feeding any external amp.

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #17,276 of 25,845
Absolutely agree, despite I pair it up with TT2 and M Scaler instead of Dave.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #17,277 of 25,845
I kind of figured that. Amps like the Bryston BHA-1 and the newer Burson models would probably fit the bill as well. I have the Formula S/Powerman which is clean sounding, but the Dave on it's own with easy to drive headphones is just phenomenal. You can hear the loss in transparency immediately when using the Dave in DAC mode feeding any external amp.

I found that the BHA-1 adds a bit too much treble/bright tilt to the mix. The HPA4 straddles this line perfectly to my ears!

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #17,278 of 25,845
I found that the BHA-1 adds a bit too much treble/bright tilt to the mix. The HPA4 straddles this line perfectly to my ears!
Nice, I really want to a tube or a hybrid amp. The problem I’m having is the more I listen to the Dave the more I want to maintain all of its sonic purity when I have to use a external amp. I might have to give the HPA4 a demo. The Dave is really making me rethink my setup.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #17,279 of 25,845
Nice, I really want to a tube or a hybrid amp. The problem I’m having is the more I listen to the Dave the more I want to maintain all of its sonic purity when I have to use a external amp. I might have to give the HPA4 a demo. The Dave is really making me rethink my setup.

Maintaining "sonic purity" would be to just use the DAVE as is. I only use the HPA4 or HSA-1b when more power is needed for the Abyss Phi TC, Susvara or obviously the SR1a.

Jun 9, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #17,280 of 25,845
Maintaining "sonic purity" would be to just use the DAVE as is. I only use the HPA4 or HSA-1b when more power is needed for the Abyss Phi TC, Susvara or obviously the SR1a.
Those are the headphones I would need a external amp for, minus the SR1a’s. I don’t have those but would like to give them another shot. My first experience with them wasn’t ideal.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy my Luxman tremendously. Feeding it the Dave’s signal really ups it’s performance. I just have to let my ears readjust because it sounds so different than just listening to the Dave alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back