CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 30, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #16,651 of 25,821
I have an analogue and digital circuit, supplied from a DFS 2 040-2 / 0.03-F Audio residual current circuit device and two separate GigaWatt G-16A 2P circuit breakers in the consumer unit. 4 mm² screened power cables run from here to an analogue power socket at the front the listening room and a digital power socket at the side. The power cables are separated as much as possible in the attic. One runs at the front of the attic and the other at the rear. I can have 2 separate circuits as the Opto-DX eliminates any potential ground loops. The Heisenbergs and Dave are powered from the Analogue circuit via an Audioquest Niagara 7000. The Blu2 and digital sources are powered from the digital circuit via my original conditioner, a RSA Dmitri. The Opto-DX also allows physically separating analogue and digital components.
That sound great. What improvement could you recall when putting the Blu2 on a separate circuit and on your RSA Dimitri.

i felt putting Blu2 on a separated circuit/isolation transformer and not mixing it with digital gear would yield further benefit

I will experiment putting the Blu2 on a separate balanced isolation transformer on a separated circuit from my other gears which already on isolation transformer and power conditioner.

DFS RCB do bring a taste of what low impedance electronic can do to your system. Whats the benefit of Gigawatts MCB? I hope its small enough not to trigger upgradititis

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #16,652 of 25,821
That sound great. What improvement could you recall when putting the Blu2 on a separate circuit and on your RSA Dimitri.

i felt putting Blu2 on a separated circuit/isolation transformer and not mixing it with digital gear would yield further benefit

I will experiment putting the Blu2 on a separate balanced isolation transformer on a separated circuit from my other gears which already on isolation transformer and power conditioner.

DFS RCB do bring a taste of what low impedance electronic can do to your system. Whats the benefit of Gigawatts MCB? I hope its small enough not to trigger upgradititis
I can't really say, as the Blu2 has always been powered via the Dmitri, even when I had my complete system powered through it on one circuit. I have tried the Dave powered directly from the mains. The improvement power conditioning makes to it is incredible. Power conditioning for the Dave is mandatory imho. The DFS RCB and Gigawatt MCBs, just bring an ease and musicality to the sound. I have no bad recordings any more, just some lacking dynamics and a bit flat sounding. There is absolutely no digital fatigue or brightness in my system. The analogue and digital power circuits, optical isolation and an optimised network must all contribute to this.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #16,653 of 25,821
Yes that could be useful. Personally, I quite like the occasional confirmation that the thing is actually on and working its magic. :)
I concur, I like to be able to look over and see what volume it is set at etc since it varies from HP to HP

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #16,654 of 25,821
The manual states 4 different displays for dave but i can only identify 3 different displays can anyone help me on this? thanks

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #16,655 of 25,821
Just thought I’d post here that a documentary about Robert Mcnamara, very good documentary with very good music, Philip Glass.

It’s called “The Fog of War”

I love documentaries like this. It’s on Netdix and Sky Q, enjoy.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #16,656 of 25,821
I have a background in military history and this documentary is the real mcCoy. Good choice there.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #16,657 of 25,821
I think i just solved the mystery concerning the display. From the manual.

"Display mode 4 is largely similar to display mode 1. However, after 30 seconds, the screen will enter ‘screensaver mode’ and will shut off until a function button is pressed".

Jan 31, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #16,659 of 25,821
Hello folks,
Does anybody here have a 1266 Phi TC paired with DAVE that can briefly share with me the experiences playing with it ? Does it sound fine straight out of DAVE ? I mainly listen to pop music so I'd not need the driving power to be insane. If not, what amps are good with pairing with the DAVE to drive the 1266 ? I currently have my eyes on the formula S and GSX-mini.

If you are interested in cleanest powerful amp that will not degrade DAVE quality theoretically check Singxer SA-1 headphone amplifer. I compared it with Gilmore Lite mk2 and I can't hear lite mk2 anymore and I believe GSX-mini build on the same design and sound signature.

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #16,661 of 25,821
Jan 31, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #16,662 of 25,821
Feb 1, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #16,663 of 25,821
Interesting. What kind of difference did you notice for RCA vs XLR?

I run RCA to my headphone amp and XLR to my speaker pre-amp/amp. I wonder if it would be better to split the RCA to both amps.

From what i can recall the rca was more transparent than the xlr, made me feel more emotional towards the music. XLR was very good as well, but i felt the RCA was a tad more transparent.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #16,664 of 25,821
From what i can recall the rca was more transparent than the xlr, made me feel more emotional towards the music. XLR was very good as well, but i felt the RCA was a tad more transparent.
Hmm, while browsing a bit today ,new Chord Daves at -17 % from several US dealers over at HIFI Shark.
Is something "cooking" in secret, at Chord?
Dealers are always the first to know.
Just wondering.
Cheers

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #16,665 of 25,821
Hmm, while browsing a bit today ,new Chord Daves at -17 % from several US dealers over at HIFI Shark.
Is something "cooking" in secret, at Chord?
Dealers are always the first to know.
Just wondering.
Cheers
They did the same with the mojo about 2ish years ago, gbp299 instead of 399. 2 years later it’s back to its usual price and nothing new.
Who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back