CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 29, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #16,636 of 25,870
No. The MSB I heard was more smooth than HMS/Dave could ever get. But that is a good reference/metaphor for what I am hearing with the second DC4. Had a second session today and I would say that it took a step in that direction= smooth but clear; closer to the MSB that was here. More even and rich. Interesting I did notice a bit deeper bass in this second listen now that I was looking for it.

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #16,637 of 25,870
Mostly I hear a bigger soundstage and a more musical smoothness. These are very clear with and without the 2nd DC4, especially soundstage as that is the KEF's strength and easy to notice any change. These are image beasts. They disappear into a wide and precise stage with holographic 3d realism

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #16,638 of 25,870
Nick, are you still using Spendor Classic 200? I have kept looking at and reading about those (have had one eye on the "Ti" version since you showed yours)...

Yes I still use the SP200, I see no reason to change. I love them. The dealer did try to get me to listen to the Ti version and I was interested but I never quite got around to it.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #16,639 of 25,870
No. The MSB I heard was more smooth than HMS/Dave could ever get. But that is a good reference/metaphor for what I am hearing with the second DC4. Had a second session today and I would say that it took a step in that direction= smooth but clear; closer to the MSB that was here. More even and rich. Interesting I did notice a bit deeper bass in this second listen now that I was looking for it.

Sean always says it takes quite a lot of hours for the capacitors in the DC4 to bed in.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #16,640 of 25,870
Non DAVE Owners envy club starts right about here . < there

So......whose buying / giving me a gratis DAVE ?

I’m Jewish if that helps ?

If not, I’m also a muslim and a catholic et al, bloody covid 19 long term side effects.

Should I stay or should I go now. If I go there will be trouble. And if I stay it will be double.

Mazel tov.

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #16,641 of 25,870
Hi Triode User, Hi Sampajanna,
Is the DC4 you have mentioned in last couple of threads for powering a DAVE and M Scaler a "Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS Power Supply" ?

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #16,643 of 25,870
Yes. We have been discussing a 2nd one for Mscaler.... My 2nd one just arrived.
Thank you for your reply Sampajanna. Much appreciated. I haven't heard of this product before !

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #16,645 of 25,870
I noticed you are using xlr cables to connect dave/mscaler to wa33. Sometime ago i tested xlr vs rca outputs from dave to wa33 and found that rca is actually superior to xlr. Of course this is my personal opinion and i was able to use the same grade of cable for xlr and rca. This is something you might wanna try out.

Interesting. What kind of difference did you notice for RCA vs XLR?

I run RCA to my headphone amp and XLR to my speaker pre-amp/amp. I wonder if it would be better to split the RCA to both amps.

Jan 29, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #16,646 of 25,870
Just a small simple thought - which I am sure is not remotely original, but which I mention because I have been genuinely surprised by the extra sense of space it opens up and how in particular it helps the lower end (and also because it is free to try 😇): it is well worth switching off DAVE‘s display ... (display option 4 accessed by unplugging headphones).

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #16,647 of 25,870
Just a small simple thought - which I am sure is not remotely original, but which I mention because I have been genuinely surprised by the extra sense of space it opens up and how in particular it helps the lower end (and also because it is free to try 😇): it is well worth switching off DAVE‘s display ... (display option 4 accessed by unplugging headphones).
I wished there was a software update that could enable "DISPLAY 5" that will turn the DAVE screen off entirely. DISPLAY 4 mode will turn off the DAVE screen after 30 seconds but it annoyingly activates/fires during the start of playback or whenever the input sample rate changes.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #16,648 of 25,870
I wished there was a software update that could enable "DISPLAY 5" that will turn the DAVE screen off entirely. DISPLAY 4 mode will turn off the DAVE screen after 30 seconds but it annoying activates/fires during the start of playback or whenever the input sample rate changes.
Yes that could be useful. Personally, I quite like the occasional confirmation that the thing is actually on and working its magic. :)

Jan 30, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #16,649 of 25,870

Do you plug the HMS into the same circuit as your other gear?

Jan 30, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #16,650 of 25,870
Do you plug the HMS into the same circuit as your other gear?

I have an analogue and digital circuit, supplied from a DFS 2 040-2 / 0.03-F Audio residual current circuit device and two separate GigaWatt G-16A 2P circuit breakers in the consumer unit. 4 mm² screened power cables run from here to an analogue power socket at the front the listening room and a digital power socket at the side. The power cables are separated as much as possible in the attic. One runs at the front of the attic and the other at the rear. I can have 2 separate circuits as the Opto-DX eliminates any potential ground loops. The Heisenbergs and Dave are powered from the Analogue circuit via an Audioquest Niagara 7000. The Blu2 and digital sources are powered from the digital circuit via my original conditioner, a RSA Dmitri. The Opto-DX also allows physically separating analogue and digital components.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back