CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #16,621 of 25,868
Hello folks,
Does anybody here have a 1266 Phi TC paired with DAVE that can briefly share with me the experiences playing with it ? Does it sound fine straight out of DAVE ? I mainly listen to pop music so I'd not need the driving power to be insane. If not, what amps are good with pairing with the DAVE to drive the 1266 ? I currently have my eyes on the formula S and GSX-mini.

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #16,622 of 25,868
Hello folks,
Does anybody here have a 1266 Phi TC paired with DAVE that can briefly share with me the experiences playing with it ? Does it sound fine straight out of DAVE ? I mainly listen to pop music so I'd not need the driving power to be insane. If not, what amps are good with pairing with the DAVE to drive the 1266 ? I currently have my eyes on the formula S and GSX-mini.

I've not tried TC direct out of Dave. But I have had the gsx mini. Consider the Wells Audio Milo, which I find a lot better than the gsxmini for TC (however it has too much power for sensitive headphones). I've not tried the formula S but from what I've read you will want the powerman as well to complete the story.

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #16,623 of 25,868
I've not tried TC direct out of Dave. But I have had the gsx mini. Consider the Wells Audio Milo, which I find a lot better than the gsxmini for TC (however it has too much power for sensitive headphones). I've not tried the formula S but from what I've read you will want the powerman as well to complete the story.
Thanks for the input. Upon searching their website, I saw there are several upgrade options. Which one did you opt for ?

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #16,624 of 25,868
Thanks for the input. Upon searching their website, I saw there are several upgrade options. Which one did you opt for ?

I have the Reference Milo with xlr and rca inputs. I see you have a Stellia on your profile pic. Just be aware there will be a faint background hum if you intend to use it with the Stellia too (but no hum audible with susvara and TC).

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #16,625 of 25,868
I have the Reference Milo with xlr and rca inputs. I see you have a Stellia on your profile pic. Just be aware there will be a faint background hum if you intend to use it with the Stellia too (but no hum audible with susvara and TC).
I actually sold my Stellia's to fund the purchase for TC haha. For the Reference Milo, have you tried plugging 800S into it and hearing hiss ?

Jan 28, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #16,626 of 25,868
Hello folks,

Hi, I posted my impressions a while back here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/post-14394739

I would say that for pop music in particular, which is typically quite compressed, you will hardly run out of SPL volume with the DAVE, and quality-wise it is sure fine (even more than that, actually, guessing like 85% of what you could possibly squeeze out of the TC).

You could add an amp later on, once you have accustomed yourself with the tonality of the pairing (which tends to be on the colder side of things) to grab the more synergistic amp for your tastes, and/or add the M Scaler.

The GSX-mini seems a very sensible option based on many nice user's feedback on this thread, and even the Abyss team endorsement here.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #16,627 of 25,868
Hi, I posted my impressions a while back here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/post-14394739

I would say that for pop music in particular, which is typically quite compressed, you will hardly run out of SPL volume with the DAVE, and quality-wise it is sure fine (even more than that, actually, guessing like 85% of what you could possibly squeeze out of the TC).

You could add an amp later on, once you have accustomed yourself with the tonality of the pairing (which tends to be on the colder side of things) to grab the more synergistic amp for your tastes, and/or add the M Scaler.

The GSX-mini seems a very sensible option based on many nice user's feedback on this thread, and even the Abyss team endorsement here.
Thanks for your input ! The gsx-mini caught my eyes because of its endorsement (especially from Eric) but I wonder if it's actually good enough for 1266 ?

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #16,628 of 25,868
Has anyone done this test?

DAVE + [Hi-end Amp] + 1266 vs. DAVE + [DC3/DC4] + 1266

I'd be curious. My strong speculation would be that even the DC4 would not give you the full dynamics of a dedicated amp. However, it would retain all the transparent magic of DAVE while dramatically improving the areas an amp would address.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #16,629 of 25,868
Second DC4 just landed (for Mscaler). Only one day in, but some impressions: Not as crazy WOWZA as the Dave DC4, but so far I have noticed a smoother, more analogue sound and a shift in soundstage. More "musical," as they say. The difference is definitely there. It is not super subtle, just not as strong as with the Dave. Anyonbe else playing like this? Nick?

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #16,630 of 25,868
Second DC4 just landed (for Mscaler). Only one day in, but some impressions: Not as crazy WOWZA as the Dave DC4, but so far I have noticed a smoother, more analogue sound and a shift in soundstage. More "musical," as they say. The difference is definitely there. It is not super subtle, just not as strong as with the Dave. Anyonbe else playing like this? Nick?

Twin DC4s. Awesome.

What headphones/speakers are your driving with your setup?

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #16,631 of 25,868

Yes, me.

As you say the DC4 with the Mscaler is not as strong an effect as it is with the Dave but once heard it is not something I would lightly give up.

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #16,632 of 25,868
the abyss TC out of the dave is ok...will be very strained if listening to non compressed music....the formula s/powerman is a real treat with the abyss and dave

Jan 28, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #16,633 of 25,868

So there is no difference in bass or clean treble when using DC4 for Mscaler? I guess thats the difference for the digital side.
Can you define more about this "shift in soundstage" ? the sound stage got deeper, wider or more holographic?

Hopefully it will emerge as the burn in settle.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #16,634 of 25,868
About to sit down for a second listen, so just getting started.... I use speakers. Currently running KEF Reference 5, but maybe be switching those out soon, as I am negotiating for one of my dream speakers made by Marten.... The soundstage deepened and opened surprisingly with the 2nd DC4. These KEFs' strength is the imaging and soundstage, so any change is noticeable. (They have weaknesses too, of course) I didn't notice anything in the bass in that first listen, but it was only an hour. As I said, the difference was definitely there, just not as smack your face bam-boom-pow as the Dave DC4 was... That one was epic night and day.... The main thing I noticed here was a smoothness, more laid back and relaxed but in a good way. Nick, are you still using Spendor Classic 200? I have kept looking at and reading about those (have had one eye on the "Ti" version since you showed yours)...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #16,635 of 25,868
About to sit down for a second listen, so just getting started.... I use speakers. Currently running KEF Reference 5, but maybe be switching those out soon, as I am negotiating for one of my dream speakers made by Marten.... The soundstage deepened and opened surprisingly with the 2nd DC4. These KEFs' strength is the imaging and soundstage, so any change is noticeable. (They have weaknesses too, of course) I didn't notice anything in the bass in that first listen, but it was only an hour. As I said, the difference was definitely there, just not as smack your face bam-boom-pow as the Dave DC4 was... That one was epic night and day.... The main thing I noticed here was a smoothness, more laid back and relaxed but in a good way. Nick, are you still using Spendor Classic 200? I have kept looking at and reading about those (have had one eye on the "Ti" version since you showed yours)...
Was this relaxed texture closer to MSB presentation that you have heard before? MSB sound signature is very relaxed and especially densed for MSB Select 2 model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back