CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #14,836 of 25,884
Well so for I’m liking what I’m hearing. So currently settled on 12v Poweradd with HF off and no crossfeed. For some music, crossfeed 1 seems to sound better but need more time with it to make sure.

The next stage is to try dual stage regulation as suggested by @STR-1 between the PowerAdd and the Mscaler to clean up the supply a bit more . . . .

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #14,837 of 25,884
Posts here of Dave direct to speakers I've always found intriguing having run a couple of flee watt system in the past using a 2watt sets amp (Bottlehead) and 6 watt class A solid state (Nelson Pass) the idea of going Dave direct did not sound to off the wall to me but I'm sure for many it sounds a bit left field.

The two sets of speakers I've tried running direct from the Dave couldn't be more different floor standing Bastanis Mandalas @ 100db sensitivity (these consists of two 12" Bastanis free range crystal drivers (no crossover) with tweeter assist and a seperatly amped 15" sub per channel).

Secondly a bookshelf/stand mount Fonken design which uses a single 5" Fostex FX 120 free range driver @ 89db sensitivity.

To be fair I've only cobbled together a adapter out of odds and ends to hand while I'm waiting on some parts to solder up something more suitable for longer term use.

Initial results have been very impressive certainly both sets of speakers are capable of delivering quiet beguiling performances direct from the Dave within my small listening space 14'x15' room (the Bastanis are way to big for the room).

I've monitored the Dave's temperature with a inferred thermometer and temp has been very stable. Today for instance ambient temp is 21 C and the Dave has been sat stable at 29 C for several hours.

For the most part I'm using the volume on the Dave in the -28dB to -20dB range. Venturing above -10dB is getting to uncomfortable levels for me with the Mandalas.

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #14,838 of 25,884
Posts here of Dave direct to speakers I've always found intriguing having run a couple of flee watt system in the past using a 2watt sets amp (Bottlehead) and 6 watt class A solid state (Nelson Pass) the idea of going Dave direct did not sound to off the wall to me but I'm sure for many it sounds a bit left field.

The two sets of speakers I've tried running direct from the Dave couldn't be more different floor standing Bastanis Mandalas @ 100db sensitivity (these consists of two 12" Bastanis free range crystal drivers (no crossover) with tweeter assist and a seperatly amped 15" sub per channel).

Secondly a bookshelf/stand mount Fonken design which uses a single 5" Fostex FX 120 free range driver @ 89db sensitivity.

To be fair I've only cobbled together a adapter out of odds and ends to hand while I'm waiting on some parts to solder up something more suitable for longer term use.

Initial results have been very impressive certainly both sets of speakers are capable of delivering quiet beguiling performances direct from the Dave within my small listening space 14'x15' room (the Bastanis are way to big for the room).

I've monitored the Dave's temperature with a inferred thermometer and temp has been very stable. Today for instance ambient temp is 21 C and the Dave has been sat stable at 29 C for several hours.

For the most part I'm using the volume on the Dave in the -28dB to -20dB range. Venturing above -10dB is getting to uncomfortable levels for me with the Mandalas.
The Audio Note AN-E/SPe HE Speakers work well straight from the Dave but I rather listen with the Audio Note OTO Phono SE Signature Tube Integrated Amplifier.

Jun 30, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #14,839 of 25,884
I have to agree with Criticalshot (and others) that when using Blu MkII M Scaler and Dave together the sound is better with the HF Filter 'off'. Even for hi res files imo. The filter may sound warmer when 'on' but it affects dynamic speed and frequency band in the lower mids. A simple test is to find a good vocal recording that places the vocalist in your room. With the HF filter set to off, the vocal sounds more dynamic, solid and natural in the lower mids.

I have tested this with a good number of vocal recordings now and the result is consistent to my ears.

Further to the above post I have spent some extra time re-testing the HF filter with many of my 'Hi Res files' and whilst I can still hear the above mentioned affect in the dynamics noticeable in the lower mids, the filter is clearly having a positive almost analogue effect on Hi Res files also. I can hear why Rob included it. There is an SQ benefit and on reflection I could run with either 'on or off' for my Hi Res files, though still 'off' for Red Book.

I wonder if the filter is affecting dynamics through a draw on power (or perhaps processing?). Not that it matters why. I just wanted to post again because I didn't wish to unfairly criticise the benefits of the fiter with Hi Res files. (That was its specific design goal after all.)

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #14,840 of 25,884
Further to the above post I have spent some extra time re-testing the HF filter with many of my 'Hi Res files' and whilst I can still hear the above mentioned affect in the dynamics noticeable in the lower mids, the filter is clearly having a positive almost analogue effect on Hi Res files also. I can hear why Rob included it. There is an SQ benefit and on reflection I could run with either 'on or off' for my Hi Res files, though still 'off' for Red Book.

I wonder if the filter is affecting dynamics through a draw on power (or perhaps processing?). Not that it matters why. I just wanted to post again because I didn't wish to unfairly criticise the benefits of the fiter with Hi Res files. (That was its specific design goal after all.)

It’s all variable dependent upon the music, the ears and the equipment I think. Same as with Crossfeed, there is no single universal setting that is ‘correct‘ right across the board. Then of course, there is the small issue of personal preference! You wouldn’t want it to be easy would you? 😉

I have a Manley Absolute headphone amp which you can see in my ID photo. It allows for a lot of variation of things like the output impedance, amount of negative feedback, Push Pull or Single Ended tube operation, EQ in or out, SE or balanced headphone output for example. This allows for tuning the amp to your headphones which I have found makes a lot of difference and I have a better understanding now of why there can be such a variance in people’s reaction to different headphones, amps etc. I’ve come to realise that headphones are just as hard to get right as a speaker setup, maybe even harder in some respects. I have an old pair of HD800 which must be 10 years old now and had fallen into misuse, replaced by newer, ‘better’ models. Out of curiosity, I tried them with the Manley and on the balanced output, high impedance and tweaked to suit, they sound great.

One of the things that slightly irritates about forums is when people insist that theirs is the ‘correct’ position or the ‘best’ solution - there is no absolute best, just best suited to individual personal preference. And even, then, that preference can change based upon our mood and the particular music we are listening to. That’s the beauty and the frustration of it all.

I’m sorry. That’s all a bit philosophical for this early in the morning, I think I’m going stir crazy with Lockdown fever!

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #14,841 of 25,884
I use redbook CD stored in SSD of Cocktail Audio X30 to feed HMS and Dave.

With high filter off, it sounds slightly more detailed but somewhat thin.

I prefer to have it on with Stax 009s due to round tonality.

But HD 800s sounds better with filter off due to more spooky details.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #14,842 of 25,884

Am not sure if you mean you just very recently did this, but I think so.

If you are new to driving speakers from DAC, then here's a bit of advice. (If you have done this within the last day or two.) …..I think it takes about a week to adjust to the new performance. I run speakers directly from the TT2 and it was a full week before I heard it right. Until then I never really heard the music properly. To be honest, it just sounded bright.

By the end of the week though, it sounded full bodied and solid, perfect to be exact.

In all likelihood though it make take less time to adjust for you. My amp was not on a scale with my TT2, whereas your amp probably is with DAVE. My amp was left in place since the days when I was using Mojo then Hugo 2. Meaning a large scale change in transparency when the amplifier was not used.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #14,843 of 25,884
So you think might be more noise? I just tested again and there is a difference at 16v vs 12v. I’ll give 12v a longer listen with HF off. That does have the effect I’ve heard mentioned of darker sounding but might take some getting use to. Think I ended up preferring 16v since sounded closer to stock power supply and that was sound I was used to. Also dark sound with HF on was not to my liking.

So I’ve gone back to 16v. Not sure what’s going on with 12v but music sounds dull. It’s not something I can get used to. 16v sounds perfect to me. At 16v is taking similar sound of stock power supply but it’s smoother, more liquid, natural sounding. Easier to follow bass lines and high have no harshness at all.

Voltage doesn’t much sense since Rob said it gets converted to 5v inside but others have said going higher than 12v improves sound.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #14,844 of 25,884
So I’ve gone back to 16v. Not sure what’s going on with 12v but music sounds dull. It’s not something I can get used to. 16v sounds perfect to me. At 16v is taking similar sound of stock power supply but it’s smoother, more liquid, natural sounding. Easier to follow bass lines and high have no harshness at all.

Voltage doesn’t much sense since Rob said it gets converted to 5v inside but others have said going higher than 12v improves sound.
I don’t know if this applies to the M Scaler but I have read more than once in this and other forums that more volts means less current meaning less noise, but I have also read that this does not apply to every device.

Interested by this latest discussion, I yesterday powered my M Scaler with 9v, 12v and 15v from my SR4T-19. It sounded great on all three settings, but was a little more fleshed out, more ‘all there’ at 15v.

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #14,845 of 25,884
So now I’ve gone full circle with the HF filter. I was strictly HF on for any file type and even with the mscaler. Then started playing with crossfeed and found HF off sounded better if crossfeed was on.

So then on quick listen thought HF off sounded better even with no crossfeed. But it’s misleading. You hear more detail and a veil lifted but then you lose texture and bass bloom that makes drums sound so real. I noticed that when I left HF on I wanted to listen more and felt more connected to the music. It moved me. With it off, it seems technically better but not being pulled in by the rhythm. So I now see where quick back and forth comparisons don’t help. Need to listen to full tracks to get best idea of settings.

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #14,846 of 25,884
So now I’ve gone full circle with the HF filter. I was strictly HF on for any file type and even with the mscaler. Then started playing with crossfeed and found HF off sounded better if crossfeed was on.

So then on quick listen thought HF off sounded better even with no crossfeed. But it’s misleading. You hear more detail and a veil lifted but then you lose texture and bass bloom that makes drums sound so real. I noticed that when I left HF on I wanted to listen more and felt more connected to the music. It moved me. With it off, it seems technically better but not being pulled in by the rhythm. So I now see where quick back and forth comparisons don’t help. Need to listen to full tracks to get best idea of settings.
So when you keep filter on, what do you set crossfeed at?

I have been on crossfeed 1 and off lately.

Jul 3, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #14,847 of 25,884
Chord Electronics Etude amplifier now available in the ‘for sale’ thread.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #14,848 of 25,884
So when you keep filter on, what do you set crossfeed at?

I have been on crossfeed 1 and off lately.

I’m still with no crossfeed. Even with setting 1 I feel slightly removed from the music. I like the feeling where the music starts in your head and moves outward from there creating the headspace. With crossfeed on the music starts in front of you so you don’t feel the bass the same way. This just a personal preference.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #14,849 of 25,884

I kept playing around with the settings and I ended up liking HF Filter Off with 0/1/2/3 cross feed over HF Filter ON with 0 Crossfeed. Everyone listens/hears/prefers different. Thanks for encouraging me to try for myself. For me I feel like I lost out on some details when using HF Filter On with the M Scaler and it bothered me too much.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #14,850 of 25,884
I kept playing around with the settings and I ended up liking HF Filter Off with 0/1/2/3 cross feed over HF Filter ON with 0 Crossfeed. Everyone listens/hears/prefers different. Thanks for encouraging me to try for myself. For me I feel like I lost out on some details when using HF Filter On with the M Scaler and it bothered me too much.

Yes I get that too but when I took a step back and just listened to the music without analyzing and comparing, I found I was enjoying the overall balance and weight more with HF on. But if directly comparing, with HF off, there is more detail in the highs but the sound is a little thinner. It sounds better right away but loses something with longer listening but this is all headphone dependent too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back