CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 26, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #14,597 of 25,919
i also have six of Analysis Plus power cables that I had chosen after comparing between three sets of cable from different companies loaned by Cable company 7 years ago.

Analysis Plus or Shunyata tend to give warm and full sound while Syn Blue give transparent sound with more details.

i recommend people to try out cables in their system before making final decision.

There is no best cable for everyone.

it will depend on system and personal taste.

I had done cable rolling for more than 30 years.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #14,598 of 25,919
It is however consistent with my listening with my previous Innuos Zenith SE with and without the Innuos Phoenix reclocker. The Phoenix made a clearly audible improvement in all the areas you mention and also to me ears gave a clear improvement to the bass depth and detail.

This made me chuckle. I remember reporting a couple of years ago that my Zenith SE into BluDave sounded notably better with a SOtM tX-U and even better again with the addition of the OCX10 Master Clock. I was told by a few on here that there was no benefit adding the peripheral clocking items since Chord DAC’s re-clock the signal anyway and that what I was likely enjoying was distortion.:grin:

May 26, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #14,599 of 25,919
This made me chuckle. I remember reporting a couple of years ago that my Zenith SE into BluDave sounded notably better with a SOtM tX-U and even better again with the addition of the OCX10 Master Clock. I was told by a few on here that there was no benefit adding the peripheral clocking items since Chord DAC’s re-clock the signal anyway and that what I was likely enjoying was distortion.:grin:

To be fair I’m still not convinced that it is the reclocking which is responsible for the improvement or whether it is the better power supply in the Phoenix reclocker.

May 27, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #14,601 of 25,919
Hi TU,

What is the difference between the SJ DC3 and DC4?

On another note, I have heard some say that the SMPS in DAVE is very good but it's the noise it injects back into the power line that can contaminate the rest of the system.

This is where isolation transformer may help.

If one's system is simply a laptop on batteries with DAVE via headphones, it may not be as much of an issue.

I wonder whether the improvement you are hearing in your speaker/amp setup is related to less "noise injection" back into your powerline.

Perhaps the magnitude of change is not as great with a simpler setup??

Just curious.

G

May 27, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #14,602 of 25,919
Whilst I agree with OC on source, Dave can do a lot with a simple source. I think cost is always a consideration too. For me the biggest jump in SQ I heard on my system for least cost in the last 3 years (and they are not cheap) was changing 5 fuses over to Synergistic Research Orange Fuses.

Improving my electrics overall delivered very long lasting results in terms of musical enjoyment. Good clean flowing electrics make even average cost hifi sound much more natural imo. Especially mass orchestral strings. I used to think the lack of smoothness and edge on mass strings was on the recording but it is not.

There is some great stuff out there these days and I am continually surprised at the quality of gear. I recently bought a Kimber Palladian PK10 power cable for £1500 and tbh if I had known it would give such clean quality power and outstanding weighty and articulate bass I would have saved on the Isotek Ascension power cables at double the price. Though very good, the the Ascension is not twice as good.

Audio Bacon did a review of 27 power cables here and The Kimber Palladian PK10 did pretty well
https://audiobacon.net/2019/08/17/27-audiophile-power-cables-reviewed/

I'm also a firm believer in power cords for the Dave and even the sever. I'm running an HFC Pro on my Dave and a Sablon King on my server and could never go back to the stock cords.

If I had a $5K budget, I would probably split it up between a server, power cord, and "other" (USB cable, Fuses, Power conditioner etc) rather than spending all of it on one thing or the other.

May 27, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #14,603 of 25,919
You are best to contact SJ direct about the DC3 and DC4. All I know from hearing them is that one is better than the other and costs quite a bit more but I think the extra cost is justified. I will PM his contact details.

Regarding your thought as to whether it is noise put back into the mains from the factory SMPS that is causing an issue, I can say that my first experiment was simply to remove the SMPS from the Dave and put it in an external box connected by an umbilical to the Dave. That gave a clear improvement (softer top end etc) and obviously anything to do with noise back into the mains had not been changed by that experiment. Then, when I was using a SJ DC4 for the Dave I connected the Dave SMPS into the same power strip and turning on the SMPS had no effect on the SQ. Hence I have good reason to think there is no particular issue in that respect.

May 27, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #14,605 of 25,919
You are best to contact SJ direct about the DC3 and DC4. All I know from hearing them is that one is better than the other and costs quite a bit more but I think the extra cost is justified. I will PM his contact details.

Regarding your thought as to whether it is noise put back into the mains from the factory SMPS that is causing an issue, I can say that my first experiment was simply to remove the SMPS from the Dave and put it in an external box connected by an umbilical to the Dave. That gave a clear improvement (softer top end etc) and obviously anything to do with noise back into the mains had not been changed by that experiment. Then, when I was using a SJ DC4 for the Dave I connected the Dave SMPS into the same power strip and turning on the SMPS had no effect on the SQ. Hence I have good reason to think there is no particular issue in that respect.
When you connected the smps, how did you load it if you used dc4 to drive the dave?

As a side note Martin Collums reported that powering Dave did negativly effect his system, and stipulated that that was why he was not 100% convinced by dave When using it as a source. I think he used naim electronics and magico s5 mk2 speakers

May 27, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #14,606 of 25,919
May 27, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #14,607 of 25,919
Where have you finally settled and why as to HF Filter: (ON) or (OFF)?

I finally finished testing the HF filter in the Off setting over the last two weeks. I just left it off the whole time. While this setting was still enjoyable, it’s a little analytical with the Focal Utopia even with the mscaler. And there were a few tracks that were bright.

So when I finally turned the HF filter back on all the warmth and bass textures were back. The music has more weight and is more musical. It may be subtle but it makes all the difference with the Utopia’s. The off setting was enough to make me purchase a Danacable Reference to try and get the musical feeling back. I should be getting that this Friday but I should have just tried changing the setting back instead. I’m sure the cable will improve things even more but may not be necessary.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #14,608 of 25,919
To be fair I’m still not convinced that it is the reclocking which is responsible for the improvement or whether it is the better power supply in the Phoenix reclocker.

Bit of both I think. Otherwise, we‘ve over spent on our Statement’s. :wink:

Hey, that’s my 500th post - I’m quite surprised at that.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #14,609 of 25,919
Have any of you Innuos Statement owners noticed a change in the sound since 1.44v Software was installed? I don't see how this is possible but I would swear it has improved clarity.

May 28, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #14,610 of 25,919
Have any of you Innuos Statement owners noticed a change in the sound since 1.44v Software was installed? I don't see how this is possible but I would swear it has improved clarity.
I’m without a couple of my highest performing peripherals at the moment, but yes, there does seem to be a change in the direction of more clarity. I’ll need time to judge whether it is an all-round improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back