CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 20, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #14,056 of 25,909
I had Blu2 and Dave from when they first came out. I had (freely admit it is a tough life!) to get TT2 and Mscaler to help develop my cables and like many I wondered if the TT2 would be near enough to the Dave so I could sell the Dave. IMO the TT2 just isn't in the same ballpark as Dave and unless TT2 is needed to drive difficult headphones it would be Dave every time for me if it is feasible financially.

But your best plan is to go to Bristol and talk to the nice Chord chaps and then seek out a dealer that you can bully cajole into giving you a good deal on a Dave!

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #14,057 of 25,909
In all fairness I’ll be listening through a 2 channel system, only use headphones when travelling. For eg to the bristol show on the train for over 3 hrs.
presuming the DAVE more than holds it own in this capacity, not sure if the improvements in sound will be as prolific as through cans, but I’m sure a measurable improvement through speakers. Setting wallet to self destruct mode. :astonished:

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #14,058 of 25,909
You guys ain’t helping me save my money you know. I was thinking TT2+HMS. Looks like I’ll be going DAVE. I’m Heading to the bristol show tomorrow, I’ll have a chat with the nice chaps at Chord, get me a proper demo.
still can’t decide on silver or black. Decisions decisions.
There was the pre-owned dave on sale at nintronics

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #14,059 of 25,909
There was the pre-owned dave on sale at nintronics

yeah saw that, not had fantastic dealings with nintronics to be fair, last contact I had with them took ages to reply, but when they finally did, boy did they try to push the sale. When spending that amount of cash I’d rather deal direct with a company that allows some breathing room for me to find out if its what I want, then and after that we can negotiate a good, better deal Etc.. never want to feel rushed especially with a huge outlay like this.

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #14,060 of 25,909
In all fairness I’ll be listening through a 2 channel system, only use headphones when travelling. For eg to the bristol show on the train for over 3 hrs.
presuming the DAVE more than holds it own in this capacity, not sure if the improvements in sound will be as prolific as through cans, but I’m sure a measurable improvement through speakers. Setting wallet to self destruct mode. :astonished:

I only use speakers but for me the improvement with Dave in a speaker system is significant and worth a listen. There is a little used Dave on eBay UK at the moment open to offers . . . .

Feb 20, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #14,062 of 25,909
I must be crazy but I am thinking about trading in my hugo TT2 + m-scaler for a Dave. I remembered listening to the Dave a couple of years ago and was immediately struck by the intricacies of the presentation.

Would I be foolish to give up the 1M+ tap performance of the Hugo TT2+M-scaler and just rely on the Dave?

It would be both foolish and crazy to give up the M-Scaler, only to (inevitably) buy it again.
If you can't afford to part exchange your TT2 for a DAVE, or find a second hand DAVE, then save up some money until you can.

OTOH, you're an audiophile, so "foolish" and "crazy" are par for the course :relaxed:

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #14,064 of 25,909
You guys ain’t helping me save my money you know. I was thinking TT2+HMS. Looks like I’ll be going DAVE. I’m Heading to the bristol show tomorrow, I’ll have a chat with the nice chaps at Chord, get me a proper demo.
still can’t decide on silver or black. Decisions decisions.
Black seems to have higher resale. Click, add to cart, checkout.

Feb 21, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #14,066 of 25,909
yeah saw that, not had fantastic dealings with nintronics to be fair, last contact I had with them took ages to reply, but when they finally did, boy did they try to push the sale. When spending that amount of cash I’d rather deal direct with a company that allows some breathing room for me to find out if its what I want, then and after that we can negotiate a good, better deal Etc.. never want to feel rushed especially with a huge outlay like this.
Sorry to hear you had this experience. If it’s just the once, I would give them another try. I’ve been dealing with Nintronics for a few years, and never had a bad experience. They were never pushy, not even when I decided not to buy gear they had loaned to me.

Feb 21, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #14,067 of 25,909
Guy’s I’m in the process of buying a new Dave in Silver what is the best but not crazy in price for a Power Cable and also a good USB cable? And I am already using the following a DH Labs Mirage USB Cable 1 Meter and a AUDIOQUEST Carbon USB. And the Power Cable is a AUDIOQUEST NRG-Z3 with the new AUDIOQUEST NIAGARA 1200.

Feb 21, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #14,068 of 25,909
Guy’s I’m in the process of buying a new Dave in Silver what is the best but not crazy in price for a Power Cable and also a good USB cable? And I am already using the following a DH Labs Mirage USB Cable 1 Meter and a AUDIOQUEST Carbon USB. And the Power Cable is a AUDIOQUEST NRG-Z3 with the new AUDIOQUEST NIAGARA 1200.
If you haven‘t got an M Scaler I think you should put all your money towards getting one. Then, and only then, if you have any money left, mess with cables.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #14,069 of 25,909
I have listened to the combo 2 times and find it does wonders for the TT2, but for me I thought it took the Dave backwards in sound making it sound hollow and thin. Not sure if the sales person had it setup incorrectly or had a certain filter ON giving me that effect but as of now this is what I am looking for and if I want more I can always upgrade later.

Feb 21, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #14,070 of 25,909
If you haven‘t got an M Scaler I think you should put all your money towards getting one. Then, and only then, if you have any money left, mess with cables.

I absolutely agree with this advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back