CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 23, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #14,086 of 25,909
I don't dispute that the mod changes the sound signature.
Yes Rob is an open-minded designer, but the normal Chord position is that any unapproved mods void the warranty.

Yes, you are right of course and I wouldn’t expect many to even consider this mod. However, Dave is coming up 5 years old now, so many warranties are long gone. My bet is that the Dave 2, whenever that emerges, will have a totally different power supply arrangement.

Ah, you amended your post. So Dave is 5 years warranty - more than I expected and good to know. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #14,087 of 25,909
yeah saw that, not had fantastic dealings with nintronics to be fair, last contact I had with them took ages to reply, but when they finally did, boy did they try to push the sale. When spending that amount of cash I’d rather deal direct with a company that allows some breathing room for me to find out if its what I want, then and after that we can negotiate a good, better deal Etc.. never want to feel rushed especially with a huge outlay like this.
Sorry to hear about your experience with Nintronics, my experience was completely different. Spent several hours demoing the Aries Cerat Genus with and without some of my own equipment. A pleasure to deal with and I did not purchase the Genus no hard sell the whole experience was like two audiophiles having a listening session. I phoned several days later to say I would not be making a purchase and that was it. I would use them again no hesitation.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #14,088 of 25,909
Sorry to hear about your experience with Nintronics, my experience was completely different. Spent several hours demoing the Aries Cerat Genus with and without some of my own equipment. A pleasure to deal with and I did not purchase the Genus no hard sell the whole experience was like two audiophiles having a listening session. I phoned several days later to say I would not be making a purchase and that was it. I would use them again no hesitation.

I can only agree with this Clive. One of the posts about Nintronics, which may have been intended as a joke, is defamatory and I am surprised that it still stands on the forum. I don’t know Nintronics and have never visited their store, but I contacted them online just after the Dave had come out nearly 5 years ago and was in high demand. They sent me a unit for home trial and I was never under any pressure whatsoever. I decided to buy a Dave and they gave me a very fair p/ex on my DSX1000. Then, when it transpired that my Dave would be some while because Chord were having problems keeping up with demand, Nintronics allowed me to keep the trial Dave until mine was delivered. How could you ask for more?

With that kind of service, I naturally went back to them when the Blu II came out and, again, they sent me a unit for trial at home. No money up front, no demands. I bought one and again got a very fair p/ex on my CD transport. So I bought my Mojo, Poly and a Hugo 2 from them as well when they came out. Just recently, they sent me over £12,000 worth of cables to try in my system. Again, no pressure on how long I had them, no money up front and no pressure to purchase.

To suggest in public forum that they are borderline bankrupt and money launderers is quite outrageous, even if intended as a joke. Perhaps the quality of service is related to the quality of the customer?

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #14,089 of 25,909
Yes, you are right of course and I wouldn’t expect many to even consider this mod. However, Dave is coming up 5 years old now, so many warranties are long gone. My bet is that the Dave 2, whenever that emerges, will have a totally different power supply arrangement.

Ah, you amended your post. So Dave is 5 years warranty - more than I expected and good to know. Thanks.:thumbsup:
I thought that it was five years, but you have put a doubt in my mind.
I will check, but sorry if I have accidentally posted an inaccurate warranty period.

Feb 24, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #14,091 of 25,909
So I am now waiting for the seller to send me the Dave and I have already sold my Blu Mk2 to finance it. As for my Hugo TT2, I’m kinda undecided on selling it as I might use it for my work desk. Having the Dave next to the Hugo TT2 will also allow me to compare them side by side.
hmmm.. but it’s a bit overkill to keep 2 high end dacs right?

Having heard and been very impressed with the TT2, I'd say you'd sell it after hearing it side-by-side with the DAVE after a week or so...the differences are quite profound.

Feb 24, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #14,092 of 25,909
So I am now waiting for the seller to send me the Dave and I have already sold my Blu Mk2 to finance it. As for my Hugo TT2, I’m kinda undecided on selling it as I might use it for my work desk. Having the Dave next to the Hugo TT2 will also allow me to compare them side by side.
hmmm.. but it’s a bit overkill to keep 2 high end dacs right?

Yes, so sell the TT2 and get an Mscaler for the Dave. :relaxed: If you buy a second hand MScaler you should be able to buy it cheaper than you can sell the TT2.

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #14,093 of 25,909
Having heard and been very impressed with the TT2, I'd say you'd sell it after hearing it side-by-side with the DAVE after a week or so...the differences are quite profound.
Yes, so sell the TT2 and get an Mscaler for the Dave. :relaxed: If you buy a second hand MScaler you should be able to buy it cheaper than you can sell the TT2.

Oh Gosh! You guys are not making things any easier....

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #14,094 of 25,909
It was actually Macedonian who convinced me to get the DAVE. I trusted his opinion and am waiting for mine. Quite excited.

Feb 24, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #14,095 of 25,909
I moved from a TT2/Mscal to a Dave/Mscal. My original Dave had an issue and I couldn’t use my Mscaler. I preferred a solo DAVE over the TT2/Mscal. Now I can use my Mscaler with my loaner DAVE, and it’s amazing. A DAVE is the way to go

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #14,096 of 25,909
Still patiently waiting... sigh.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #14,097 of 25,909
Still patiently waiting... sigh.

Ooh you're in for a treat. You have many hours rifling through your music collection marveling at the sound to look forward to (after patient burn in of course!).

Feb 24, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #14,098 of 25,909
I'm using an oppo pm1 headphone with a £400 pure silver headphone cable from artisan cables from the Isle of Wight. Does everyone think i would get a real and profound improvement by trading my TT2 for a Dave and using my pm1 headphone with my mscaler and a new Dave. So not diminishing returns here but a big improvement. Or should i use that money to buy a TOTL headphone to compliment my pm1 to use with my mTT2. There would probably be about a year or longer till i could spend again on audio. I have one big spend a year on audio. Imagine the question i pose here as being in some ways hypothetical and also as one concerning a final end game solution without me being able to try first. Depending on my finances it could be a reality one way or the other sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #14,099 of 25,909
Amber your query the mscaler takes inputs up to 32 bits:

PCM support: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz, 705.6 and 768kHz – 16 to 32bit

Feb 24, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #14,100 of 25,909
Ooh you're in for a treat. You have many hours rifling through your music collection marveling at the sound to look forward to (after patient burn in of course!).

I was very surprised how effortless the Dave was with the music. I went from the TT2 for about 15 minutes then added the TT2/M Scaler and I was wow this is really good and there is no way the stand alone Dave will beat this combo. I was wrong big time on that..
Also Going to audition the Blu2 and see how it sounds then back to the M Scaler if all goes well I will be buying one of them to add to the Dave.

What will be the burn in time for the Dave?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back