CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 1, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #14,011 of 25,835
I'd look at the cables in between your DAVE and HPA4 with either the Phi TC or Susvara. I'm using the Water Audioquest XLRs and love it...just perfect tonality to my ears.

I tried the AQ Earth, AQ Sky and Chord Shawline. The best by far was the Earth (which shares its roots with the water). There are some that swear by that cable despite it not being the fashionable all silver cables like the Sky. The Earth is a mid priced gem. The more expensive Sky made the sound thinner, which gave the illusion of more detail but i found it fatiguing. Earth gives a warm edge while not losing any detail. After extensive comparison, I stand by what I said previously. The soundstage is wider with the demanding headphones via the HPA4 than DAVE directly. This can mean moving the artists a few steps further away which I can understand may be perceived as reduced intimacy. But the more I switched back and forth I realized with some tracks the intimacy was just as present with the HPA4 when the soundstage of the recording was smaller.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #14,012 of 25,835
did you try feeding straight into the Dave and alternatively feeding your whole electrics hub?
Actually, I had not thought of doing that. I use an Isotek distribution board for the whole hifi setup and connected to it so all devices would benefit. Let me think about how to re-arrange connections so that only the Chord DAC is using the Syncro. BTW I opted for HMS+TT2 as preferable to a Dave for now, but who knows what the future will hold? :blush:

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #14,013 of 25,835
Following Dave's post a little while back, I borrowed an EVO 3 SYNCRO UNI to insert in my power supply. It is specifically aimed at removing stray DC offset current from the public supply. On initial listening I have to say it does make quite a difference, in pretty much the way Dave described in his post. I don't think it is a complete power cleaner - removing RFI/EMI for example - but 'focus' is a good word for what it does do.

What is the likelihood of DC on the mains in the UK?

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #14,014 of 25,835
I think the common understanding is that dc like rfi is more and more likely due to new devices and led lampes etc. But I don’t know for sure.

Perhaps @Rob Watts could comment on if Dave is sensitive to dc, my main experience is that power transformers tend to sound more if there is dc, but Dave psu does not have a big transformer.

Feb 1, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #14,015 of 25,835
From what I understand it is pretty common

Feb 1, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #14,016 of 25,835
I think the common understanding is that dc like rfi is more and more likely due to new devices and led lampes etc. But I don’t know for sure.

Perhaps @Rob Watts could comment on if Dave is sensitive to dc, my main experience is that power transformers tend to sound more if there is dc, but Dave psu does not have a big transformer.

It will be interesting to see about this and I await to see if RW has any thoughts. One might anticipate that the medical grade smps in the Dave power supply should not be particularly worried by this issue and should be stable, low noise and unaffected by dc offset on the mains.

Feb 4, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #14,018 of 25,835
So I am also running the DAVE + HMS combo but i'm having the issues with drop outs and slight popping noise when using Dual BNC connections. I know this is quite a common issue. I've tried switching the BNC 1 + 2 on the DAVE to 3 + 4 but I still seem to have the dropouts on both sets of BNC on the DAVE. Using the stock BNC cables that came with the m scaler. (Btw does BNC 1 on the HMS connect to the 3 or 4 on the DAVE? I have tried both BNC 1 (HMS) to BNC 3/4 (DAVE) and BNC 2 (HMS) to 3/4 (DAVE)) and either way the drop out / pop noises issues still occur regardless).

With the HMS upsample rate in low (red), medium (green), and high (purple) the issue is gone as well. It only occurs when in max upsample mode (white) which in turns activates the D BNC input on DAVE side. I believe the dropouts and pop noises only come when DBNC input on DAVE is activated.

I have read that for some people it worked when switching to BNC 3+4 on DAVE, and I believe Rob confirmed that older DAVE's and newer DAVE's are the exact same in design and changing DAVE's in hopes for a newer/older built DAVE shouldn't fix the issue.

Edit: Ok now the popping sounds and drop outs occur both when using USB AND optical input into the HMS.. on both sets of BNC on the DAVE... its much worse when BNC 1+2 on DAVE

Edit 2: Ok I've tried to move the HMS further away from my source ~2 meters away, on BNC 3+4 on DAVE there is still the popping/crackling noise and drop outs (still un-listenable and unacceptable). BNC 1+2 on DAVE still is unable to be used... full drop outs and enormous amounts of crackling.

Thanks for your time!

It sounds like your DAVE needs to go back for a modification. Apparently some Dave's need this.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #14,019 of 25,835
So I am also running the DAVE + HMS combo but i'm having the issues with drop outs and slight popping noise when using Dual BNC connections. I know this is quite a common issue. I've tried switching the BNC 1 + 2 on the DAVE to 3 + 4 but I still seem to have the dropouts on both sets of BNC on the DAVE. Using the stock BNC cables that came with the m scaler. (Btw does BNC 1 on the HMS connect to the 3 or 4 on the DAVE? I have tried both BNC 1 (HMS) to BNC 3/4 (DAVE) and BNC 2 (HMS) to 3/4 (DAVE)) and either way the drop out / pop noises issues still occur regardless).

With the HMS upsample rate in low (red), medium (green), and high (purple) the issue is gone as well. It only occurs when in max upsample mode (white) which in turns activates the D BNC input on DAVE side. I believe the dropouts and pop noises only come when DBNC input on DAVE is activated.

I have read that for some people it worked when switching to BNC 3+4 on DAVE, and I believe Rob confirmed that older DAVE's and newer DAVE's are the exact same in design and changing DAVE's in hopes for a newer/older built DAVE shouldn't fix the issue.

Edit: Ok now the popping sounds and drop outs occur both when using USB AND optical input into the HMS.. on both sets of BNC on the DAVE... its much worse when BNC 1+2 on DAVE

Edit 2: Ok I've tried to move the HMS further away from my source ~2 meters away, on BNC 3+4 on DAVE there is still the popping/crackling noise and drop outs (still un-listenable and unacceptable). BNC 1+2 on DAVE still is unable to be used... full drop outs and enormous amounts of crackling.

Thanks for your time!

I have had a Dave since they were first introduced and I NEVER had any drop outs ever. Well not until a couple of days ago when I got quite a few and was rather concerned. Luckily I realised that I had been swopping stuff around and had accidentally put dave near to a power supply for a different piece of equipment. I moved the power supply and all was returned to 'no drop out' stability.

It is worth checking if you have anything else near to Dave or near to any cables connected to Dave.

If that doesn't work then as others have said, a return to Chord might be required for adjustment.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #14,020 of 25,835
I finally got the YouTube app on the IBASSO DX 220 DAP device that I use as a portable music file transport via optical out and YES it it can output the audio stream and be up-scaled by my CHORD DAVE/HMS. The only problem is that lip synch is way off making watching the music video annoying. Does anyone have a fix for the synch problem? I think this sort of thing happens with some digital TV monitors and a delay needs to be dialed into the video signal.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #14,021 of 25,835
I've recently changed my USB cable feeding the M Scaler/Dave combo. Never ceases to amaze me how a USB cable can change the sound of a system.

I previously used the Danacable TruStream USB. What the new FTA Callisto 0.8 mtr USB brings to my system is the following:
Improved Timbre/Tone, More believable and natural dynamics, more weight in the lower mids, more weight in the lower bass (almost like I have added a very subtle subwoofer to the mix), improved flow and musicality, much more natural high's (less edgy particularly when using Synergistic Research HFT's on my speakers), Less shouty sound, more organic and natural presentation ................ I guess more like real music.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #14,023 of 25,835
I think you need to have it looked at.

Feb 8, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #14,024 of 25,835

Thanks for your time!
Contact Chord, I'm sure they will assist you. And once its working, you will have one of the finest DACs available. I rediscovered new tracks like I have never heard before tonight and I looked over at my DAVE+Blu Mk 2 and smiled-- you will soon too. Thank you for connecting me with the music, @Rob Watts.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 3:43 AM Post #14,025 of 25,835
What are the main differences between having HMS with the DAVE and without?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back