CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 27, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #13,471 of 25,821
Hello there gentlemen, serious question, I have an excellent offer of a new Dave which I've basically accepted already, but one question remains.

The headphone out, how good or bad is it at driving headphones ? To put it into perspective I never ever go higher than -15H on TT2 for brief periods, the rest of the time it's at -30H or higher, like 35 -45H

I don't own Susvara or the likes, so will I be able to get loud music via Dave's headphone output, I'm using HD800S and Mr Speakers Aeon Closed and easy to drive Audio Technica's.

1, will I get a good loud volume with my headphones.
2, am I likely to have problems due to dave only having 2watts on it's headphone out port ?

Basically, am I likely to notice the lack of power on daves headphone port ?
Is this dave instead of the empyreans?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #13,472 of 25,821
Based on your current Hugo TT2 usage and headphones, you're not going to have problems driving the headphones with DAVE. I drive my Aeon Closed, Focal Utopia and HD650 perfectly fine and at my local Head-Fi meets, DAVE drives HD800S and my headphones more than loud enough for everyone there. (I tend to listen at 10-20dB quieter than most people at my local meet). I find at the meet, it's really only with some headphones like HE1000 or LCD4 where some people who prefer a much louder volume where they would want DAVE to go beyond +4dB. Based on your current listening volume, I don't think you'll run into any problems.

-15H would be max for maybe 30 seconds and then I would start going back upwards. I usually sit say anything from -25 - 45H depending on time of day and music I'm listening to.

I would hate to get a dave for me to then realise TT2 is where it's at HP wise.

Empys were a demo, try befo I buy kinda thing. But dave is a trade in of TT2+spons on top.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #13,473 of 25,821
Hello there gentlemen, serious question, I have an excellent offer of a new Dave which I've basically accepted already, but one question remains.

The headphone out, how good or bad is it at driving headphones ? To put it into perspective I never ever go higher than -15H on TT2 for brief periods, the rest of the time it's at -30H or higher, like 35 -45H

I don't own Susvara or the likes, so will I be able to get loud music via Dave's headphone output, I'm using HD800S and Mr Speakers Aeon Closed and easy to drive Audio Technica's.

2, am I likely to have problems due to dave only having 2watts on it's headphone out port ?

I have used the DAVE with the HD800S for several months and never went above -10dB even with very quietly recorded classical music tracks. I typically listen at about 80-85dB perceived SPL (OK, sometimes I go well above 90dB when I am in the right mood :sunglasses:).

I am now listening to the DAVE with the much (much) less efficient AB-1266 Phi TC, and they play just fine in most situations.

DAVE (especially if M Scaled) and HD800S is a great pairing IMO, especially if you are after transparency, soundstage, imaging, 'plankton' detail retrieval.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #13,474 of 25,821
I have used the DAVE with the HD800S for several months and never went above -10dB even with very quietly recorded classical music tracks. I typically listen at about 80-85dB perceived SPL (OK, sometimes I go well above 90dB when I am in the right mood :sunglasses:).

I am now listening to the DAVE with the much (much) less efficient AB-1266 Phi TC, and they play just fine in most situations.

DAVE (especially if M Scaled) and HD800S is a great pairing IMO, especially if you are after transparency, soundstage, imaging, 'plankton' detail retrieval.

Thats what I like to hear, I did ask Rob and he said headphones would be ok, no driving problems for what I use but real world usage stories help calm me down.

Aug 27, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #13,475 of 25,821

The Dave is actually a very good and clean amp section which as we all know is not separate from the DAC stage....in fact it will drive pretty much everything other than the susvara and abyss TC...the LCD-4 is on the border and can be listened to with and or without external amp depending on preference...I personally go back and forth all the time...unless you plan to listen to one of the perhaps 3 HP's out there that would need an external amp the dave will do quite nicely

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #13,476 of 25,821
The Dave is actually a very and clean amp section which as we all know is not separate from the DAC stage....in fact it will drive pretty much everything other than the susvara and abyss TC...the LCD-4 is on the border and can be listened to with and or without external amp depending on preference...I personally go back and forth all the time...unless you plan to listen to one of the perhaps 3 HP's out there that would need an external amp the dave will do quite nicely

Another good answer.

I've been too'ing and fro'ing about doing this since about january, maybe february, I was gunna get a demo from my dealer but I turned him down, then I was going to do it and pulled out and these last couple of weeks it's been on my mind but I would of liked to hear a dave v my tt2, but looks like I will just go straight to a dave.

Comparing tt2 and dave, headphone users, can you or did you notice a big improvement when listening to dave compared to a tt2 ?

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #13,477 of 25,821

funny, i was just playing the Abyss TC straight out of the dave as well and it is quite nice but in most cases with the TC i do think an amp enhances it....the LCD-4 is a better match for the dave without an amp

Aug 28, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #13,478 of 25,821
funny, i was just playing the Abyss TC straight out of the dave as well and it is quite nice but in most cases with the TC i do think an amp enhances it....

While I maintain that direct drive from the DAVE is 'just fine', I agree that in order to squeeze 100% of the potential of the Abyss TC in all situations an (excellent) amp is necessary.

I am currently in the process of evaluating several amps, both headphones and speakers, to get back there :)

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #13,480 of 25,821
While I maintain that direct drive from the DAVE is 'just fine', I agree that in order to squeeze 100% of the potential of the Abyss TC in all situations an (excellent) amp is necessary.

You can add me to this list as well WRT to the Phi TC. "Just fine" from the DAVE, but on another level with either the HPA4 or GS-X Mini.

Aug 31, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #13,481 of 25,821
Sorry if this is redundant and asked before.

I remain a bit confused about the dual BNC cable connections between HMS and DAVE.

I don’t want to mix up right and left channels and not sure which dual BNC inputs to use for DAVE. The manuals are not very specific and unclear
About left and right channels.

Right now I have HMS dual BNC 1 out to DAVE dual BNC 3 top and HMS dual BNC 2 out to DAVE dual BNC 4 bottom. Is this correct and does it matter if on DAVE the paired 1/2 or 3/4 inputs are used??

Thanks

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #13,482 of 25,821
1 to 1 and 2 to 2 I think?

Not sure about 3 and 4.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #13,484 of 25,821
1 to 1 and 2 to 2 I think?

Not sure about 3 and 4.
BNC 3 and BNC 4 are the second input pair suitable for dual-BNC mode – to be connected to HMS BNC 1 and BNC 2 as well. Think even to even, odd to odd.

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #13,485 of 25,821
Comparing tt2 and dave, headphone users, can you or did you notice a big improvement when listening to dave compared to a tt2 ?

I just did a marathon 8 hour listening session to TT2 and DAVE with and without MScaler on all kinds of music and top end headphones at a dealer, and to me the DAVE + MScaler killed everything else so badly I couldn't really listen to any other combination. Which was kinda depressing given the full price of the combo. But it's truly insanely good. Leaving detaily-y stuff of this guitar pick shining or that cymbal attack out of it, everything in the music comes together into one coherent very moving whole so powerful I couldn't stop listening.

But I'll have to dream, because the combo's way beyond my price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back