CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 30, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #12,648 of 25,883
Agreed.

Well I thought you were telling us that 90% sold as Hi Res were in fact just upscaled so according to you then your answer to your own question is 10%. Maybe there needs to be some sort of advertising standard on this.
Bloody right there should be. I actually think I’m being kind when I say 90%. This is why the HMS is revolutionly because you can here CD quality at it’s level best without signing up to the ‘High Res/MQA self serving industry hype, oh and I should qualify IMHO, right.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #12,649 of 25,883
A source of good quality music 16 or 24 bit is a site called "Bandcamp". I bought a VNV Nation album "Resonance" in 24/88khz and it sounds magnificent. However unlike the majority of their albums, this one was done with an orchestra. And a lot of older albums by various artists are on this site at 24 bits.
I am listening now to a internet radio show that plays quite a few tracks from Bandcamp. I second that the site is worth exploring, because there is plenty of good well recorded music there.

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #12,650 of 25,883
I am listening now to a internet radio show that plays quite a few tracks from Bandcamp. I second that the site is worth exploring, because there is plenty of good well recorded music there.
I should have added that some of the albums on Bandcamp cost as little as $1.00!! Plus you can buy cassettes, vinyl and artist merchandise.
I believe a good proportion of the proceeds go straight to the artist/band. You can see how much has been given to the artist/band on the home page.

And some artists/bands give you the opportunity to buy their entire back catalogue, so for example I bought 235 albums (yes really!!) from Blank Embrace for $35!!! Now I just need to find the time to listen to them all!!

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #12,651 of 25,883
Can anyone help me? I managed to get the funds for either the TT2 or a Dave for about £5k. The dream is to save up for the Abyss Phi CC next but would I be better served with the TT2 or the Dave. Don’t think I’ll get the opportunity again so what I get I’m stuck with in a way. Thanks for any help for a newbie .

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #12,652 of 25,883
I finally got to audition the DAVE vs TT2 this past weekend. High gain on TT2, no crossfeed. Quick A/B between the two using my iPhone as a source (Tidal) over USB using my usual test tracks. Unfortunately, did not compare the DAVE and TT2 both MScaled as originally planned.

These past several weeks, several users have already alluded to the idea that bc of its greater op stage, the TT2 offers a more immersive and musical experience with slightly difficult to drive headphones such as the Ether 2, 92dB (inner fidelity), LCD4 (stereonet), HEK V2 (romaz), Susvara (jude) compared to the DAVE. Ok, makes sense but what I really wanted to know was how efficient headphones fared on the two DACs. These last few months, I've tested and auditioned nearly every TOTL headphones on TOTL $10k amps (except for the Ether 2), and settled on the Empyrean. It sounded the best to me. But another reason I chose it is because its rated efficiency (100dB) would allow me to pair it with the DAVE without the nagging feeling that the TT2's greater dynamic drive might offer something more in terms of weight and authority. For headphone users, one of the DAVE's (sometimes) noted minor drawback is that it can sound slightly on the lean side, lacking some 'meat' so to speak. After all, who doesn't want more acoustic heft and slam when listening to tunes? Then, @STR-1 mentioned that even his very efficient Utopias benefited from the extra weight and authority with the TT2's drive, and I simply had to hear it for myself. I used the dealer's LCD2 (70 ohms, 101dB) because of its efficiency, and its planar design. Also, I know it extremely well, having owned it for years.

The very first thing I noticed is how much more closed in the TT2 sounded compared to the DAVE. I can't quite tell whether it was because of the extra taps, or its superior analogue op stage, but the DAVE sounds cavernous. It is a night and day type of difference to me. In contrast, the TT2 sounded warmer, more lush with all my test tracks, and had a very pleasing smooth tonality. Even though the TT2 sounded more closed in, it also sounded more full within its more confined space, which made music sound very pleasing and easy to listen to. More forgiving, and possibly more fatigue free for some people. The DAVE sounded considerably brighter, a lot more transparent, and had a more organic tonality. It's important to note that by bright, I dont mean it in the artificially boosted treble sense of the word, but rather use it relative to the TT2's darker sound signature.

The DAVE extracts more details from music, thus sounds brighter, and presents it all in a more natural way than the TT2. It seems to me that part of what gives the TT2 its warmth is partly due to the fact that music has this fantastic bass that is fuller and that decays more slowly than the DAVE which made the bass sound tighter, cleaner, and to my surprise, more punchy. And that's the second thing I noticed right away; I found the DAVE to be quite a lot faster, and more dynamic than the TT2. Just incredible speed. I was very pleasantly surprised by this, because I had read reports that the TT2's greater dynamic drive offered more transient impact in dynamic passages where there is peak demand for current. Not for me. The DAVE has more punch whereas the TT2 has more heft in the lower end. Almost like a dynamic vs planar driver type of comparison. So yes, even with an efficient headphone like the LCD2, music had extra weight (not authority), but not due to the reasons I thought it would be (greater headroom, greater current delivery, greater transient response thanks to supercaps), but rather bc I felt the DAVE's low end to be tighter, and leaner.

Another pleasant surprise, is that while I thought that the Dave would present a more majestic scale of large orchestral works, the TT2 might perhaps be better suited with other non classical/non jazz genres, having greater transient delivery of percussive instruments, etc... well actually, the DAVE not also sounded more holographic, more 3D on genres I mostly listen to, like rock, punk, post punk, techno, dark wave, etc, but it was also more explosive, more dynamic. On the other hand, on nearly every track, because of the fuller, more sustained, heftier low end on the TT2, I found myself wishing for these very qualities combined with the sheer speed, tonality, and transparency of the DAVE. The DAVE consistently showed more pleasing timbre variation and tonality, especially with violins, but when the darker fantastic bass growl of a cello or an octabass plays at the same time as violins, I can easily see why some would say the TT2 has greater weight and authority. Personally, I found the DAVE on a whole to have a greater mastery over the reproduction of music and thus a greater control and authority of the material. Music just makes more sense, and sounds more 'live'... But that TT2.... wow... what a performer... what a monster...

Obviously I left out a third system option, and that is DAVE + TOTL Amp + TOTL headphones. But because my lifestyle requires me to split my time between three countries every quarter or so, my primary interest in the DAVE and TT2 lay in knowing which of the two DACs would offer the ultimate transportable setup. That means no heavy, bulky, transparency robbing amp in the chain. It had to be either DAVE + efficient headphones (eg. LCD4z, Empyrean) or TT2 + inefficient TOTL (eg. 1266 Phi, Susvara, Ether 2, etc)

Clearly the setup of my audition was made from a standpoint that would best serve my personal needs (efficient headphones, transportable), and I would urge people to audition the DAVE and TT2 side by side if possible. Depending on your system configuration, it's very possible a TT2 + 1266 Phi/Ether 2/Susvara or future hard to drive headphones (Susvara 2?) handily beats a DAVE + LCD4z/Empyrean/Verite according to your taste. The TT2 is much much more versatile, and future proof this way. Also, my impressions were made without the MScaler. I very much look forward to more user reviews comparing the two DACs both MScaled w various headphones.

In the end, I went for the DAVE, and have placed my order... The die is cast but frankly speaking, it's all a win win situation with these two DACs... But still, a big part of me wishes Rob Watts would update the DAVE w his digital amps. Call it DAVE SE or smth, at least until he gets the tools from Xilinx to incorporate however many more taps or 'crumbs left in the barrel' from the DAVINA project into DAVE 2.

Finally, I might note that the TT2 is a lot better than the H2! I've previously heard the DAVE and H2 side by side in Seoul, and I can't quite understand it when people say the H2 isn't that far off... I love the H2, and used to own it, but the DAVE is miles ahead of the H2. Also, I wouldn't quite anoint the TT2 as a 'little brother' to the DAVE. As TT2 users have reported, it's an absolute beast, and it devours minions of H2 for breakfast. It's got its own unique character, it's more than just a H2 on steroids. Which DAC you prefer will really depend on your musical preferences and system synergy.

Will report back when I receive the DAVE Mscaled with the Empyrean.

Had the chance for an audition of DAVE vs TT2 today, both "MScaled", with Focal Utopia and the Meze Empyrean.

TT2 is really good, and with the Focal Utopia it was not clear to me which setup I liked more. HMS + DAVE is technically better, with better resolution and imaging, but tonally brighter. HMS + TT2 had a better base and also good synergy with the Utopia. This setup is high end too, without any doubt. I would not miss DAVE much with this setup, yes, it is so good. With the Empyrean it was different. HMS + DAVE simply outclasses HMS + TT2 with this headphone. Empyrean on DAVE clearly offers better resolution and imaging and also better dynamics. This is clearly and end-game setup as well, however tonally considerably different to the Utopia setup.

If interested, find more impressions on Meze Empyrean here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...-array-headphone.871859/page-98#post-14633089

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #12,653 of 25,883
Can anyone help me? I managed to get the funds for either the TT2 or a Dave for about £5k. The dream is to save up for the Abyss Phi CC next but would I be better served with the TT2 or the Dave. Don’t think I’ll get the opportunity again so what I get I’m stuck with in a way. Thanks for any help for a newbie .

5K for DAVE seems like a bargain.

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #12,656 of 25,883
Great bargain for the Dave! The only downside is that it may not quite bring out the most in the Abyss without additional amplification. If it were me I would still go for the Dave.

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #12,657 of 25,883
Get the DAVE and give up on the Abyss and get an Empyrean. It is an astonishingly good headphone direct from DAVE! It is very easy to drive and there is no need for additional amplification. Fantastic synergy with BluDAVE. My Utopia may be kicked to the curb very soon.

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #12,658 of 25,883
Get the DAVE and give up on the Abyss and get an Empyrean. It is an astonishingly good headphone direct from DAVE! It is very easy to drive and there is no need for additional amplification. Fantastic synergy with BluDAVE. My Utopia may be kicked to the curb very soon.

What do you like about the Meze over Utopia?

Dec 2, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #12,659 of 25,883
I found the meze pads far too thick and claustrophobic when trying them for comfort. No idea what they actually sound like.

Dec 2, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #12,660 of 25,883
I found the meze pads far too thick and claustrophobic when trying them for comfort. No idea what they actually sound like.
I have compared the Empyrean and the Abyss AB1266 using a wide variety of music that I usually use for comparisons. Amongst others this includes: Master and Commander, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Lou Reed Walk on the Wild Side, various Joni Mitchell, Guess Who Follow your Daughter Home, Gotan Project Chunga's Revenge and La del Russo, Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Klaatu Little Neutrino, Interstellar, Inception, B52s, various Zappa. I used iMac / Roon> optical>Chord Hugo M-Scaler>Chord DAVE > XI Audio Formula S with Powerman. The Empyreans are very efficient in comparison to the Abyss and are easily driven direct from the Dave (unlike the Abyss). But to minimise variables I went from the Formula S for both for this comparison.

They are beautifully packaged, best I have seen for headphones. Funny thing, opening the case and taking them out I couldn't help thinking of a hitman assembling a gun. Build quality is amazing, I almost didn't want to handle them because they looked like a work of art. Nevertheless they are solid and can be handled without fear. Really well assembled and a lot of attention to detail. The cable however is poor: stiff, fiddly, a bit microphonic.

Wearing them they look a little odd (alien torture device), comparable to the Abyss (medieval torture device) in that respect. They are light and comfortable. Overall initial comfort is a bit better than the Abyss (which are heavier, but have no clamping force), and a bit less than the HD800 (which are lighter and have less clamping force). I have not worn them long enough to judge comfort for extended listening, it will come down to the clamping force (more) vs weight (less). Note this is comparative, in absolute terms these are amongst the most comfortable headphones I have worn.

I have listened to them all day. My initial impression was a dark, rich sound, with solid bass. This remained throughout the day and across all music. Overall quite pleasant and non-fatiguing. Really an excellent set of headphones. But overall I preferred the Abyss. Here are some of the main points of comparison:
  • Tonal balance is noticeably darker for the Empyreans. The Abyss actually sounded a bit thin at times compared to them
  • The amount of bass is excellent, with same kind of slam as the Abyss. Great slam without being excessive
  • The bass is however thicker and not as well defined as the Abyss
  • Transients are not quite as crisp throughout the frequency range, which I can readily hear on percussion
  • Detail is better for the Abyss
  • The Empyreans are more closed in, with less depth
  • Instruments are a bit less localised
  • The above add up to less presence, noticeable on e.g. vocals, saxophone
I also quickly compared to the HD800, in this case the Empyrean was my preference.

It has been a while since I heard them, but perhaps they remind me of the LCD4. I will have to compare back in at my dealer's.

I have posted my impressions of the Empyrean compared to the Abyss from the Dave (through an amp) in the Empyrean thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Ards
Back