CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #12,316 of 25,973
Dear all, today my Dave has started to emit strange noises, either alone or connected to the Blue. I changed the cables, but the noise remained. It's like a rain of ticking, like the noise of hail falling on a glass. I'm very worried, I'm in Italy, far from assistance. Do you have any idea about the causes? Thanks in advance.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #12,317 of 25,973
Dear all, today my Dave has started to emit strange noises, either alone or connected to the Blue. I changed the cables, but the noise remained. It's like a rain of ticking, like the noise of hail falling on a glass. I'm very worried, I'm in Italy, far from assistance. Do you have any idea about the causes? Thanks in advance.

in the first instance please contact your Chord dealer for advice, alternatively contact Chord at info@chordelectronics.co.uk, hth.

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #12,318 of 25,973

Is this noise coming through the speakers or is it a physical noise from the Dave box?

Anyway, maybe try a direct email to Chord support for the best and quickest advice (I dont have their email to hand but there is a message service on their website)? Edit, OK-Guy has given you the email.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #12,319 of 25,973
I'm interested in some opinions...

Those that have tried using Dave direct to power amp do you prefer the sound with or without a preamp in the chain?

Is there a consensus that Dave or other Chord dacs sound better direct to solid state amps versus tube amps?

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #12,320 of 25,973

Those that have tried using Dave direct to power amp do you prefer the sound with or without a preamp in the chain?

Is there a consensus that Dave or other Chord dacs sound better direct to solid state amps versus tube amps?

I tend to prefer mine through a preamp, though since I also play vinyl, I don’t really have a choice..

People’s views differ, and much depends on the preamp and power amp in question. I doubt that anyone’s tried enough different components to form a reliable view as to solid state v tube amps in this respect. The most than can say is in respect of particular models rather than types of amp.

Sep 17, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #12,321 of 25,973

By quite a margin I prefer my Dave direct into my Pass Labs power amps. I have heard good quality pre amps and I can see how some might like their sound signature but for me they degrade the sound quality and transparency.

However, going into a tube power amp I have always preferred a preamp by an equal margin. Again for reasons of sound quality and not tonal colouration. My favourite pre amp into tube power amps is a Music First transformer volume control passive preamp and of those I prefer the silver wound version.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #12,322 of 25,973
Is this noise coming through the speakers or is it a physical noise from the Dave box?

Anyway, maybe try a direct email to Chord support for the best and quickest advice (I dont have their email to hand but there is a message service on their website)? Edit, OK-Guy has given you the email.
The noise came out directly from the Dave, not through the headphone or speakers. It is indipendent from the inputs, and whether there is an active signal or not. The noise does not affect listening (for now, at least).

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #12,323 of 25,973
I wonder if the xfeed algorithm is identical for H2 vs Dave as the impressions of dave xfeed3 describe exactly what i experience with H2 xfeed on max blue or 3rd setting up.

Sep 17, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #12,324 of 25,973
The noise came out directly from the Dave, not through the headphone or speakers. It is indipendent from the inputs, and whether there is an active signal or not. The noise does not affect listening (for now, at least).

Have you try switch off the Dave, unplug everything, and switch it on again after few mins without any connections to other equipment?

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #12,326 of 25,973
Yes I tried, unfortunately it did not work. Thanks anyway.

Email Chord and/or your dealer then. You might consider attaching a short video to your email with the noise by way of making it clear how the noise sounds. Good luck and hope you get sorted soon.

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #12,327 of 25,973

I can't comment on valve v solid state but I prefer my Dave direct to the power amp. Also, pursuit perfect system have done a number of YouTube review videos and his final conclusion was the dave was better when used direct into power amp. On the other side of the argument my local dealer is adamant the dave sounds far meatier and superior when used with a quality pre amp. Like all of this stuff it's personal preference. One final thought though, if you look at the etude amp designed to get the best from the dave, chords words not mine, they obviously feel optimum set up is straight to power amp.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #12,328 of 25,973
I wonder if the xfeed algorithm is identical for H2 vs Dave as the impressions of dave xfeed3 describe exactly what i experience with H2 xfeed on max blue or 3rd setting up.

Yes the crossfeed is the same across all devices. Had this confirmed very recently by Mr. Watts.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #12,329 of 25,973
Yes the crossfeed is the same across all devices. Had this confirmed very recently by Mr. Watts.

Still, crossfeed implementation is much more impressive with DAVE, imo. I did not listen with crossfeed on H2, but listen with crossfeed on DAVE nearly 100%.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #12,330 of 25,973
You mean thanks to Dave’s 17th order noise shaper, 20e pulse array, much more sophisticated and complex analog op, yea no crap. But I think the code remains identical. Also agree that I find the crossfeed function indispensable, even on the H2. Will audition the Dave vs the TT2 in London next mth and report back on the crossfeed function as well. One of them is coming back home w the HMS. Late to the party I know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back