1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819
821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830
Next

Last
  1. Thenewguy007
    I think he has the dual power supply version, which is $120,000.

Funny how costs run up so much, when the actual analog board doesn't seem any larger or more complex than the Dave.
    The added power supplies seem of high quality, possibly worth a few thousand, but I don't see anything close to $100k worth of stuff.

2. GryphonGuy
    Price is about market tolerance and perceived value. Cost of production plays no part except that if the costs are not covered by the price then the company will probably disappear unless it is a money laundering operation.

GG

Blitzula likes this.
  3. Thenewguy007
    Yeah, but you can rationale the cost increase of the mid-tier stuff that is under $1,000 to the stuff hovering around $5k. Then the next leap, stuff over $10k & then the 20k stuff, but to leap frog that to $100K is stretching it.

Any company can upgrade their DACs with dual power supply units, add isolated enclosures for all inputs & still not have the gull to charge $120,000 USD.

4. tunes
  5. Crgreen
    If your audio playback software can play the files, I’d have thought that you can do so through your connection to the Dave.

In my view, the differences between MP3 and FLAC on Tidal is pretty obvious. Whether it’s worth the extra costs is a matter for you. Bear in mind however, that hi-res files on Tidal are, I think, MQA files, so that the second layer of unfolding must be done in software and cannot be achieved with the Dave. To my ear, through the Dave, the Red Book versions of such files sound better on Tidal than the hi-res ones, but the position might be different with an MQA-enabled DAC.

6. jacc
    +1

I also find TIDAL MQA thru BLUDAVE has less detail and far too smooth compared with redbook

7. Crgreen
    In fact, the Auralic software settings that provide for software decoding where a DAC is not MQA-enabled specifically warns this might be the case. It produces a rather feathery sound with less body than red book. I suspect that a much better result would be achieved with an MQA DAC, though in other respects it might be inferior to the Dave.

jacc likes this.
  8. burbster
    Hi, just picked up my new Dave, it arrived quite a few weeks earlier than the quoted 6 weeks!! Literally just finished plugging it in, it sounds pretty good out of the box but just wondering what people felt was an appropriate burn in time? Also with regards to the phase setting, is it purely trial an error of what sounds best or is there a way to tell what it should be set at for a particular system? Thanks

OK-Guy likes this.
  9. JaZZ Contributor
    Mine took about 12 hours to break in – so I thought. However, according to Rob it was all just in my head.

The phase switch does exactly nothing to my ears, but for those who are sensitive to absolute phase it will indeed be a matter of trial and error in view of the absolute phase on specific recordings.

burbster likes this.
  10. Triode User
    Burn in for Dave - nil. Burn in for my ears - a few days to get used to it.
    I have always used positive phase setting but have a play.

Have fun.

burbster likes this.
  11. jlbrach
    i did not notice any difference in terms of burn in....sounded great right out of the box to me

12. OK-Guy
    ok, so International Chord customers who live around the globe 'do not' miss out on the Hugo-2 'cable offer' that's open to Chord Customers in UK...

Canadian 'Chord Dealer' HiFi-Pro is offering a special deal to all 'International Customers', they have a special deal on the 'Nordost Silver-Shadow' Bnc/Rca-Digital Coaxial Cable (1m long).

normal cost of the Nordost Silver-Shadow cable is $599 (£460), save a whopping $300 (£230) and pick one up for a $199 (£153), this is a 'limited time' offer open to everyone globally.

Link to offer: https://www.hifipro.ca/product/nordost-silver-shadow-1m-bnc-rca-digital-coaxial-cable-international

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    auricgoldfinger likes this.
  13. rgs9200m
    Down the line eventually there *has* to be a DAVE with built in Mscaling.

I can't see Chord continuing for a very long time with their top DAC option being a rather awkward 2-box setup (DAVE+Mscaler) where there is not even a stand to accommodate 2 different form/shape components.

It would not make sense from a marketing perspective to have something a bit ungainly that takes up more desktop real estate.

It kind on negates the prime directive of the DAVE being a one-box solution for the best of the best, at least for headphones or self-powered (or very efficient) speakers.

And since it didn't take long for Chord to introduce an independent M-scaler as an alternative to the Blu2, and the fact that Chord takes design super-seriously as a hallmark of their approach, I'm sure Chord sees this.
    (I think you can read the tea leaves here from the quick M-scaler intro in time for Christmas.)
    (And good for them! They are a breakthrough company and deserve it. I hope they sell lots of things and are super-successful. High-end audio needs all the help it can get.)

Just my crystal ball thinking here...

(PS, I think Chord should offer a stand for a DAVE + Mscaler. )

(Please see my quick follow-up 3 posts down on the next page.)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    JaZZ likes this.
  14. JaZZ Contributor
    I'm sure Rob and John are thinking about it, but we won't see a DAVE₂ with 1 million taps before the end of 2020 or the like.

15. Triode User
    I sort of think you are missing the point here. The new Hugo MScaler is designed to match the TT2 and TToby. Sure, it can be used with Dave just as it can be used with H2 and Qutest but with each of those do not expect it to stack properly or match the casings because essentially HMS is from TT family.

We already have an MScaler which matches the Dave ie Blu2 which has the added advantage of a reference grade CD player. I can’t see the point of Chord rushing to do a stand alone MScaler to match the Dave case. Where would it fit in the pricing and who would buy if it was more than HMS? I suspect the next big change in the Choral range will be along the lines of a Dave2 / MScaler2 but maybe not for quite a while.

First

Back
810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819
821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830
Next

Last