CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 12, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #11,987 of 25,973
Can anyone recommend a sub 100 pound mains strip to use with the mscaler? many thanks

Aug 12, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #11,988 of 25,973
wrong post.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #11,992 of 25,973
No I mean the hugo TT 2 stacked with the m scaler and Toby amp looks awful
Sorry, I just had to be that guy who posts that image here. :)

uUBkl2wFw3htLhkvg-ztDtfa2IZiUJR8-EYRaOl94-gu1iJKjwkqghrIIC6hZ1pCrC5wUuZT2qyhBzRgYEMNgTRRVKr9NuoWSp28zx08PUFSI6YVpoiTA5-saRm8cC7UT4MHs5snnk0aMPPGbINj=w384-h384-nc

We can close the thread how.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 5:28 AM Post #11,993 of 25,973
People often make the comment that a black background is due to lower noise floor and actually that's not the case. Dave has -128 dB DR; but if this was say 20 dB worse, then listening on loudspeakers, nobody would in practice hear the difference.

The improvement in depth one hears with Dave is entirely down to how accurate small signals amplitudes are preserved; and Dave, with its -350 dB digital domain performance, plus the immense care I go to ensure that small signals are accurately reproduced has unique abilities in this area.

On the timbre variation front, this ability is actually quite complex; but in short its down to Dave's complete lack of noise floor modulation, plus the unique way it accurately reconstructs the timing of transients. Timbre perception comes from transients, and when transient timing is distorted, one can't perceive timbre correctly.

My experience with USB sounding hard or edgy is limited to when the source is not sending bit perfect data. Something no DAC can fix.

Rob
I feed the DAVE with FLAC files on a Questyle DAP using its optical output. How do I know if the data stream is bit perfect??

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #11,994 of 25,973
No worries, thanks anyway. I'read some reviews about F7 vs X25 where the X25 won by a hair (no surprise at all) so I expect the 30.8 to be superior. Without hearing them I tend towards the SIT-2 as a better choice with BluDAVE.

Actually it seems to me that the test on 6 Moons does not say that the X25 is sonically inferior to 30.8. Unfortunately, it has only one input.

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #11,995 of 25,973
Actually it seems to me that the test on 6 Moons does not say that the X25 is sonically inferior to 30.8. Unfortunately, it has only one input.
Yes you are right. This is why I wrote that I "expect" that. I managed to organize a meeting by the local Pass Labs dealer and tomorrow I'm gonna audit my BluDAVE with the FW F7, SIT-2, XA25 and maybe even the 30.8. I'm excited :)

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #11,996 of 25,973
Can anyone recommend a sub 100 pound mains strip to use with the mscaler? many thanks

£150 (I think) mains block (if you mean that by mains strip) that is highly regarded by Hi-fi world and Hi-fi Choice magazines is https://titanaudio.co.uk/pages/titan-audio-styx-mains-block . Otherwise the Tacima cs947 for £40 or less. I have the Tacima for my TV which strangely improved my hi-fi sound (quite big improvement) even since that is connected to an Isotek EVO3 Sirius block... The Tacima must be blocking some crap noise from my telly. Those 2 previous ones are the ones I have seen recommended around that price point.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #11,997 of 25,973
Thanks Paul,

Can RF filtering on these mains strips (and custom mains cables which may or may not conform to BS) actually do more harm than good in the same way that some usb tweaks actually add RF noise to the chain. Would i be better off just buying a high quality generic mains strip for use here in the UK. I will be using H2/Mscaler and computer/router all pugged into one strip. Thanks mk. The titan does not seem to offer surge protection?? I am open minded and not passing any judgment one way or the other.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #11,998 of 25,973
Thanks Paul,

Can RF filtering on these mains strips (and custom mains cables which may or may not conform to BS) actually do more harm than good in the same way that some usb tweaks actually add RF noise to the chain. Would i be better off just buying a high quality generic mains strip for use here in the UK. I will be using H2/Mscaler and computer/router all pugged into one strip. Thanks mk. The titan does not seem to offer surge protection?? I am open minded and not passing any judgment one way or the other.

Don’t know. MRCU sell proper stuff so there are some more alternatives here : https://mcru.co.uk/product-category...ention-products/?orderby=price&v=79cba1185463

Aug 13, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #11,999 of 25,973
Otherwise the Tacima cs947 for £40 or less. I have the Tacima for my TV which strangely improved my hi-fi sound (quite big improvement) even since that is connected to an Isotek EVO3 Sirius block... The Tacima must be blocking some crap noise from my telly. Those 2 previous ones are the ones I have seen recommended around that price point.

strangely I heard improvements didn't want to say anything in case people shouted 'he's struck oil... snake-oil!'

Aug 13, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #12,000 of 25,973
What phase do most people listen with. Positive or negative and crossfeed on or off??

Phase stays positive. The difference between negative and positive doesn't seem to matter to my ears however when one speaker is mis-wired then that phase plays with my brain in a bad way.

When listening to headphones thru DAVE I usually have crossfeed set to 3. This is not as sonically pure as no crossfeed (0) but the depth perception and soundstage positioning is more satisfying to me so I guess musicality is better with crossfeed on but the sonics are cleaner and purer with it off.

When listening to speakers, the crossfeed is always off. If I accidentally leave it on by pulling out the headphone cable without first setting it back to zero, it doesn't take long before I am cursing Chord's error plugging in the headphone to turn the crossfeed off and pulling the headphones out to listen to the speakers without crossfeed engaged. It would be a really nice gesture from Chord to have this FIXED as they have already admitted to it being an oops.

Regards
GG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back