CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 7, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #11,914 of 25,842
Just to extend this slightly for @sasaki99
Just suppose Rob was to start contemplating a Dave 2, how could he improve it?
  • upscaling? at the moment the improvements in upscaling are being made using the external Blu2 and the Hugo MScaler. Rob has posted that his experiments with combining Dave plus a MScaler in one case, generate too much electrical noise. A good indicator that Dave 2 would not feature an integral MScaler - so hard to visualize any modification to the Dave upscaling, unless Rob removed all the current upscaling (to free up FPGA cores) and declared that the Dave2 would be fed by the external MScaler.
  • noise shapers? Dave already has the most noise shapers in the Chord range, but it is plausible that he could add further noise shapers, just to enable Dave 2 to maintain a gap with the rest of the chord range
  • output power? Dave used to be the most powerful dac, enabling it to direct drive efficient speakers, with great transparency. The TT2 has now incorporated elements of the power pulse digital amplifiers, to enable it to direct drive more inefficient/larger speakers. It is plausible that Dave 2 could also incorporate the power pulse amplifier technology
  • nothing else jumps to mind
Rob has posted that even adding a usb output to the TT2, would have added 6 months to the development/testing time.
Based on that the development/testing of Dave 2 would probably take over a year, and deliver only a small incremental improvement in functionality, mainly for owners who wanted to direct drive larger inefficient speakers.
I can understand why Rob/Chord may feel there is no great urgency to start thinking about Dave 2, when there are already enough other products/projects that need time spending on them, to produce step changes in performance/capability, eg digital amps, davina, 2go, and generate more sales.

You will be using the Dave to feed an amplifier anyway, so you would benefit little from the Dave 2 that I visualise
So no point delaying for a couple of years

Only other ones on my list would be going from 20 pulse element arrays to something like 32 (like the Davina), and the power supply (higher current capacity, quieter, etc) I am very keen to hear the TT2 to get a better sense of what kind of impact the super caps will have on dynamics and transients (vs DAVE and vs Hugo2).

Also, potentially a proprietary optical interconnect scheme that can handle mScaler data rates with perfect electrical isolation.

As a long shot, I'd love support for more than 2 channels (anticipating a future digital cross over, and for movies/tv)

All that being said, if one has mScalers and a full line of digital amps (from 2W to 500W) with the above features, do we need a DAVE2?

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #11,915 of 25,842
I hope this is the case as I will be picking up the TT2 soon!

1. RW has explained that he is carrying TT2 with him in case he is required to modify any thing. As soon as this is no longer required he will revert to taking Dave.

2. Calm down. TT2 is due ‘autumn’. In the uk we still have mid summer temperatures and with the heatwave forecast to continue until October. At this rate autumn might not come until February 2019. :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #11,916 of 25,842
1. RW has explained that he is carrying TT2 with him in case he is required to modify any code. As soon as this is no longer required he will revert to taking Dave.

2. Calm down. TT2 is due ‘autumn’. In the uk we still have mid summer temperatures and with the heatwave forecast to continue until October. At this rate autumn might not come until February 2019. :wink:
I'm glad about the weather in some ways but can't listen to my headphones as its too hot and I ain't sweating while using them

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #11,917 of 25,842
I'm glad about the weather in some ways but can't listen to my headphones as its too hot and I ain't sweating while using them

It is half past nine now and the temperature is only just bearable. I have a fellow HiFi nut coming to test systems at 12 noon tomorrow and with class A monoblocs it is going to be hot.

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #11,918 of 25,842
It is half past nine now and the temperature is only just bearable. I have a fellow HiFi nut coming to test systems at 12 noon tomorrow and with class A monoblocs it is going to be hot.
Big Krell Monoblocs ?remember them, never heard them but they were huge.I can imagine ppl flicking the power switch with a very long stick in case it blew up, American made ya never know lol joke

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #11,919 of 25,842
Today is the first day that the anti-cyclone has moved in SW france, so we have a much lower temperature plus wind, but the thunderstorms did not appear.
It has felt like a blessed relief from nearly three weeks of 'feels like 35C' at 11am, and higher during the afternoon. The ambient temperature is so hot, that the Hugo 2 is running the hottest I have felt it, but no thermal shutdowns luckily.
Full size headphones do feel sweaty, so it is speakers or iems.
At least the temperature does drop to 25C at night, but the only way to sleep is open the window, and risk the mozzies.

Those monoblocs will get hot tomorrow. :ksc75smile:
Good luck, so prepare plenty of iced tea or similar to drink.

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #11,920 of 25,842
With large chord units like dave/blu2/mscaler etc is there anything that needs to be done to ensure the units are safely grounded for someone living in the UK like myself. Or are they 100% safe to use out of the box? thanks MK.

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #11,921 of 25,842
1. RW has explained that he is carrying TT2 with him in case he is required to modify any thing. As soon as this is no longer required he will revert to taking Dave.

I hope so not!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #11,922 of 25,842

Yes your right, obviously I travel extensively with Rob and he brings units to write code and to prove it and the units in proper use situations until we are fully happy before releasing them it’s a lot of extra weight for him to carry but the extra time he has when traveling with the units is always beneficial though sometimes at airport security it raises a few eyebrows.

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #11,924 of 25,842
There are no other options from other manufacturers with similar sound quality to Dave and Blu 2 or the m-scaler at any price, let alone 12.5k euro.

As a happy DAVE owner with a Hugo M Scaler on order, your words are like music to my ears :)

That said, since I don't have first-hand experience with other top DACs in the 12.5kEur range, new or 2nd hand (dCS, MSB, Aqua Formula, NAGRA, Merging, Aries Cerat, Lampizator, TotalDAC just to name a few), I feel it would be advisable - and a lot of fun! - to evaluate alternatives if one is in the position to commit on spending such a whopping kind of cash on a component.

Has anybody had the chance to compare the DAVE, or better Blu2DAVE, with some of the big-money DACs?

P.S.: in case it is inappropriate to make this kind of question in the official DAVE thread, moderators or you guys long time forumers please let me know and I'll delete this post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back