CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 2, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #11,776 of 25,987
Are you using Windows as OS? If so, download the device driver for DAVE. Power on all downstream components before booting.
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/dave/

I'm using a Windows 7 PC. I downloaded and installed the ASIO driver from the Chord site. I think the driver works because I can use Roon when the sMS-200ultra feeds DAVE directly.

Are you saying that I should turn on the endpoints before DAVE?

Aug 2, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #11,777 of 25,987
I'm using a Windows 7 PC. I downloaded and installed the ASIO driver from the Chord site. I think the driver works because I can use Roon when the sMS-200ultra feeds DAVE directly.

Are you saying that I should turn on the endpoints before DAVE?
I see that this is a Windows 10 device driver on the Chord site. Not sure if it's backward compatible with Windows 7? Should be.
Sorry, I can't answer you on that renderer question, never has been in my system. Not a fan of it's software inflexibility. Nor a fan of Roon. Your problem lies with Roon/sMS-200Ultra, not DAVE, as you so rightly describe.
Hopefully someone here can help.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #11,778 of 25,987
I see that this is a Windows 10 device driver on the Chord site. Not sure if it's backward compatible with Windows 7? Should be.

I checked with Chord before installing the driver and was told that it is backward compatible. I'll give your power sequencing suggestion a try when I put the DAVE back in my system. I last reverted to the Vega setup to be sure the tX-USBultra was still functioning properly and don't want to start the process over again tonight. I already pulled out a lot of hair today. :confounded:

Thanks for the suggestion.

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #11,779 of 25,987
I received a lightly used, mint condition DAVE today. I am having an issue using it with Roon. My setup is modified switch => sMS-200ultra => tX-USBultra => DAC. Previously, I used HQPlayer and Roon (NAA mode) with an Auralic Vega and never had an issue. With DAVE, Roon (Roon Ready mode) only sees the sMS-200 endpoint on the network only when I remove the tX-USBultra from the system. With the tX-USBultra in place, Roon does not see an audio device and will not play.
Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas?
Sorry. I just wanted to clarify... When you have the sMS-200 connected to the DAVE, does it play? Does Roon recognize that the sMS-200 is connected to Chord DAVE?
One possibility is that sMS-200 is still thinking you're connected to the Vega which is probably why DAVE sort of works with the sMS-200 but not when the tx-USBultra is in place.

The other possibility is, did you turn off the power to the USB port on the tX-USBultra? DAVE needs the USB power to be turned on to work.

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #11,780 of 25,987
Sorry. I just wanted to clarify... When you have the sMS-200 connected to the DAVE, does it play? Does Roon recognize that the sMS-200 is connected to Chord DAVE?
One possibility is that sMS-200 is still thinking you're connected to the Vega which is probably why DAVE sort of works with the sMS-200 but not when the tx-USBultra is in place.

The other possibility is, did you turn off the power to the USB port on the tX-USBultra? DAVE needs the USB power to be turned on to work.

Yes, Roon plays when the sMS-200 is connected directly to DAVE. I'll double check the USB port...that's a good idea...but I'm pretty sure it's on because the Vega needs the 5v bus power. I'll let you know. Thanks!

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #11,781 of 25,987
Yes, Roon plays when the sMS-200 is connected directly to DAVE. I'll double check the USB port...that's a good idea...but I'm pretty sure it's on because the Vega needs the 5v bus power. I'll let you know. Thanks!
I also just realized another possibility... what are you using to power the tx-USB ultra? If the Vega asynchronous USB draws less power than the DAVE’s, it’s possible that’s why DAVE is not connected to the tx-USB ultra when Vega can. I recall running into this problem when I first got DAVE.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #11,782 of 25,987
I also just realized another possibility... what are you using to power the tx-USB ultra? If the Vega asynchronous USB draws less power than the DAVE’s, it’s possible that’s why DAVE is not connected to the tx-USB ultra when Vega can. I recall running into this problem when I first got DAVE.

I'm using an LPS-1.2 set to 12vdc. Are you suggesting that I need to try a bigger power supply on the tX-USB?

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #11,783 of 25,987
I'm using an LPS-1.2 set to 12vdc. Are you suggesting that I need to try a bigger power supply on the tX-USB?
Yes. Because I thought tx-USB needs 2A and LPS-1.2 can only do a maximum of 1.1A. When you look at the lights on the LPS-1.2 when the tx-USB is connected to DAVE, are you seeing green all the time or does it flash or cycle? I bought the LPS-1 and then realized it didn't have enough current to power the tx-USBexp card connected to DAVE. Even now when I power my ultraRendu with my LPS1, the LPS1 runs super hot, probably because DAVE/Blu2 USB draws more current? Not sure.

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #11,785 of 25,987
Aug 3, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #11,786 of 25,987
Can we all agree on this list from best to worst sounding?

Blu + Ferrites + CD
Blu + Ferrites + Stream = Mscaler + Stream
Blu - Ferrites + CD
Blu - Ferrites + Stream

You don't know that, because we haven't heard the final Hugo M-Scaler yet. It just may be that it beats the BLU on sound, even when using the transport, which would be system dependent.

The Hugo M-Scaler can be powered separately with a clean supply like a Paul Hynes SR7. Which just may, with a clean clocked stream, put the Hugo M-Scaler (improved design) over the top of the BLU capabilities.
If I was a betting man, I would bet this will be the case.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #11,788 of 25,987
Blu + CD or Mscaler + Stream or CD + Mscaler
Blu - Ferrites + Stream
Hugo M-Scaler won't have a cd transport. Are you suggesting streaming one to it?

Just Hugo M-Scaler + LPSU (good one) + clean clocked stream will be number one.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #11,790 of 25,987
What had this to do with the Dave?
There is an mscaler thread.
The fact that DAVE plus BLU or Hugo M-Scaler will have the superior SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back