CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 2, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #11,746 of 25,832
Aug 2, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #11,748 of 25,832
@ everyone

I knew there was a catch somewhere! So the ultimate experience should now be Mscaler + Dave.

Well, actually, Rob Watts says that all the reports he has seen say that the CD player in the Blu Mk2 is superior to any dedicated server in terms of sound quality.

So the ultimate experience is still Blu Mk2 MScaler + Dave.

The benefit that the Blu 2 has is being able to play CD's; and all the reports I have seen is that CD replay using the Blu 2 is better than a dedicated server; and the reason for this is the much lower power dissipation and overall lower RF noise as the internal clock speeds of a CD mech is very low, and it's low power too. Many use the CD as a way of calibrating their source.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #11,749 of 25,832
Well, actually, Rob Watts says that all the reports he has seen say that the CD player in the Blu Mk2 is superior to any dedicated server in terms of sound quality.

Interesting. To my ear CD on the Blu2 remains the benchmark, and although I’m no expert I’ve a suspicion that low noise (RF and power supply) plays a big part. It seems that it is possible to address those issues in a server, but presently at very considerable expense, unless you have the know-how, time and patience to build one yourself. I don’t.

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #11,750 of 25,832

Yes, agree on that, except that I don't use CDs, so for me it's Mscaler+ Dave.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #11,751 of 25,832
Interesting. To my ear CD on the Blu2 remains the benchmark, and although I’m no expert I’ve a suspicion that low noise (RF and power supply) plays a big part. It seems that it is possible to address those issues in a server, but presently at very considerable expense, unless you have the know-how, time and patience to build one yourself. I don’t.

How could a server connected with a decent optical output possibly transmit RF noise to a Blu2 or an M Scaler?

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #11,752 of 25,832
How could a server connected with a decent optical output possibly transmit RF noise to a Blu2 or an M Scaler?

I can’t speak on behalf of Rob, but such issues can affect the reading and processing of the data before it’s transmitted via USB, electrical or optical. If you’re of the view that upstream components and their configuration can have a bearing on sound quality, I think there are improvements that can be made.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #11,753 of 25,832
I can’t speak on behalf of Rob, but such issues can affect the reading and processing of the data before it’s transmitted via USB, electrical or optical. If you’re of the view that upstream components and their configuration can have a bearing on sound quality, I think there are improvements that can be made.

I specifically mentioned optical. How can you transmit RF over optical? The only other issue over optical could be jitter. Rob says his jitter rejection is way beyond adequate.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #11,754 of 25,832
I specifically mentioned optical. How can you transmit RF over optical? The only other issue over optical could be jitter. Rob says his jitter rejection is way beyond adequate.

And I cannot speak on behalf of Crgreen but what he said was, "I can’t speak on behalf of Rob, but such issues can affect the reading and processing of the data before it’s transmitted via USB, electrical or optical."

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #11,756 of 25,832
And I cannot speak on behalf of Crgreen but what he said was, "I can’t speak on behalf of Rob, but such issues can affect the reading and processing of the data before it’s transmitted via USB, electrical or optical."

If “such issues can affect the reading and processing of the data before it’s transmitted via USB” then how could you copy a file via USB?

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #11,757 of 25,832
If “such issues can affect the reading and processing of the data before it’s transmitted via USB” then how could you copy a file via USB?

Don't shoot me. I was just the messenger.

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #11,758 of 25,832

Okay, let me put it another way. There is a long-standing debate as to whether what goes on upstream of a DAC can affect the sound. Some, including myself, believe that it can and that it’s not just limited to RFI issues. Others believe that bits are bits, and nothing else upstream in the digital domain can make a difference. I’m sure you must have come across such discussions. I think you might be talking about something else, but I honestly can’t be sure.

I should also point out that as I understand it, the connection between the CD transport and the m-scaler in the Blu2 is electrical, so RFI could be an issue.

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #11,759 of 25,832
This might be a dumb question but for those dave owners that have a blu mk2 in black, are the finishes different?

My blu 2 is a matte black and the dave is a shiny or glossy black???

Just received the blu 2 recently and the dave a few weeks ago.

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #11,760 of 25,832
My pair matches... and I would characterize both as matte if the choice is matte vs shiny. More accurately, they both look like black anodized aluminum, same as anodized aluminum cookware with that finish (higher quality, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back