CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 3, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #11,791 of 25,834
Can we all agree on this list from best to worst sounding?

Blu + Ferrites + CD
Blu + Ferrites + Stream = Mscaler + Stream
Blu - Ferrites + CD
Blu - Ferrites + Stream

I have found in my sytsem that the ferrites on Blu2 seem to reduce the differences between steamers. It will be interesting to see whether the new isolation on the HugoMS dual outputs does the same.
In all this, remember that all ferrites are not equal. You need the right sort and enough of them.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #11,792 of 25,834
Hugo M-Scaler won't have a cd transport. Are you suggesting streaming one to it?

Just Hugo M-Scaler + LPSU (good one) + clean clocked stream will be number one.
A external cd player, cd transport or even a external disk drive with play option.

Btw, rob said lpsu not good!

And we could battery powered external disk drive/mscaler/TT2/hugo2/qutest, if one goes to the extend!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #11,793 of 25,834
" if a conventional digital signal is transmitted via toslink, then the clocking signal is embedded within it. The clocking information is at the same time the HF interference of the computer in the form of Jitter, and Jitter is very difficult to completely remove after the fact. Therefore, the optical audio connection does not eliminate the interference from the computer."

http://www.artistic-fidelity.de/index.php/en/modulare-serie/11-usb-audio-converter-module

This is what the german audio company artistic fidelity says about toslink transmission.
Sounds plausible for me.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #11,794 of 25,834
A external cd player, cd transport or even a external disk drive with play option.

Btw, rob said lpsu not good!

He said the same for 2Qute and I found that a good LPSU made a big difference. Brilliant designs, but from my listening experience an external LPSU made a big difference. Thus I imagine so for the Hugo M-Scaler. Will find out soon enough.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #11,795 of 25,834
I have found in my sytsem that the ferrites on Blu2 seem to reduce the differences between steamers. It will be interesting to see whether the new isolation on the HugoMS dual outputs does the same.
In all this, remember that all ferrites are not equal. You need the right sort and enough of them.

Now you don't believe Rob when he tells you that ferrites make the Hugo M-Scaler worse? When you label his word as final on everything else.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #11,796 of 25,834
Now you don't believe Rob when he tells you that ferrites make the Hugo M-Scaler worse? When you label his word as final on everything else.

Nowhere have I said that I don't believe Rob when he says that ferrites make the Hugo M-Scaler worse. Certainly I never intended to say that.

I think to be fair Rob hardly believes it himself or at least it surprised him. In fact he said as much. So I wouldn't be surprised if he sets about finding out what is going on there at some point.

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #11,797 of 25,834
You don't know that, because we haven't heard the final Hugo M-Scaler yet. It just may be that it beats the BLU on sound, even when using the transport, which would be system dependent.

The Hugo M-Scaler can be powered separately with a clean supply like a Paul Hynes SR7. Which just may, with a clean clocked stream, put the Hugo M-Scaler (improved design) over the top of the BLU capabilities.
If I was a betting man, I would bet this will be the case.
I know that I don't know that, but I'm just going by what I've read. We can only be certain after the release, but at least we can do some estimates based on what people report on hearing and especially what Rob says.

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #11,798 of 25,834
I received a lightly used, mint condition DAVE today. I am having an issue using it with Roon. My setup is modified switch => sMS-200ultra => tX-USBultra => DAC...
I've got the same chain and it works flawlessly. Make sure you provide power for the USB input of the DAC (set the red switch on the back of the tX-USBultra)

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #11,799 of 25,834
Yeah, once both TT2 and the Mscaler get released, I'm sure there will be a detailed comparison.

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #11,800 of 25,834

Blu + Ferrites + CD
Blu - Ferrites + CD
Blu - Ferrites + Stream

No I don’t agree. And until people have actually heard these combinations then any agreement is a nonsense. If an M Scaler cannot play a ripped CD as well as a Blu2 can play the same CD (assuming a competent rip and source) then there is something profoundly wrong, imo.

(and If you believe CD has magical powers, what about CD Transport + M Scaler + DAVE? In other words, putting a separate CD transport in front of an M Scaler is better than a Blu2 because there is less chance of interaction, bad Karma, evil spirits power supply noise, encapsulated RF, cosmic rays.. sunspots..)

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #11,801 of 25,834
No I don’t agree. And until people have actually heard these combinations then any agreement is a nonsense. If an M Scaler cannot play a ripped CD as well as a Blu2 can play the same CD (assuming a competent rip and source) then there is something profoundly wrong, imo.

(and If you believe CD has magical powers, what about CD Transport + M Scaler + DAVE? In other words, putting a separate CD transport in front of an M Scaler is better than a Blu2 because there is less chance of interaction, bad Karma, evil spirits power supply noise, encapsulated RF, cosmic rays.. sunspots..)
I fully agree with you. Streaming is on thing CD is an other. Exact comparisons will be

1. (CD Transport + M Scaler + DAVE) vs BluDAVE
2. (streamer + M Scaler + DAVE) vs (streamer + BluDAVE)

In both cases with or without ferrites.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #11,802 of 25,834
No I don’t agree. And until people have actually heard these combinations then any agreement is a nonsense.
Please read what I said 3 posts above. I'm only suggesting that this COULD be how they stack up, based on what other people have said. We will only know for sure once all the products are released and a detailed comparison is performed.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #11,804 of 25,834
Please read what I said 3 posts above. I'm only suggesting that this COULD be how they stack up, based on what other people have said. We will only know for sure once all the products are released and a detailed comparison is performed.

I did read what you said. You asked “Can we all agree on this list from best to worst...”. I said no. I do not agree with the list.

Aug 3, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #11,805 of 25,834

Blu + Ferrites + CD
Blu - Ferrites + CD
Blu - Ferrites + Stream

I think the answer to your question is “definitely not”. Inevitable really, since I can’t think of any issue on which there’s common agreement, just a lot of folk asserting their rightness. Much like the world outside this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back