CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 15, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #9,301 of 25,867
I just bought a Dave... Man this thing sings...

EDIT:
Few points:
The default installation of the chord drivers suck! I had to install the drivers from the main site to get it running smoothly. Also for those running Jriver, don't forget to activate Bitstreaming... Listening to DSD64 of Earth Wind and Fire on the Sennheiser Orpheus HEV-90! Fantastic!

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #9,304 of 25,867
Nov 16, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #9,305 of 25,867
Yes it was a million taps as I knew back in the 80's that we would need that to recover the transients to a guaranteed 16 bit accuracy. And of course, a million taps (back then) was completely impossible, and completely inconceivable that it would ever be possible; fortunately I was wrong about that prediction!

Nov 16, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #9,306 of 25,867
Yes it was a million taps as I knew back in the 80's that we would need that to recover the transients to a guaranteed 16 bit accuracy. And of course, a million taps (back then) was completely impossible, and completely inconceivable that it would ever be possible; fortunately I was wrong about that prediction!
Is there an optimum length hardware not being a limitation?

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #9,307 of 25,867
I don't know - you could make a convincing argument that it's good enough for CD; but audio is strange - unless you do rigorous, controlled listening tests you really know nothing.

But Davina will tell us all - at least the scale of the problem, as I will publish tracks that are original, and then decimated and M scaled. So comparing the two files will tell me the size of the loss involved. I hope it's small...

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #9,308 of 25,867
i am considering a dave in 2018. this is a big investment for me so is there any reason why someone in my position should wait to see the results of davina or am i getting my wires crossed here? thanks to all mk.

the chord sound has really moved me emotionally closer to the music. i recently listened to dave/blu2 at sonority design in the midlands and was really astounded by what i heard through headphones and 80K American imported speakers the name brand i forget. the design of dave/blu2 deserves a commendation too in the cradle. what started out as a 1 hour visit ended up with me staying longer, listening to music and chatting to the owner for the best part of 5 hours. in addition i also learnt alot!! i will be returning to sonority design at some point on the invitation of the owner who is kindly going to guide me as i build my system.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #9,310 of 25,867
But Davina will tell us all - at least the scale of the problem, as I will publish tracks that are original, and then decimated and M scaled. So comparing the two files will tell me the size of the loss involved. I hope it's small...
Can't wait for your sample tracks, Rob! :thumbsup:

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #9,311 of 25,867
Thinking about getting monitors to pair with Hugo 2 so wife can enjoy music without head phones. Eventually I'll get a DAVE + upscaler. Right now don't want to go the whole amp routine and stay under $3-4K. Don't know if 3 way powered speakers like Focal Shape 65 vs unpowered efficient monitors like the Omega Super Alnico Monitors makes better SQ. Anyone have a system they really like? Don't need to blast volume but don't want clipping at moderate levels. Room isopen and 18 x 15 feet. Plan to sitabout 5-6 feet away from monitors.

Also need to know what cables to get from H2 to speakers.

Thanks for any help.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #9,312 of 25,867
Thinking about getting monitors to pair with Hugo 2 so wife can enjoy music without head phones. Eventually I'll get a DAVE + upscaler. Right now don't want to go the whole amp routine and stay under $3-4K. Don't know if 3 way powered speakers like Focal Shape 65 vs unpowered efficient monitors like the Omega Super Alnico Monitors makes better SQ. Anyone have a system they really like? Don't need to blast volume but don't want clipping at moderate levels. Room isopen and 18 x 15 feet. Plan to sitabout 5-6 feet away from monitors.

Thanks for any help.
The Omega monitors get a great write-up in this review by @ray-dude , especially in direct driven mode. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-hugo-2.22209/reviews#review-19435
An alternative is the KEF LS50 wireless. @Peter Hyatt has just added a pair to his Hugo 2, and he describes the sound as "something special".

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #9,313 of 25,867

Thanks for any help.

For my nearfield set up (i.e. about 1 to 2 meters), I use Focal SM-9s. Of the generally well regarded as high end nearfields, only the Focals and ATCs use an all analog signal path to my knowledge (I am guessing you don't want to have DSP in the chain given that's what you want Chord to be handling!). I love both brands for nearfield setups and took a long time to pick. I must've listened to Adele's Hello 100s of times (it was mastered on ATC SCM-50As, so I used the track as a reference of sorts).

While the Focal SM-9s (and the comparable ATC SCM-25As) are above that price range, the Focal Twin6 Be's are 3.8k/pair as I recall. I sold my Twins for the SM-9s not too long ago. I believe ATCs start in the 5-6k range for a pair. Focals generally have more extended low end, faster high end -- compared to more detailed mid-range for the ATCs -- at least that was my impression.

I can't yet speak from experience pairing with the DAVE as I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.... Reminds me, need to check status on the order as its ETA is in about 2 wks....

Hope this helps.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #9,314 of 25,867

Thanks for any help.

Benchmark AHB2 amplifier is the lowest distortion in the world like the Boulder 100k$ amp.

Nov 19, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #9,315 of 25,867
The Benchmark and the Omegas (with DAVE) are lovely, but a very small fraction of going direct from the DAVE to the Omegas. It is absolutely stunning to me how even an amp as robust as the Benchmark can kill the Chord magic. It makes me all the more excited for how transformational Rob's digital amp will be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back