CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 2, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #8,417 of 25,821
Someone mentioned recently that there was an imminent review of Dave by Stereophile. Does anyone have an approx. Time-line on that review?

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #8,419 of 25,821
Thanks I shall look forward to that maxh22

May 2, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #8,421 of 25,821
I've traded my DAVE for some other products at the moment. I could always get a new DAVE if I wanted to go back.

I suppose it's all from a philosophical perspective of not getting hung up on just one thing.

It had been a while since I had tried other DACs, so since I'm rebuilding with a speaker system I figured no time like the present to experiment with others.

It feels kind of liberating, actually. All of this is so subjective anyway. Fun!

May 2, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #8,422 of 25,821
I've traded my DAVE for some other products at the moment. I could always get a new DAVE if I wanted to go back.

I suppose it's all from a philosophical perspective of not getting hung up on just one thing.

It had been a while since I had tried other DACs, so since I'm rebuilding with a speaker system I figured no time like the present to experiment with others.

It feels kind of liberating, actually. All of this is so subjective anyway. Fun!

wow,I am shocked to hear you traded your Dave...i thought you had ordered a Blu 2?What Dac will you be replacing it with?

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #8,423 of 25,821
Man, this new forum does not like my mobile phone!

Umm... I've got a few boutique R2R DACs in. I'm just playing around, while keeping within budget. I'm not saying there is a replacement for the DAVE; I just don't have one right now.

I'm on a quest for musicality, not just transparency. Obviously those two can go hand-in-hand, but right now, in my mind, the former overshadows the latter.

Chord will always be here. In fact, I have an excellent review coming for the TToby amp. It's just changing my perspective a bit to see if it matches up with the reality that I hear.

May 2, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #8,424 of 25,821
Absolutely not!

Dave took over 2 man years, I am certainly not about to start doing that again! Got Davina and the Power Pulse Array amps to do and that will keep me busy for the next few years. Yes that's what the new power amp tech will be called - Power Pulse Array...
Power pulse array with warp drive, I'll take two.

May 2, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #8,426 of 25,821
I like that change, It could increase Evolvists appreciation for the Dave it or might show him that's it's not what he thought it was. It could go either way but it is interesting.

I remember a post from a headfier quite a few years back, he said he was tired of chasing expensive end game gear with crazy specs and forgot to enjoy the music, then in the end he left headfi. Happy with just an old iPod and some cheap sennheiser px100 headphone.

May 2, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #8,427 of 25,821
I like that change, It could increase Evolvists appreciation for the Dave it or might show him that's it's not what he thought it was. It could go either way but it is interesting.

I remember a post from a headfier quite a few years back, he said he was tired of chasing expensive end game gear with crazy specs and forgot to enjoy the music, then in the end he left headfi. Happy with just an old iPod and some cheap sennheiser px100 headphone.

Yeah, you know, and it's not just the specs, but it's also Ad-Fi, as opposed to Hi-Fi that will get ya.

That said, had I stuck with headphones, there would be no way that I would contemplate a change from the DAVE. No way! I can't imagine anything better for cans. But right, I just want to enjoy the music instead of chasing unicorns and three-breasted women.

Similar to your story, there was a guy who had a Metrum Pavane. He loved it! Then he heard a Emotiva XMC-1. Yeah, he said that the Pavane beat it, but to his ears, not close enough to keep the Pavane. So he invested in some quality tube monoblocks for his Emotiva and rolled with it. That might sound crazy, but to each their own.

So, if it's DAVE again, cool. If it's not, cool. I'm just digging on the moment right now.

May 2, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #8,428 of 25,821
Actually, I'm here waiting for the power amp for about 2 years now ... so very excited to hear that Rob will have time to focus on the power amp project this year!

I'm sure that Chord is coming up with a nice brand name for the amp.

Pulse Array Power Amp... Papa?
Pulse Array Main Amp... Parma?

Anyway, I will be very much interested to hear the next update for the power amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back