CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 18, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #7,936 of 25,860
You are right astrostar59, but I think you missed my point - this has nothing to do with sequencing of source and amp.
This solely relates to Dave and its directly connected headphones. Nothing else is involved. 

I guess what I'm suggesting is a minor mod for the next Dave version to reduce the switch-off spike at the headphone output (without impacting SQ).
Not a big deal, and not an issue at all for those who leave Dave on 24/7. It's just a suggestion.

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #7,937 of 25,860
Most definitely follow the instruction manual of turning on DAVE 1st, as I did not follow this once and thought I may have damaged my speakers as the VERY, VERY large and abrupt power spike coming through my speakers had my startled, like a gun shot.

I guess it depends on your set-up, but with mine the recommended turn on sequence is not an option, it is mandatory.

As for leaving the DAVE on 24/7, why, even though it is relatively low voltage, it isn't like it's valves that need to warm up, it's all integrated circuits and a few discrete components, even at low standby voltage and current I would not want to prematurely age the components?

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #7,938 of 25,860
  Most definitely follow the instruction manual of turning on DAVE 1st, as I did not follow this once and thought I may have damaged my speakers as the VERY, VERY large and abrupt power spike coming through my speakers had my startled, like a gun shot.

I guess it depends on your set-up, but with mine the recommended turn on sequence is not an option, it is mandatory.

As for leaving the DAVE on 24/7, why, even though it is relatively low voltage, it isn't like it's valves that need to warm up, it's all integrated circuits and a few discrete components, even at low standby voltage and current I would not want to prematurely age the components?

This is a big subject, and some manufactures actually recommend leaving on 24/7. My Plinius power amplifier for example, which sit on class A/B when not in use, so consumes less than a light bulb. And my PS Audio P10. The actual switch on and subsequent heating up of PS and caps ect can age a component. Wether that is worse than leaving on all the time? So both switching off, and leaving on has strong following.

I would never leave on tube power amps though as tubes do fail, and can cause damage.

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #7,939 of 25,860

This is a big subject, and some manufactures actually recommend leaving on 24/7. My Plinius power amplifier for example, which sit on class A/B when not in use, so consumes less than a light bulb. And my PS Audio P10. The actual switch on and subsequent heating up of PS and caps ect can age a component. Wether that is worse than leaving on all the time? So both switching off, and leaving on has strong following.

I would never leave on tube power amps though as tubes do fail, and can cause damage.

Agree about tubes. They have a much shorter life than ss circuits.

As has been said, there are pros and cons of leaving kit on when not in use. I always leave my DACs and ss amps switched on 24/7. I have done this for 30 years with no mishaps. For me I take my lead by observing that light bulbs always seem to blow at switch on rather than any other time. That's enough evidence for me as to what does the most damage, switching on and off or leaving on.

No need to start a debate though. Do as you feel you want to or what the manufacturer recommends.

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #7,940 of 25,860
Whilst on the subject of turning Dave on/off, I heard an unpleasant spike when turning off Dave whilst still wearing the headphones - not so loud as to damage headphone or ears, but gave me a jolt the first time it happened. This when Dave's volume was set to around -30db. When I retried with volume muted it didn't help. 

This only happens at power switch off. No problems at all with power on (which has a soft start) or standby on or off.
Not a big deal really, but I'd rather it didn't happen at all.
I usually lave Dave on 24/7 or sometimes go into Standby, but I do like to switch it off if I'm away for several days.

By standby do you mean on mode 4 when the display turns off? Is the whole unit on standby or is it just the display?

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #7,943 of 25,860
  Whilst on the subject of turning Dave on/off, I heard an unpleasant spike when turning off Dave whilst still wearing the headphones - not so loud as to damage headphone or ears, but gave me a jolt the first time it happened. This when Dave's volume was set to around -30db. When I retried with volume muted it didn't help. 

This only happens at power switch off. No problems at all with power on (which has a soft start) or standby on or off.
Not a big deal really, but I'd rather it didn't happen at all.
I usually lave Dave on 24/7 or sometimes go into Standby, but I do like to switch it off if I'm away for several days.

You should once try to switch the DAVE off while music is playing!
basshead.gif
Quite an experience!

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #7,944 of 25,860
I am fortunate not to have any loud noise spikes when I switch Chord DAVE on and off (or just standby mode). I do follow the rule of turning my sources and then preamp and then amp on in general in case of these spikes. However, I have to say it seems that these issues are more system-dependent, rather than Chord DAVE dependent. I remember when I had my Chord QBD76HDSD and Sanders preamp and amplifier. If I forgot and switched the QBD76HDSD off or sometimes even if I turn my Blu-ray player off (connected via coaxial back then), I can get a loud spike through my speakers that freak me out. But then I switched over to digital volume control into the QBD76HDSD and took out the preamp (even more dangerous I guess), the problem went away. I did also change a few other things around where all my audio components are plugged into the same power bar to reduce the possibility of ground loops and leakage currents. So for those who are hearing noise spikes when they turn on and off their DAVE (or just putting DAVE in standby), it is possible that tweaking how everything else is connected might help. I'm just not an expert on these things so perhaps people who understand these issues can comment further. The point is that the issue may not even be related to DAVE.

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #7,945 of 25,860
I have a Blu II on order and can't wait for delivery. Just wondering if anyone has recommendation for the cables to connect to the DAVE? Looks like I need 2 BNC SPDIF cables to connect to DX inputs, does anyone know if someone sells a dual cable or do I need 2 cables? Will any cable work or do I need a higher bandwidth cable? I have tried googling the answer but can't find a definite answer on operating at +700 khz. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #7,946 of 25,860
My understanding is that the two cables each run at max 384kHz one cable being the left channel signal and the other being the right channel signal. As long as you purchase a digital cable with a certified 75Ω BNC connection you should be good. Cable makers seem to be offering more BNC terminations as more DAC manufacturers turn to BNC for the more definite 75Ω those connections offer as opposed to the approximate values that RCA terminations offer.

​Kimber Kable, for example, offer BNC terminations on their Select range of digital interconnects. Chord cables in the UK and so forth. If you have a preferred cable maker, I'm sure an e-mail to them to ask about 75Ω BNC termination on their digital cables will set you in the right direction.

Regards
​GG

​Edit: Of course I meant two BNC cables to link Blu2 and Dave.
blink.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #7,947 of 25,860
I was rather hoping that, given the price, Chord would include two 1 metre BNC terminated cables with the Blu 2. They've tended to include suitable cables with their other digital products.

As to whether different brands of cable will make a difference and if so, what, is a debate I'm happy to see played out on this forum.

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #7,950 of 25,860
I'm curious to know if @Rob Watts discovered a new improvement in his upcoming Davina project with 16 million taps

I think Davina has always been targeted at 1 million taps.

Writing the code to achieve more taps would be time consuming, so I think RW posted that he cannot envisage finding the time to exceed 16 million taps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back