CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 16, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #7,921 of 26,005

​At CanJam Rob Watts asked me if I used my DAVE to listen to the TV. I said "No". He urged me to at least try it as he was of the opinion that it would change my listening habits for TV. Since my Astro satellite TV box has an optical out port I might try it one night when I am not listening to music. It might help me to reconnect with Astro even with all the repeat programs and self-advertising they do ever so relentlessly.

GG

I listent to TV via my Hugo TT and would strongly recommend it to anyone who owns a Chord DAC.  The beauty of Chord DACs is they do a great job with modest sources: TV programs, films, musical programs, bargain CDs, they all come out sounding better than anyone has a right to expect.  The BBC had a wonderful series of programs on Leonard Cohen last year and, of course, regular broadcasts from the Prom concerts.  Right now they have the excellent Opera North performances of Wagner's Ring available on catch-up.  All of this comes through with very listenable and enjoyable quality -- nothing to make you cringe.  The improvement in voices, frequency range, depth, is quite amazing all considered, and makes the viewing experience much more immersive - even for programs like Poldark, The Halcyon or SS-GB.

Regarding lip syc:  In my case I connect the BT Youview box directly to the DAC via optical (and likewise my Sony BDP via BNC coax) so the audio and video arrive via different routes.  The advantage is anyone can just watch TV without the hi-fi  e.g. for quick viewing, and there is one less set of connections and cables in the signal path. At first I needed some sync adjustment for speech.  Both my TV (a Philips large screen LCD) and the BT box (a Humax) have an adjustment buried in the settings which work like the Oppo one described by ecwl.   I used the one on the BT box so as not to upset the Sony BDP, which fortunately has always been fine.  With the latest BT box however I find no adjustment is necessary either.  Most like the video processing and the audio processing times are near enough coincident.  I do hope the OP finds a sync adjustment buried in one of his menus and gets to enjoy the experience.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #7,922 of 26,005
I just got my Dave!
The manual says to turn on amp/preamp first. I would like to leave Dave on all the time and turn off amp/preamp when I'm not listening. Anyone have problems happen?
I did search and could not find an answer.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #7,923 of 26,005
I just got my Dave!
The manual says to turn on amp/preamp first. I would like to leave Dave on all the time and turn off amp/preamp when I'm not listening. Anyone have problems happen?

I leave my Dave on 24/7 and only turn on the amps when I listen to music. No issues encountered at all.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #7,924 of 26,005
I just got my Dave!

Dear lord, read the manual again. It says you must turn on DAVE first before you turn on your amp/preamp.

WARNING

YOU MUST SWTICH DAVE ON FIRST BEFORE ANY PREAMPLIFIER OR POWER AMPLIFIER. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN YOUR EQUIPMENT ENTERING PROTECTION MODE OR DAMAGE.

Congrats on the new DAVE!

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #7,925 of 26,005
Dear lord read my post before being offensive. I said what the manual said...
But I wanted opinions of folks who didn't follow the manual recommendations.

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #7,927 of 26,005
Dear lord read my post before being offensive. I said what the manual said...
But I wanted opinions of folks who didn't follow the manual recommendations.

Offensive? Really? Just want to make sure you get the right order. I did read your post and you've got it backward based on what you wrote, and what I quoted.

... The manual says to turn on amp/preamp first...

I copied the text in my previous post straight from the manual, and have also read my DAVE manual. Unfortunately you did not say what the manual says

Dave first, then amp/preamp is what you want. What you want to do by leaving the DAVE on is fine.

No need to be defensive. Good luck.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #7,928 of 26,005
I just got my Dave!

In general, you want to turn the items further back in the chain on first. So source first, then dac, then preamp, then power amp, and when it's all on then you connect to your speakers or in my case headphones.

When you turn them off, do the opposite. So power amp goes off first, then preamp, then dac, and finally source.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #7,929 of 26,005
This is why I don't post much in this forum. I can't even ask a simple question without some obnoxious old relic insulting you.
I upgraded from the Yggdrasil which I left on for 2 years without regards to the order of turning on or off the amp/preamp therefore the question. Odd that all other responders understood the question and gave me a civil answer

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #7,930 of 26,005
This is why I don't post much in this forum. I can't even ask a simple question without some obnoxious old relic insulting you.
I upgraded from the Yggdrasil which I left on for 2 years without regards to the order of turning on or off the amp/preamp therefore the question. Odd that all other responders understood the question and gave me a civil answer

Where's his insult? You must be really thin-skinned. This after your catastrophically wrong advice which he thankfully corrected immediately.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 17, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #7,931 of 26,005
I was about to post my impressions on my new Dave. My previous Dac was a Schitt Yggdrasil which kept me happy for the last 2 or 3 years having replaced my Ps Audio PWD2.
I was having the upgrade itch and really didn't know what to expect in my testing as I had been satisfied with my Yggdrasil. First I tried out the Lampizator Atlantic and couldn't discern a clear victor. Then I tried the Dave and it was quite different in my system bringing out and separating instruments and vocals. Being a Beatle and Stones lover their recordings just never sounded as good as today's offerings so I didn't listen to them very often. Enter the Dave and wow all the stuff I love sounded a level or 2 better. I resisted till I listened to the new Ayre Qx5 Twenty and although its resolution was better than my Yggdrasil it couldn't erase my memory of the Daves 3D presentation and when the price dropped I snapped one up.
In my hours of A/B the impressions what I conclude is that maybe midrange is pulled back a hair allowing vocals or lead instruments to shine a bit more. A little more contrast or dynamic range in performances. But I can't sense anything lacking in that midrange.....maybe just not as intrusive.
The Dave and the Yggdrasil are the two most lusted after Dacs around And for good reasons on this forum.
I should have had Relic proofread this post first....:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #7,934 of 26,005
Whilst on the subject of turning Dave on/off, I heard an unpleasant spike when turning off Dave whilst still wearing the headphones - not so loud as to damage headphone or ears, but gave me a jolt the first time it happened. This when Dave's volume was set to around -30db. When I retried with volume muted it didn't help. 

This only happens at power switch off. No problems at all with power on (which has a soft start) or standby on or off.
Not a big deal really, but I'd rather it didn't happen at all.
I usually lave Dave on 24/7 or sometimes go into Standby, but I do like to switch it off if I'm away for several days.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #7,935 of 26,005
  Whilst on the subject of turning Dave on/off, I heard an unpleasant spike when turning off Dave whilst still wearing the headphones - not so loud as to damage headphone or ears, but gave me a jolt the first time it happened. This when Dave's volume was set to around -30db. When I retried with volume muted it didn't help. 

This only happens at power switch off. No problems at all with power on (which has a soft start) or standby on or off.
Not a big deal really, but I'd rather it didn't happen at all.
I usually lave Dave on 24/7 or sometimes go into Standby, but I do like to switch it off if I'm away for several days.

My DAC manual says switch on the source first, then amplifier last, and in reverse at switch off.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back