CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 8, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #6,616 of 25,834
Hi Rob

Ok Davina/Blu 2 is more for real time processing, but can we obtain this level of processing without having such an expensive FPGA and cost (including the metal work)

I don't mind (and neither will many Dave owners) some latency, and it doesn't even have to be real time anyway - as you said to play back on Dave at a later date.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #6,617 of 25,834
I hope one day Chord will combine Poly and M scalar technology to one product like dcs Vivialdi upsampler. If you look at price of dcs Vivialdi, Chord products are again a bargain, But dcs Vivialdi transport can play SACD. However, it is not important to me as I don't have any SACD.

I will wait for Davina to come out and decide to buy whether blu2 or Davina.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #6,618 of 25,834
Yes, Davina seems the way to go, acting as a hub for all sources, digital and analog. I can can connect my CD transport, a Meridian 500, which might not be in the same category as the new Chord transport, but I wonder how much that will matter.

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #6,619 of 25,834
So I guess those who stream their music would appreciate a single box from Chord with the new upsampler (from Blu II) plus a grown up Poly? This would then connect to their Dave?

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #6,620 of 25,834
Sorry for the stupid question, but I want to be sure that I understand well: when using a music server, I will get better sound with music server > blu2>DAVE than just music server>DAVE ? Correct ?

How the sound will be changed ? Even more details ( IMO DAVE already provides enough details) or better musicality and more "be there" ? What to expect from this 1 million taps ?

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #6,621 of 25,834
At the moment, the only people outside Chord who can comment on the improvement brought about by upscaling and a million taps are those attending the show. Hopefully, Roy will have some observations

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #6,622 of 25,834
Sorry for the stupid question, but I want to be sure that I understand well: when using a music server, I will get better sound with music server > blu2>DAVE than just music server>DAVE ? Correct ?

How the sound will be changed ? Even more details ( IMO DAVE already provides enough details) or better musicality and more "be there" ? What to expect from this 1 million taps ?
Yes you will get better sound,you can plug anything in that's got a digital out.By the way it's a good job you didn't buy the original blu as it can not be upgraded,even know we were told it would be.Naughty dealers,Naughty Chord,not very good customer care is it?

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #6,623 of 25,834
Great scoop Roy i think all of us in here highly regard this info from you.

Neverteless i hope and pray for a stand alone M-Scaler with USB / S/Pdif as everyone would like to buy, even not Chord owners.

Can you describe in short what you felt happened with the sound besides depht and clarity? Did it give you a more analog feeling with some wamth left or?
From your description i read it like it is more of the same as if it is about to tip over against the slightly analythical side, or what is your honest golden ear opinion?

Then it would have been great fun to hook it up to a diffrent DAC brand like a Nagra, Esoteric , Emmlabs , DCS or why not a Mojo and see what would happen!

Have a great day on CES !

I think so too. I have never bought a CD Player in my life, and don't even know what an ADC does.

Nonetheless I really like the sonic improvements possible here.

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #6,624 of 25,834
  I think so too. I have never bought a CD Player in my life, and don't even know what an ADC does.

Nonetheless I really like the sonic improvements possible here.

An ADC (Analogue to Digital Converter) is the opposite of a DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter).

An ADC will be used:
  1. by recording companies to convert the analogue signal from microphones, into a digital file for recording/editing purposes.
  2. the Devialet digital amplifiers use an ADC to convert the analogue signal from turntables, into a digital format, which can then have digital RIAA de-equalisation performed, prior to digital amplification
  3. some vinyl users, including those who own old rare records that were never released as CDs, like to use an ADC to capture a digital version (eg FLAC or similar) of their record. This helps avoid the wear and tear on the old record, but until now, not all ADCs managed to capture the full analogue experience. Hopefully the davina ADC will raise the bar somewhat.
  4. owners of old analogue tapes, also like to create digital versions, before the tapes wear out.

Hope this helps explain things at a top level. 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #6,625 of 25,834
A fun combo would be the Blu MkII M-scaler connected to the DAVINA with the dual DX inputs and then down to your DAVE connected to the FPGA digital amps with the DX inputs =)

2 m Taps in theory, but it would not work just for now, but in the future =)

I think this is going to be like the Camera: Megapixel / TV: 4K , 8K or 100Hz / 200Hz / 600hz interpolation hysterical development thing.

Next year we are up on 2 m , and the next 3 m Taps ( Moore's Law ). 

So in a couple of years we can look back at this day and laph to this when the dac is equipped with a quant processor made of Grafen =)

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #6,626 of 25,834
  So in a couple of years we can look back at this day and laph to this when the dac is equipped with a quant processor made of Grafen =)

...and CDs consist of the same material (graphene)...
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #6,628 of 25,834

An ADC (Analogue to Digital Converter) is the opposite of a DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter).

An ADC will be used:
  1. by recording companies to convert the analogue signal from microphones, into a digital file for recording/editing purposes.
  2. the Devialet digital amplifiers use an ADC to convert the analogue signal from turntables, into a digital format, which can then have digital RIAA de-equalisation performed, prior to digital amplification
  3. some vinyl users, including those who own old rare records that were never released as CDs, like to use an ADC to capture a digital version (eg FLAC or similar) of their record. This helps avoid the wear and tear on the old record, but until now, not all ADCs managed to capture the full analogue experience. Hopefully the davina ADC will raise the bar somewhat.
  4. owners of old analogue tapes, also like to create digital versions, before the tapes wear out.

Hope this helps explain things at a top level. 
regular_smile%20.gif

Thanks. Explains why I had no idea. I do none of those things. :)
  A fun combo would be the Blu MkII M-scaler connected to the DAVINA with the dual DX inputs and then down to your DAVE connected to the FPGA digital amps with the DX inputs =)

You're right! OMG!

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #6,629 of 25,834

​+1
Excellent question.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #6,630 of 25,834

I think this is going to be like the Camera: Megapixel / TV: 4K , 8K or 100Hz / 200Hz / 600hz interpolation hysterical development thing.

Next year we are up on 2 m , and the next 3 m Taps ( Moore's Law ). 

I can see where you are coming here but it doesn't actually work that way - the taps are only used when it up scales, so a 768 khz signal would just get past through another M scaler unchanged.

As too Moore's law - hmm it's running out of steam, so the rate of progress is  much slower now.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back