CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 17, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #5,761 of 25,859
  Can you provide details on how did you change polarity on DAVE?

Oh, that's quite simple for us Europeans. Here in Europe we use so-called CEE 7/4 or CEE7/7 Schuko AC powerplug, Schuko sockets are unpolarised, there is no way of differentiating between the two live contacts, so the plug can be used in two ways (you can turn them upside-down). With some equipment it is necessary to do a polarity check for the best sound, so I was wondering if I would also notice a difference in SQ with DAVE.

Indeed I did, as I mention in the post above.

If you live in a country were power-plug polarity is fixed, the only way I can think of changing polarity is to rewire your powercord yourself..

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #5,762 of 25,859

Oh, that's quite simple for us Europeans. Here in Europe we use so-called CEE 7/4 or CEE7/7 Schuko AC powerplug, Schuko sockets are unpolarised, there is no way of differentiating between the two live contacts, so the plug can be used in two ways (you can turn them upside-down). With some equipment it is necessary to do a polarity check for the best sound, so I was wondering if I would also notice a difference in SQ with DAVE.

Indeed I did, as I mention in the post above.

If you live in a country were power-plug polarity is fixed, the only way I can think of changing polarity is to rewire your powercord yourself..

Thanks, I live in US and would want to try this for a long time but haven't find a good solution.

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #5,764 of 25,859
Peter (GeneralSensible),

It looks like we have similar systems and similar tastes in components.

I haven't bough or heard the DAVE DAC yet as I'm still auditioning other units, I do own a pair of Revel Ultima 2s which are drive by Classe Monoblocks.

How does the DAVE pair with the Revel Salon 2s?  Is your system on the warm or cold side of neutral?

Have you experimented with the Balanced output of the DAVE driving directly your monoblocks?  Did you prefer SE or Balanced?Any obvious differences in sound quality between them?

Which interconnects are you using?  I'm using Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 balanced interconnects.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #5,765 of 25,859

p.s. I ended up buying the WireWorld Silver Electra 7 powercord. I also tested the Platinum version and this one is even better. For me the 4x higher pricetag kept me from buying it, but it took a lot of  self-control to keep me from buying the Platinum.

+10 for buying the WireWorld Silver Electra 7 power cord. I auditioned many, many power cords, and I even dumped the Shunyata and High Fidelity Cables (even the Ultimate) for the bliss I received from the Silver Electra 7. I, too, tried the Platinum, but it just couldn't compete.

I think I had said elsewhere that what's super appealing about the Silver Electra 7 is that it doesn't color the sound in any way, unlike many cables. It takes the stock cable sound and expands on it in all of the ways that other cable manufacturers advertise, but come short, i.e. cleaner separation of instruments, low distortion, airy sound, natural tonality, etc. But it's all done without messing with the stock signature.

It really goes to prove that one doesn't have to spend an arm and a leg to get the most out of DAVE, and because of this, it makes it more apparent that Rob's design is nearly flawless in its independence of peripherals. Sure, experimenting is cool, and yes there are benefits that one can get from USB cables, power cords, AC regenerators, etc., but the gap is not as large as I was originally reading from others.

In other words, everything can have an effect, but is it always the best effect? Most of the time, from my experience, the answer would be no. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #5,767 of 25,859

In performance or price point?  Are you saying the Platinum was not as good as the Electra 7?

I found no sonic benefit from the Platinum. If it was better, I would have kept it, believe me, but there's just something about the Silver Electra 7 that just sounds "right," regardless of price.

The Platinum slightly fuxed with the signature, which is what many of the other brands do. I realized that I didn't want that. I wanted the stock sound, but more open and expansive, which is what I got with the Silver Electra 7.  

Nov 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #5,769 of 25,859
  Peter (GeneralSensible),

It looks like we have similar systems and similar tastes in components.

I haven't bough or heard the DAVE DAC yet as I'm still auditioning other units, I do own a pair of Revel Ultima 2s which are drive by Classe Monoblocks.

How does the DAVE pair with the Revel Salon 2s?  Is your system on the warm or cold side of neutral?

Have you experimented with the Balanced output of the DAVE driving directly your monoblocks?  Did you prefer SE or Balanced?Any obvious differences in sound quality between them?

Which interconnects are you using?  I'm using Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 7 balanced interconnects.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Silvertone,

If you haven't heard the DAVE yet, then I would say: "Don't wait another day!!" I think you will very much like it in your set.

My system is as neutral as it can get, that's the way I like it. I select all the components as fast, transparent and neutral sounding as possible and the DAVE totally fits this picture.

I did some experiments with XLR, both via the pre-amp with Madrigal CZ-Gel cabling and also directly on the DAVE with Van Den Hul cables. But really, the best results I got using the RCA inputs on the DAVE. I'm using WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7, I like them very much (but haven't heard the platinum version yet).

Again, if you haven't heard DAVE yet, give it a try. I think you will be surprised, as I was a couple of weeks ago. 

Good listening,
Peter.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #5,771 of 25,859

+10 for buying the WireWorld Silver Electra 7 power cord. I auditioned many, many power cords, and I even dumped the Shunyata and High Fidelity Cables (even the Ultimate) for the bliss I received from the Silver Electra 7. I, too, tried the Platinum, but it just couldn't compete.

I think I had said elsewhere that what's super appealing about the Silver Electra 7 is that it doesn't color the sound in any way, unlike many cables. It takes the stock cable sound and expands on it in all of the ways that other cable manufacturers advertise, but come short, i.e. cleaner separation of instruments, low distortion, airy sound, natural tonality, etc. But it's all done without messing with the stock signature.

I totally agree and had the same experience with the Silver Electra cable. To be honest I did hear a slight improvement in SQ with the platinum, but that was a marginal improvement and not worth 4x the price-tag in this case. The improvement was slightly better micro-dynamics, especially noticeable on the Benjamin Clementine track "Winston Churchill's Boy"., but again too small to go for the Platinum.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #5,772 of 25,859
  Interesting. Was this Electra match made in heaven specifically with DAVE? Or did you get the same magic with Electra to other components as well?

Generally my experience with WireWorld cabling is that they fit most set-ups. That's quite special. They do not introduce their own special "sound fingerprint" which actually for me is another word for adding distortion. 

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #5,773 of 25,859
I totally agree and had the same experience with the Silver Electra cable. To be honest I did hear a slight improvement in SQ with the platinum, but that was a marginal improvement and not worth 4x the price-tag in this case. The improvement was slightly better micro-dynamics, especially noticeable on the Benjamin Clementine track "Winston Churchill's Boy"., but again too small to go for the Platinum.

How much run-in do you think the Silver Electra 7 power cord will need? I think the loan cable I will be getting will be new. The dealer said he would run it in a bit for me but I can't imagine him giving it more than about 50 hours.

Nov 17, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #5,774 of 25,859
How much run-in do you think the Silver Electra 7 power cord will need? I think the loan cable I will be getting will be new. The dealer said he would run it in a bit for me but I can't imagine him giving it more than about 50 hours.

To be honest I don't know exactly. What I can say is that I connected the cables in the morning, listened a little bit but not very intensive. I heard a bit harshness, but those cables came straight from the box. I went to work and in the evening I started listening. I liked what they did. This was Monday evening. I repeated the session yesterday during the day and I didn't notice any difference in SQ so the cables were probably already in optimum condition on Monday evening.

Nov 17, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #5,775 of 25,859
I've given up being surprised by the difference between what should and what does have an affect on SQ. 
Happily for most of us. the best sound you heard coincides with the normal polarity of a standard iec power cord :xf_eek:

Well, in the UK at least :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back