CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 30, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #12,796 of 25,873
I am not using the Wifi module on the Aries; it's connected via ethernet. I've used the Aries extensively with other DACs, and never a problem with DSD.
Okay. I use Sonore ultraRendu, powered by Uptone LPS-1 power supply. I rarely listen to DSD files but I never get dropouts from them from my DAVE or Blu2. Also, ultraRendu is Ethernet only.

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #12,798 of 25,873
Happy almost new year!

Quick question around DSD with my Dave. I am using it with an Auralic Aries and, when playing DSD, very occasionally I'll get a pop or a click.

Interestingly with the Dave I had on demo months ago, it wouldn't pop or click but would have much more frequent drop outs.

I think there was running changes with Dave to address this - which is why I get no dropouts now but occasional pops or clicks - but that's another conversation.

My question is, can anyone recommend a Roon ready streamer, with USB output, that works flawlessly with Dave/DSD? Currently works perfectly via my Mac Mini (running windows), but I want to use a streamer.

I like that the Aries works over wifi - but I do have an ethernet connection - so that would be fine. That said, would like the flexibility of running a streamer via wifi moving forward.

But first things first - what streamers work flawlessly with DSD, have USB outputs, and are Roon ready? Ultra/Micro rendu? Anything like that with wifi? Can I hook up a wireless bridge to Ultra/Micro rendu without sonic degradation?

Thanks!
I know that this does not help with your dropout issues but would you mind commenting on the SQ of the Aries (I am considering the G1) compared to your Mac Mini ? I would also appreciate feedback from other Aries or Melco users who have moved from laptop on battery/DAVE. Having mentioned Melco their models seem well regarded if you cannot solve your Aries issues. Thanks in advance.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #12,800 of 25,873
Happy almost new year!

Quick question around DSD with my Dave. I am using it with an Auralic Aries and, when playing DSD, very occasionally I'll get a pop or a click.

Interestingly with the Dave I had on demo months ago, it wouldn't pop or click but would have much more frequent drop outs.

I think there was running changes with Dave to address this - which is why I get no dropouts now but occasional pops or clicks - but that's another conversation.

My question is, can anyone recommend a Roon ready streamer, with USB output, that works flawlessly with Dave/DSD? Currently works perfectly via my Mac Mini (running windows), but I want to use a streamer.

I like that the Aries works over wifi - but I do have an ethernet connection - so that would be fine. That said, would like the flexibility of running a streamer via wifi moving forward.

But first things first - what streamers work flawlessly with DSD, have USB outputs, and are Roon ready? Ultra/Micro rendu? Anything like that with wifi? Can I hook up a wireless bridge to Ultra/Micro rendu without sonic degradation?

Thanks!

I replaced my Auralic Aries with a Sonore microRendu. I had not had any DSD streaming issues with either one, but I found the sound quality to be superior with the microRendu plus the mR supports Roon. Later, when the ultraRendu became available I moved up to the uR. Likewise, better sound quality, no DSD issues. Replacing my Uptone LPS 1 power supply to the uR with a Sonore Signature power supply was also a nice bump up in SQ.

I'm now using an Innuos Zenith running Roon Core. I don't do any upsampling (the Innuos philosophy is, light-weight low-power optimized CPU and OS to avoid large current demands) and have not had any DSD streaming issues from NAS or from the Zenith local drive.

The few times in the past that I've had any glitches, DSD or otherwise, I traced them back to local area network problems. So an eye to having a solid network is prudent.

Hope this helps,

Steve Z

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #12,801 of 25,873
I don't think I've ever shared this here but a while back I had the whole Chord family (at the time) in black:

image0 (1).jpg
image1 (1).jpg
image2.jpg

image1 (2).jpg

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #12,802 of 25,873
I replaced my Auralic Aries with a Sonore microRendu. I had not had any DSD streaming issues with either one, but I found the sound quality to be superior with the microRendu plus the mR supports Roon. Later, when the ultraRendu became available I moved up to the uR. Likewise, better sound quality, no DSD issues. Replacing my Uptone LPS 1 power supply to the uR with a Sonore Signature power supply was also a nice bump up in SQ.

I'm now using an Innuos Zenith running Roon Core. I don't do any upsampling (the Innuos philosophy is, light-weight low-power optimized CPU and OS to avoid large current demands) and have not had any DSD streaming issues from NAS or from the Zenith local drive.

The few times in the past that I've had any glitches, DSD or otherwise, I traced them back to local area network problems. So an eye to having a solid network is prudent.

Hope this helps,

Steve Z

Thanks all for the help.

I listened to a number 64/128 DSD albums last night and didn't experience any issues at all, so perhaps it is either resolved by newer Aries firmware. or so in frequent as to not worry about.

From digging, previous issues seem to be occur partially because Chord Dacs can't receive native DSD from Linux. But if DoP works this well, it's not really much of an issue. I've been eyeing the Innuos, but I really only need a streamer.

There is a sound quality improvement moving from a mac mini to Aries, but it's minor to my ears. I am using the femto version with the linear power supply. Wondering if jumping to an ultrarendu would yield significant enhancements - or money is better spent elsewhere (HMS, additional Headphones for use with the Dave direct - maybe HE1000SE, Focal Utopia or Meze Empyrean).

Truth be told I am incredibly happy with Dave's performance with my Stax 009 through a KGSSHV Carbon, and my LCD 4 Direct.

Listening to the LCD 4 last night again direct made me realize that there isn't really anything lost going direct, and that the V281 provides a different flavor. I am more and more favoring go direct.

Maybe wait until CanJam in NYC in February to hear some things rather than rush out and buy something new. I bought Dave new, and while I got a good price, it was still some serious coin. Thing is, he makes you want to buy new things for him, because he's so good.

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #12,803 of 25,873
direct is best for sure if possible,,,,in some cases the amp enhances and in other cases it detracts...the LCD-4 and Abyss Phi are on the borderline...the Susvara MUST have the amp and the Utopia definitely does not require it...that is my take from experience on what i consider the 4 best HP options

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #12,804 of 25,873
direct is best for sure if possible,,,,in some cases the amp enhances and in other cases it detracts...the LCD-4 and Abyss Phi are on the borderline...the Susvara MUST have the amp and the Utopia definitely does not require it...that is my take from experience on what i consider the 4 best HP options

I think that's right, IMHO for the LCD-4. I have the V281 and Auralic Taurus mkII (selling the latter, BTW). With the V281, as it has a touch of warmth, I perceive more Bass quantity - but it's partially because it's just a hair of a darker amp - but it's plenty of bass for me regardless. I do sense more soundstage with the V281, with direct to Dave transparency is significantly approved.

I feel like the Taurus is more wire with gain, therefore, it sounds to me just like the Dave direct out - but with a slight loss of transparency. I think I will likely keep the V281 as it offers another flavor.

How is Susvara with V281 and Dave? I've read mixed reviews - but am really intrigued by the Susvara. If I have to buy another amp, I'd probably opt for a Utopia, He1000SE or Meze Empyrian (of course I'd still have to demo the latter two). I could also try Susvara with Taurus, and not sell that; I'm curious if that has enough juice/synergy as well.

If Susvara is a significant upgrade to HE1000SE, even while amping through V281, I may go in that direction.

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #12,805 of 25,873
the susvara and dave doesnt work the 281 with the susvara and dave is outstanding

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #12,806 of 25,873
the susvara and dave doesnt work the 281 with the susvara and dave is outstanding

Thanks - sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't planning on running susvara direct - but curious of synergy with Dave>V281>Susvara. I'm assuming that's what you are running, and is good news!

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #12,808 of 25,873
So what is the Chord secret little thingy coming out at CES?
2019 is Chord's 30th anniversary, and they have already announced their flagship products (Ultima pre and power amps) to celebrate this event.
In addition Chord are not on the CES exhibitor list.
Maybe Chord will do the same as 2018, and announce new products at several shows throughout the year.

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #12,810 of 25,873
2019 is Chord's 30th anniversary, and they have already announced their flagship products (Ultima pre and power amps) to celebrate this event.
In addition Chord are not on the CES exhibitor list.
Maybe Chord will do the same as 2018, and announce new products at several shows throughout the year.
Happy New Year everyone! Overall we exhibit and attend around forty five shows per annum world wide including all the headfi shows and although we enjoy the CES in LasVegas we’ve noticed a tendency of ever increasing exhibition costs but fewer press and relevant attendees over these last years. Therefore we decided to give the CES a break and to look into the Namm Anaheim Pro show later in this month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back