1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851
853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862
Next

Last
  1. seaice
    Yes, the Dave crossfeed is great. I use settings 2 and 3.

simorag likes this.
  2. x RELIC x Contributor
    Yes, indeed!

Edit: @koven, did you seal the earcup when taking your measurements? Usually measures louder. Also, I have to take a step back on my measurements. I am a quiet listener. See attached, and my apologies.

6ADF9558-0A91-4E0C-BAC3-AEFA8DCA84BF.jpeg

I’ve been a little distracted lately as I lost my grandfather a couple of days ago (98). Wishing everyone time with their loved ones during this holiday season.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    miketlse and Aslshark like this.
  3. jlbrach
    i tend to listen to utopia via my dave/blu2 between -30 and -20 with an occasional above or below

4. Jawed
    I don't have anything useful to say about pretty much all the headphones you list, but:
    I'd be tempted to say that DAVE is the first grain-free DAC you've ever listened to (Hugo 2 is quite grainy by comparison, for example - comparing both driven via optical into HD 800 S), so Utopia may just have suffered from being too revealing of that problem.

Now playing: Michael Vincent Waller - Lines

bidn likes this.
  5. ufospls2

Sorry to hear about your grandfather mate. Hope you get to enjoy some tunes over the next few days. Merry Christmas :)

x RELIC x likes this.
  6. koven Contributor
    Ah I am probably measuring improperly then.. I don't seal the mic, I just place it near the driver/inside an earcup. I do listen on the louder side though.

And sorry to hear that, condolences my friend.

x RELIC x likes this.
  7. drew911d
    Appologies for how many times this question has been asked, but the answer can change with new tech always being released. What laptop is best with the DAVE with and without MScaler?

I know, ask 10 people and get 12 different answers, lol. I prefer a large screen soo I can also use it for netflix. Ideas, why's?

Thanks

8. Thenewguy007
    Rob only recommended Windows laptop because they can guarantee bitperfect play vs iOS, Android & Linux.
    As for suggestions? There are 1000s to choose from every price point.

9. dleblanc343
    Listening levels are extremely important in describing/comparing headphones in audiophile hobbies. As a salesperson (an honest caring one!), I experience first hand and get a sense of customer's interpreting headphones in different ways and expressing fully well what they hear, despite me not hearing the same. I consider myself having a great ear for nuance, and I have great hearing, but I listen moderate to moderate-loud levels.

All this to say, I'm glad you found the HE6se to be to your your liking, I'd agree it's probably the most dynamic headphone out there for metal, but I think your low level listening really tames down the highs! (for the better). Of all the headphones you've mentioned, the HE6 has the most aggressive 1-6khz range despite what you hear, but they really become problematic once you start turning up the volume.

I have OG HE6 with 3 varieties of pads, 2 different cables, and I've done mods and reverted back in the end because of the aggressive highs. My solution, a really really warm McIntosh MC225 with a modified HiFiMAN speaker tap impedence adaptor! It's bliss, the more musical compliment to my Focal Clears. That being said, my fresh out of the box upgraded HE1000se are audibly on another level to me, so your critiques are really fascinating. Music is very personal.

Also, recently got in stock the Empyrean, and I agree much with your assessment. But it does open up and gain dynamics with volume. I know this headphone will be a huge hit for the audiophiles who listen to more upbeat content, and like to crank up the volume, not to mention it's the sexiest headphones I've ever held. Just not quite my cup of tea in sound :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    musickid and bidn like this.
  10. drew911d
    Are there any preferred Windows laptops with optical out?

11. rgs9200m
    Susvara + DAVE + good external amp is outstanding. No fatigue (even for someone very sensitive to digital glare like me), fine fleshed out texture, very nice imaging and air, transparent/solid/controlled bass.
    I can only imagine how much an Mscaler would add to this setup, but I haven't heard Mscaling yet...

(That said, it also pays to have a Utopia and/or LCD4 also, as both of these have supreme charms of their own. Very good times for head-fiers IMHO. Many reasons to be very grateful.)

Oh, and last but not least, it *really really pays* to add a wonderful Danacable Lazuli Reference cable to all to these.

Just my own ears telling me these things. No vested interests and just trying to help out here.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Aslshark likes this.
  12. saudio7
    With Meze Empyrean you don’t need any amp:)

13. jlbrach
    there is something to be said for the transparency out of the dave without an external amp....I think the susvara or abyss phi is better than say the utopia but when you take into consideration the fact that the utopia is easily driven by the dave it makes the comparison more difficult....it is preferable to be able to go straight from the dave but there are a handful of HP's in need of an external amp...i myself use the 281

14. Triode User
    What, they run off candles?

15. jlbrach
    i think he means an external amp rather than the dave itself

First

Back
842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851
853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862
Next

Last