CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 21, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #10,876 of 25,876
Welcome to the club!

All is normal. I wouldn't call it hot, as you can still touch it. The display goes out a few seconds after changing the settings, even the volume. Yes, going from PCM to DSD and vice versa takes a longer pressing.
That's why I love this community...
All points answered in less than 30 minutes!
Thanks for the welcome and I'm sure I will post a couple of more questions tomorrow.

Now playing: Tom Waits "Hoist That Rag"

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #10,877 of 25,876
More than one person has commented on the Blu 2 thread that they discovered that USB sounded bad by comparison with CD replay and then spent a lot of effort to get USB to sound as good as CD replay.

I'm not suggesting that CD replay doesn't need help from ferrites. Merely that RF problems encountered with CD replay are far less than those encountered with USB playback via Blu 2.

I'm fairly sure you're wrong in attributing this to Rob and that it's not his current opinion. He is quite categorical now: optical is the reference and USB, at best, can merely equal it.

No, Rob has said that RF is like fungus.

AES and USB are both differential signal standards, though USB has more connections because of the requirement to provide power.

The problem with AES is that pin 1 is often connected to the cable's shield at both ends. This means that RF noise in the source is transmitted into the destination.

A correctly built AES cable has nothing connected to pin 1 at the destination end. I'm pretty sure that such an AES cable will sound vastly better into DAVE because many people have reported that a cable built this way sounds much better into other DACs. These reports go back about 20 years. I'm not aware of anyone having tried such a cable with DAVE, so it's only a supposition for the time being.

Vinyl is awful. If BluDave isn't trampling all over it, you have something really wrong in your setup. You should probably sell BluDAVE and invest in a Nakamichi cassette deck as a second source to your vinyl.

Now playing: Phoebe Bridgers - Smoke Signals

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #10,878 of 25,876
More than one person has commented on the Blu 2 thread that they discovered that USB sounded bad by comparison with CD replay and then spent a lot of effort to get USB to sound as good as CD replay.

I'm not suggesting that CD replay doesn't need help from ferrites. Merely that RF problems encountered with CD replay are far less than those encountered with USB playback via Blu 2.

I'm fairly sure you're wrong in attributing this to Rob and that it's not his current opinion. He is quite categorical now: optical is the reference and USB, at best, can merely equal it.

No, Rob has said that RF is like fungus.

AES and USB are both differential signal standards, though USB has more connections because of the requirement to provide power.

The problem with AES is that pin 1 is often connected to the cable's shield at both ends. This means that RF noise in the source is transmitted into the destination.

A correctly built AES cable has nothing connected to pin 1 at the destination end. I'm pretty sure that such an AES cable will sound vastly better into DAVE because many people have reported that a cable built this way sounds much better into other DACs. These reports go back about 20 years. I'm not aware of anyone having tried such a cable with DAVE, so it's only a supposition for the time being.

Vinyl is awful. If BluDave isn't trampling all over it, you have something really wrong in your setup. You should probably sell BluDAVE and invest in a Nakamichi cassette deck as a second source to your vinyl.

Now playing: Phoebe Bridgers - Smoke Signals
So what you are saying is that i can sell my isoregen and lps-1 and hook up optical to my computer that run on batteries and thats better?

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #10,879 of 25,876
So what you are saying is that i can sell my isoregen and lps-1 and hook up optical to my computer that run on batteries and thats better?
DAVE comes with a 1m optical cable. Disconnect all other inputs from DAVE and just use the optical.

If it sounds better then, yeah, sell the spaghetti (Regen and LPS-1). Optical is best even if the computer is running from mains power.

If you plan to buy Blu 2 (to get the M scaler technology, 1 million taps!), you might want to keep the spaghetti, because Blu 2 doesn't have an an optical input, only USB and BNC SPDIF.

Chord might release another product that has M scaler technology to feed into DAVE, and that might have an optical input. But who knows.

I think a USB cable with lots of ferrites is preferable to spaghetti. With enough ferrites it results in the same sound quality as optical, even if the computer is mains powered. See my signature.

In theory a battery powered computer with a USB connection to DAVE doesn't need ferrites and will not benefit from the spaghetti that you have.

Some people like the sound quality of a spaghetti solution, preferring it to the sound of optical. With just a little RF noise getting into DAVE there can be a subtle kind of sharp, zingy quality in the sound, which can be attractive.

Now playing: Nil Ciuró - Doom

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #10,881 of 25,876
Thanks. I will try it the keep it simple stupid way..i will test optical and usb without the spagetti..thanks..now i wait for dave..over 7 weaks wait now...........

Welcome to the waiting bandwagon. I am on the 4th week of a 'Black' Chord Dave order. I have also ordered an Aurender N10 streamer. There goes $16,000 for a totl front-end.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #10,882 of 25,876
Thanks. I will try it the keep it simple stupid way..i will test optical and usb without the spagetti..thanks..now i wait for dave..over 7 weaks wait now...........
I waited 12 weeks, 15 months ago, for my black DAVE. I could have walked out of the shop with a silver DAVE.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #10,884 of 25,876
That will depend on when they arrive. I've got to order AQ Thunder PCs for both and then fix them on stillpoints. Impressions better be "the girlfriend experience" level :)

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #10,887 of 25,876
So it takes longer for a black dave?

Amazing new study reveals that Black Swans evolved into Black DAVEs and then into Black Blu2s....

Does make one wonder why production doesn't just shift to more black units. (or -- maybe I shouldn't mention it -- add an upcharge for black!)

Last Oct, in N. America, black DAVEs were quoted at 6 wks (came in 4.5 for me) and Silver within a week (i.e. in stock at distributor).

This past Jan, black Blu 2s were quoted at 12 wks (mine came in a bit over 10). I didn't ask for about Silver as I already had a black DAVE, though I did see a report of someone in the U.S. finding a Silver at a dealer for walk-in pick-up.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #10,888 of 25,876
I waited 12 weeks, 15 months ago, for my black DAVE. I could have walked out of the shop with a silver DAVE.
Brought a smile to my face.
When I was ordering my Hugo2, I was planning to order a black one, but the silver version was offered at a good discount.
I reflected on the offer, and realised that my AV amp was silver, my Arcam amp was silver, my 40 year old amp was silver, and the only black equipment that I had was my Mojo.
So I ordered the silver Hugo2.
I don't regret my decision.
It is amazing how much the equipment colour can influence ones decisions.
I was getting interested in the launch of the Qutest, but then it was announced that it would be black only, when i was potentially interested in only silver.
So I passed on the Qutest, but nearly all the posts say that it has turned out to be a great dac.
I am not criticising anyone, the choice of equipment colour can be very personal, and impacted by the other AV equipment colour, the room colour, etc.

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #10,889 of 25,876
Amazing new study reveals that Black Swans evolved into Black DAVEs and then into Black Blu2s....

Does make one wonder why production doesn't just shift to more black units. (or -- maybe I shouldn't mention it -- add an upcharge for black!)

Last Oct, in N. America, black DAVEs were quoted at 6 wks (came in 4.5 for me) and Silver within a week (i.e. in stock at distributor).

This past Jan, black Blu 2s were quoted at 12 wks (mine came in a bit over 10). I didn't ask for about Silver as I already had a black DAVE, though I did see a report of someone in the U.S. finding a Silver at a dealer for walk-in pick-up.
I orderd black!!! I guess i will get extra magic then...lol...and extra wait..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back