CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 1, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #10,606 of 26,005
Andrew I’m not making any particular claim I just told you why Rob left it the way it was yes it was a mistake on Robs part however when he demonstrated why he’d like to leave it the way it was he justified his choice and I agreed. Wether you think it’s BS is neither here or there, I just advised you why it’s, the way it is. Also I never mentioned Pitch when writing about Kind Blue I mention mic distortion at the beginning of certain tracks what you mentioned about pitch was completely irrelevant other than to justify your position with additional spurious info.

John, I'm not getting into the back and forth on this one but I would say please update the Dave manual so that it explains that exiting Headphone Mode does not switch off Crossfeed despite the 'Crossfeed' disappearing from the display and that if one wishes to use speakers without crossfeed then it needs switching off before exiting Headphone Mode.

Then everyone would know exactly how to use Dave and this pointless discussion would not pop up every couple of months with someone asking if crossfeed is automatically cancelled when Headphone Mode is exited.

I say pointless discussion because I'm assuming there will not be a firmware update. You have explained how it came to be the way it is and as per usual if you ask 10 HifFi enthusiasts what they want you will get 12 different answers.

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #10,608 of 26,005
We've never seen a firmware update on chord product, right?
Even a fix for the crossfade would be a trivial few hours work for Rob...so why not do it?
There is no mechanism to load an update.

Apr 1, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #10,609 of 26,005
We've never seen a firmware update on chord product, right?
Even a fix for the crossfade would be a trivial few hours work for Rob...so why not do it?
The code in the chord dacs is Robs IPR, so downloads of firmware updates are not possible. The only way to perform updates would be for the dacs to be returned to chord, which would probably be deemed inconvenient, by many of those who are complaining.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #10,610 of 26,005
The code in the chord dacs is Robs IPR, so downloads of firmware updates are not possible. The only way to perform updates would be for the dacs to be returned to chord, which would probably be deemed inconvenient, by many of those who are complaining.
What’s their shipping address I’ll have mine in the mail tomorrow.
Please a sanitary fix to the function, display and add Hugo2’s filters! Let Dave evolve!!!!!!! Please please please!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #10,611 of 26,005
Although I agree with @AndrewOld that it should at least be mentioned in the manual to avoid confusion, I just want to say "chapeaux!" to John and Rob for being so active here.
It's really a honourable commitment they made!

I agree certainly about Rob. His posts are way beyond the call of duty; open, honest, straightforward, his patience with answering queries from the far fringes of hi fi is saintly, the thoughtful, comprehensive answers that he gives are a model as to how to treat, keep and gain customers.

Apr 1, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #10,612 of 26,005

Then fix the manual. Make it clear the risks you run when switching from headphones to speakers.

Apr 1, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #10,613 of 26,005
Anyone who wants to see a firmware update to Dave addressing the crossfeed function and display of the crossfeed function when in use please LIKE this post. Would you like to see filters like Hugo2? Are you willing to return your unit to Chord for the update? If so LIKE this post “this post is written in the most positive light” giving feedback in a positive manner to the manufacturer!!!!!!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #10,615 of 26,005
Anyone who wants to see a firmware update to Dave addressing the crossfeed function and display of the crossfeed function when in use please LIKE this post. Would you like to see filters like Hugo2? Are you willing to return your unit to Chord for the update? If so LIKE this post

No, shall not be liking your post.

Did you skip the lesson where they taught how to win friends and influence people?

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #10,616 of 26,005
Since tensions are evidently running a little high, I'll retract my remark.

FWIW, I do agree that the manual could helpfully be updated, to minmise future confusion, at the very least.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #10,617 of 26,005

Did you skip the lesson where they taught how to win friends and influence people?
Don’t you think Chord would like to know what owners would like. This post is made in a positive sense don’t read negative into it. You seem to take my posts out of context and turn it around in a derogatory way. I guess you just don’t like me because I disagree with some of your statements or you get your kicks by bullying people on the internet? Marc. Happy Easter!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #10,618 of 26,005

So you don’t want to see an update improving this product? You have in previous posts stated you don’t have or are not interested in headphone listening so this subject doesn’t effect you so why are you getting involved?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #10,619 of 26,005
Don’t you think Chord would like to know what owners would like. This post is made in a positive sense don’t read negative into it. You seem to take my posts out of context and turn it around into a derogatory way. I guess you just don’t like me because I disagree with some of your statements or you get your kicks by bullying people on the internet? Marc. Happy Easter!
Rob Watts has stated very clearly and several times that Dave will not get any firmware updates and that the next revision to Dave, possibly in years, would be a new model.

Against that background and if you got your way for your requests then any upgrade would inevitably being a return to Chord matter for a significant upgrade and a £1000 minimum price pops into my mind. Count me out of that.

There's nothing personal here, I'm a pretty happy go lucky chap really and am happy to reciprocate the seasons greetings and wish you a happy Easter. Nick

PS, I do think it would be a good idea if the Dave User Manual is revised regarding the Crossfeed and Headphone Mode thing and I would be pretty sure John Watts will take that onboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #10,620 of 26,005
So you don’t want to see an update improving this product?
Also, Rob Watts has stated very clearly and several times that Dave will not get any firmware updates and that the next revision to Dave, possibly in years, would be a new model.

Against that background and if you got your way for your requests then any upgrade would inevitably being a return to Chord matter for a significant upgrade and a £1000 minimum price pops into my mind. Count me out of that.

There's nothing personal here, I'm a pretty happy go lucky chap really and am happy to reciprocate the seasons greetings and wish you a happy Easter. Nick

PS, I do think it would be a good idea if the Dave User Manual is revised regarding the Crossfeed and Headphone Mode thing and I would be pretty sure John Watts will take that onboard.
i am not up on the history of Dave or Chord so I plead ignorance on that but how can you read negative into my post? I don’t get it? Now when I come home from work late at night and listen to headphones so as not to disturb neighbors now I have to remember to go into a menu to remove crossfeed before returning to speakers the next day? If I bought a 4 wheel drive vehicle I would expect it to go into 4 wheel drive and illuminate 4x4 when I put the lever in 4 wheel drive. I would also expect it to return to 2 wheel drive and the 4x4 indicator to extinguish when I put the lever in 2 wheel drive. I would not expect to be chastised for posting this on a 4 wheel drive forum! This is a $10k piece of kit not $250 I’ll state it again I would like to see a revision fixing this issue. Not an upgrade a fix and I’m willing to ship Dave back to Chord for the fix. This is not anything negative about Dave or Chord or John or Rob I love them all but please fix the problem it affects how I use the product almost every day!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back