CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 20, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #9,841 of 25,885
Relatively new to this board. Been lurking for a bit because of my interest in purchasing a DAVE and ultimately a Blu2.

Just received my DAVE yesterday! With some guidance from @romaz through email (thanks very much Roy) and others who have posted here, I have successfully hooked up the DAVE directly to my Rethm Maarga speakers. They are very efficient (97 db/w/m sensitivity), impedance is 8 ohms nominal, no crossovers and have powered bass drivers built in. I was previously driving them with an Allnic T1500 300b integrated amp.

I wanted to make sure that this combo could work before ordering custom speaker cables to connect RCA output from DAVE to the speakers via banana connector. To do this test, I used a couple of old RCA IC's, opening up the positive and negative on one side to connect to the speakers.

Happy to report that the test was very successful! The DAVE definitely has enough power to drive my Maarga's. I was sitting about 9' away from them in a relatively large room. Amazed out the volume I could get to with this combo. Even with the crappy, hacked together RCA cable, it sounds very good, considering. Can't wait to get new cables in place. I also have some work to do on the media server side.

This is a great forum :)

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #9,843 of 25,885
I am possibly interested on the new Focal Kanta No. 2 loudspeakers. They are 91dB efficient at 8 ohms. I imagine they are not quite efficient enough to be driven directly by DAVE? If so, they are probably a very good candidate to use with the digital amp which I believe is targeted at around 20 WPC?

Jan 24, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #9,844 of 25,885
2W would be light I think. You should also look to audition to see what transparency loss you get from the crossovers. In my dabbling, crossovers have been brutal On the Chord magic...you really need to haul your Chord kit with you to auditions (says the guy that is taking a 3000 mile day trip today with 40-50 pounds of BluDAVE and Hugo2 to audition some speakers :wink:

Jan 24, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #9,845 of 25,885
good luck with the trip

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #9,846 of 25,885
Its not tidy but this is my home office where I listen to Dave for up to 10 hours per day.

110W per channel, not 2W. Transparent, delightful, organic, moving, wonderful.

:grinning:

Currently streaming Radio 3.

IMG_5334.JPG

Jan 25, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #9,847 of 25,885
I used to love listening to Radio 3 - particularly Through the night on iplayer - but two stages of SRC (44.1>48>44.1) and AAC 320 just is not HD. It's painfully obvious that it just does not compare to anything like 44.1/16 bit. Frankly the BBC should be sued for false advertising for claiming this is HD sound.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #9,849 of 25,885
Any sonic improvement with the P10? Have you tried quality shielded cords from the P10 to your equipment?

No improvement noticed but then none was sought nor anticipated.

The P10 is really there to provide a stable mains voltage which in turn provides stable voltages within the valves. If the 845 valves are meant to be 1000V they get a bit hot and bothered if they actually end up with 1100V or even more plate voltages.

I make all my own mains cables from Belden 2.5mm2 CY cable which comes screened anyway so it seems silly not to earth the screen although again, no improvement noticed, sought nor anticipated! I would like to think that my home grown main cables come with your category of "quality shielded cords"!

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #9,851 of 25,885
Chord mojo playing diy 5 inch sealed box speakers directly.

Awesome :ok_hand:

May i know what is the drivers of this Speakers and did make a DIY for the body of this speakers?

Also, does the Mojo is more efficient to power this speaker?

and what is the type of cable did you use, i would prefer to post the link from where did you buy these cables.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #9,853 of 25,885
Do you think the HUGO 2 direct to Omega ALNICO XRS speakers in near field can be adequate without a sub as an intermediate bridge to CHORD Dave direct until I can afford to buy a DAVE? I am also waiting to see a cheaper upscaler with a CD transport for either HUGO 2 or DAVE.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #9,854 of 25,885
Do you think the HUGO 2 direct to Omega ALNICO XRS speakers in near field can be adequate without a sub as an intermediate bridge to CHORD Dave direct until I can afford to buy a DAVE? I am also waiting to see a cheaper upscaler with a CD transport for either HUGO 2 or DAVE.

Below post is from last year.
Since then nothing have changed, bass is very good, no sub, please. There is not much of a difference to Dave, just 3dB, 2Watts vs 1Watt.
There are more happy Chord/Omega users around, so there is really no risk to buy. And by the way, the CD transport is an invariable tool to evaluate streaming devices/servers, and it has been said that it is not so easy to reach the same or even better quality than CD.

quote 2017:
Our daily experience with Hugo2 or DAVE is different, I would like to clarfiy this, otherwise people may think that it is sounds like you have put the handbrake.
No, both Hugo and DAVE can go very loud with our Omegas (97db), we tried it the first evening, when
my good friend had just bought Hugo2 (look above for the walnut Omegas test setup), and after a couple of minutes we had to lower the volume, the room is about 50m2. And there is more:
The sound does not get congested at higher volumes, I have not heard them running out of steam yet.

Feb 2, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #9,855 of 25,885

Only you can decide on the definition of 'adequate'.

Personally I do not find any single driver speakers to be adequate and find much sympathy for those who liken them to be only suitable for 'girl-with-banjo' type of music. This is nothing to do with the power available from Hugo2 or Dave or the efficiency of the speakers but merely a reflection on the inability of any single driver to deliver distortion free music over a wide frequency range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back