CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 30, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #7,381 of 25,927
Maybe I'm too old to be a dude, too set in my ideas to appreciate Chord's design efforts that puts me in a minority of one.  It seems Chord has hit their target market by design rather than despite it.  Viva la difference.

Jan 30, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #7,382 of 25,927
I think Chord amps look fantastic looking from above in a darkened room.

It's a great design in the cold light of day but magical in a low light room.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #7,383 of 25,927

you are right. the original recording quality is way too more important. i also listened to vox cosmica album in 24 96 ( i liked track 2 very much ) through mojo. i never listened such a transparent recording before. ( i have so many audiophile high res recordings of a number of audiophile labels ) the sound of bells is just like listening the real bells in front of you. one could imagine how this recording would sound with dave and M scaler .

Are we talking about this recording?

http://www.carpediem-records.de/en/vox-cosmica

Yes - its my best find from 2016.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #7,385 of 25,927
Yes you are correct in that, but it's the supplied power over the USB coming from the source that would be the issue especially from phone's. It's their battery playing time that would suffer
Galvanic isolation is only really necessary with very old, electrically noisy PC's and laptops. This was because they had relatively primitive switching power supplies. These were Operating at relatively low frequencies This area of technology has been going through a revolution over the last six or seven years with vast improvements occurring. There were many more old source products around a few years ago. Modern laptop, pads and PCs just don't have the levels of ground modulation that would cause problems these days and phone's have virtually none at all so because Robs DAC technology is immuned also to Incoming jitter we felt it was not necessary to include galvanic isolation into Hugo2

This seems to be the case. My new long life battery powered Apple Macbook I use as a source is completely silent, passively cooled, no fans or spinning drives etc, and is very energy efficient. I would be interested in any measurements between this laptop and say an iPhone and an older bettery powered laptop to see what the different noise levels out of the USB are to prove galvanic isolation is not required.

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:15 AM Post #7,386 of 25,927
  Yes - its my best find from 2016.

Wonderful performances.  Thank you!

If you like that, you may like Arnessen's Magnificat  http://www.2l.no/pages/album/106.html

The people at 2L have been doing amazing recordings for several years now.

And for jazz, the dutch site Sound Liaison does some excellent boutique recordings to the highest possible standards http://www.soundliaison.com/

Would be very interesting to see what both producers could do on equipment with the potential of Davina.

Cheers

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #7,387 of 25,927
Looking to use my dave with some Omega desktop speakers , whats the best cable configuration and place to purchase ? Im looking at the 3's or 3i Im guessing the 3's would be best for desk use

Jan 31, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #7,389 of 25,927
When I was searching for Dave I found a website hiendplay.com and they have cables also. Crystal Cable and some others. Ask for better price. They made for me.

How is the reputation of this store? I am thinking of ordering!

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #7,392 of 25,927
Hiend play sell Chord but don't appear to be Chord dealer or distributor.
The Name is a front for a company in Limassol Cypress. We have no distributor there or in Greece it seems to be a rather strange set up that says it has product but we doubt it has. It seems to be something of an attack on us as other products on their site are not heavily discounted. So please do not deal with them they don't appear to be honestly trading.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #7,393 of 25,927
Hello,
Hiendplay speaking.
A friend told me about this conversation.
I am really sorry for that.
First of all no one says that we are distributors or dealers in Greece or in Cyprus. We are brokers. We are recieving products from all over the world, and our first priority is to keep our customers satisfied.
Thank you

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #7,394 of 25,927
The Name is a front for a company in Limassol Cypress. We have no distributor there or in Greece it seems to be a rather strange set up that says it has product but we doubt it has. It seems to be something of an attack on us as other products on their site are not heavily discounted. So please do not deal with them they don't appear to be honestly trading.

Hello,
Hiendplay speaking.
A friend told me about this conversation.
I am really sorry for that.
First of all no one says that we are distributors or dealers in Greece or in Cyprus. We are brokers. We are recieving products from all over the world, and our first priority is to keep our customers satisfied.
Thank you

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #7,395 of 25,927
I use the SonicTransport i5 -> mRendu (powered by LPS-1)-> Curious Cable link -> DAVE. I'm very happy with the results.

I just ordered a couple of Jitterbugs for schitz & giggles. We'll see how that pans out.

An update. I know it's been said that the Jitterbug works with DAVE, but that's plugged right into a laptop, right? Plugged between my Curious Cable and my mRendu, though, it sounded a little muffled. That sucked.

Now, way on the other end, between my NAS drive and the SonicTransport i5,the Jitterbug actually increased the overall SQ by maybe 1%. It was nice. Go figure.

I have an extra Jitterbug now. They say I can run two in a sequence. I'll try that next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back