CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #676 of 25,931
Request

Can someone that is a PS pro convert the Silver DAVE into a Black edition DAVE so we see whats looks best ?

Respectful apologies to Rob & John for how rough this Photoshopping is, but I don't have all evening to do a masterpiece, and an approximate was requested, so here goes:

All silver:

All Black:

Black DAC + Silver stand:

Silver DAC + Black stand:

(original photo credit: hifipig.com)

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #677 of 25,931
And in pink ? 
wink_face.gif

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #678 of 25,931
Respectful apologies to Rob & John for how rough this Photoshopping is, but I don't have all evening to do a masterpiece, and an approximate was requested, so here goes:

All silver:

All Black:

Black DAC + Silver stand:

Silver DAC + Black stand:

(original photo credit: hifipig.com)
I wanted black, but after seeing this now I think I want the silver one. Thank you for doing that, so we can see the difference.

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #680 of 25,931
  And in pink ? 
wink_face.gif

tongue_smile.gif

I wanted black, but after seeing this now I think I want the silver one.

Black looks good!

I'd steer away from the 'mixed' colour schemes (just did those for fun
wink.gif
), but I actually like both the 'all black' and the 'all silver' options. They each have a pleasant purposeful appearance, in their own ways.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #683 of 25,931
I have recently removed my preamplifier and use my computer digital volume control for my Chord QBD76HDSD with the balanced output to the amplifier and the unbalanced output to the powered subwoofers. I wonder if Chord DAVE would simultaneously output signals to the balanced and unbalanced outputs with internal volume control so that I can just replace my QBD76HDSD with the DAVE. Also, it'll be wonderful to be able to just plug in the headphone into the DAVE at night. I presume plugging in the headphone into the headphone jack would defeat the balanced and unbalanced outputs? It's so difficult to get more information from the Canadian dealer and distributor because of the unknowns, which in turn makes it difficult to commit to a preorder, sight unseen, despite the great reputations of all Chord products.

From what Rob answered erlier in this thread if i remember correctly the DAVE will mute all other outlets if you connect a headphone in the phono output.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #684 of 25,931
I have a question Rob Watts, when you did listening tests, did you try different types of speakers? I own Magnepan 3.7i and those are different from cone speakers, so I was wondering, did you try different speakers and did that make a difference in depth perception?
I think my Magnepans give some serious depth to music just on their own.
Also, is "holographic sound" the same as depth in your opinion, or are they referring to two different things?
Thanks.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #685 of 25,931

All Black:

quote]

Thanks allot for your time to make a Chord Dave in All Black !!

My last qbd76HDSD was silver with lavender led light, but i think this time i want to match my existing components and my Abyss headphones, so i ordered a black DAVE yesterday. I also think its always better if you wait a little for the second batch if its som minor production faults or sw display bugs or likewise, they have some time to correct this until next batch.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #686 of 25,931
So if your musical taste usually gravitates to popular music where recordings are made with multiple overdubs and effects with no real sense of place, how would DAVE's precise soundstage work for you? Live classical, jazz and acoustic music, sure, I get that; that's the ideal recording situation for mining gold with a DAC like DAVE. However, that's not what the majority of people are usually listening to on their home rigs. Not a criticism, just asking. Mind you, I've never heard DAVE so I'm simply curious to read about the experiences of others who have listened to Pop music played back with DAVE.

Esau

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #687 of 25,931
esimms, modern music with overdubs still has image placement (provided the phase is intact.) the images are just more localised than say an orchestral recording. Dave is unlikely to project a Hammond organ or lead guitar too far away but that is unlikely to be the intention of the producer. I would expect Dave to reproduce exactly what is in the recording but I would not expect Dave to falsely image more closely a recording that has been recorded at distance (as other dacs currently do) based upon Rob Watts explanation of its character. It's all about the truth I would say.

Judging by comments of other listeners, if there is a sound booth ambience in the vocal recording you will likely hear it. If an ambient microphone as well as a close proximity mic has been used on an acoustic guitar you will likely hear it. The placing in the soundstage will be decided by the panning on the mixing desk for the original take and the added reverb (if any) If it is not there then it isn't in the recording and that's not the fault of the Dac. Of course Imaging is not the only consideration for buying Dave. It has more to it than that. Musicality and emotion are two aspects of the presentation that are important to me. In my opinion the goal of hifi performance should be to 'move' the listener emotionally in the same way live performances do. If you can achieve that then many other aspects of hifi will naturally be enhanced too. I get the impression already from the comments of listeners that Dave is moving us further down that path.

Nov 15, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #688 of 25,931
I like your guitar btw

Nov 15, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #689 of 25,931
@DaveRedRef-III, well said. that should be the goal of a dac ie to reproduce the original as close as possible. things like emotional attachment, realism, imaging etc will automatically pour in .

Nov 15, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #690 of 25,931
  I have a question Rob Watts, when you did listening tests, did you try different types of speakers? I own Magnepan 3.7i and those are different from cone speakers, so I was wondering, did you try different speakers and did that make a difference in depth perception?
I think my Magnepans give some serious depth to music just on their own.
Also, is "holographic sound" the same as depth in your opinion, or are they referring to two different things?
Thanks.

Yes the speakers suppress depth perception. But I am not looking for the ultimate depth, but for it to be transparent enough to expose differences. Fortunately, its very easy to hear minute changes in depth perception, certainly for a trained listener. Indeed, the brain tends to exaggerate, in an AB test one will sound flat as a pancake the other much deeper, but the actual change is actually very small.

This is fortunate, as we have no control over the recording chain, and the loudspeakers - this is one of the attractions of doing the pro ADC, that will just leave the microphone and loudspeaker not under my control. Depth perception is a small signal non-linearity problem, and this is an electronics problem, not so much a transducer problem.

Yes depth is about making it more holographic. One of the benefits of getting this right is with movies; film production spend considerable sums on recording, and they spend a lot of effort getting depth cues into the soundtrack. It really adds to the experience by having a convincing depth perception.

But there is more too it than convincingly portraying depth; when you can hear depth cues, you can also perceive other small details too. But its an easy way to assess - something sounds 40 feet away, against something that sounds 45 feet away.

Rob 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back