CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 14, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #662 of 25,934
Ok that's great. When I tried few weeks ago. It wouldn't work with my iPhone.

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:07 AM Post #665 of 25,934
Good to hear you have bitten the bullet Beolab. I made the same decision earlier this week. Mine will be silver though to match my other gear.

Wisnon
Thanks for the link.
"The Dave was good enough to have me searching for the “lost” $75K from the MSB select DAC … at least for PCM."

When someone questions the merits of an $89k product from a highly respected brand compared to one that is priced at just a 6th the price, It makes you wonder just how good the lower product must be.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #666 of 25,934
My friend Winston heard the Dave and liked it very much , he hated my Hugo at time and feels Dave is where Hugo should have been . We all like our music as we do and all of chord products are made very well and Musical

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #667 of 25,934
My friend Winston heard the Dave and liked it very much , he hated my Hugo at time and feels Dave is where Hugo should have been . We all like our music as we do and all of chord products are made very well and Musical

I hope that this is really the case.  I owe a HUGO that I like BUT find to analytical and do not bring me emotions.  As I said before, we do not need a "super HUGO" that gives much more details, we need to hear more music, saoul & feelings.

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #668 of 25,934
That is how I feel and my friend felt the DAVE was a complete change in sound
It had more weight and more musical everything the HUGO lacks os here now. I feel the os audio ds is a fine dac too but needs a little more weight as well. What ever mr watts has done it seems it's now a more involving sound. Hopefully as more room is Nero. Completion I can find someone with a DAVE and do shootout with a few dacs

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #669 of 25,934
I have recently removed my preamplifier and use my computer digital volume control for my Chord QBD76HDSD with the balanced output to the amplifier and the unbalanced output to the powered subwoofers. I wonder if Chord DAVE would simultaneously output signals to the balanced and unbalanced outputs with internal volume control so that I can just replace my QBD76HDSD with the DAVE. Also, it'll be wonderful to be able to just plug in the headphone into the DAVE at night. I presume plugging in the headphone into the headphone jack would defeat the balanced and unbalanced outputs? It's so difficult to get more information from the Canadian dealer and distributor because of the unknowns, which in turn makes it difficult to commit to a preorder, sight unseen, despite the great reputations of all Chord products.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #670 of 25,934
I doubt the headphone would turn off your other outputs but mr watts would know. Regarding using both SE and bal at the same time again not best for sound in some applications
Unless the outputs are made to be completely separate like my msb stack is

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #671 of 25,934
For me, I think all audio system setup is a compromise between price, quality and convenience. To get a preamplifier with the transparency to be true to the Chord QBD76HDSD to drive the balanced output of my amplifier and the unbalanced output for the powered subwoofer, it would take up a lot of additional space and likely be very, very costly. I wish I have the financial resources or the space for the MSB stack. Currently for late night listening, I sit in a different room to listen via my Benchmark DAC1 or I move the Benchmark DAC1 to the living room and hook it up to the rest of my system which is definitely not convenient and a sonic compromise. I'm hoping DAVE would give a significant sonic upgrade with some added convenience.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #672 of 25,934
I am sure the DAVE is an upgrade all around for you with a benchmark comparison
I also feel
Less is more in most cases

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #673 of 25,934
DAVE ?    TotalDAC D1-Dual  ?    DAVE ?    TotalDAC D1-Dual ?     DAVE ?    TotalDAC D1-Dual  ?    DAVE ?    TotalDAC D1-Dual ? ..... 
confused.gif
   we have a tough hobby !

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #675 of 25,934
Dave seems great (excellent, even) from my limited audition, but does not displace my Lampizator Golden Gate from top spot in my books. DSD was always light years ahead of most other brands, but now with the Ladder Dac PCM, its game over for me….especially when I heard it being fed by AO win12 Server in core mode upocnverted to DSD256 and feeding Bughead Emperor playback software….reel to reel type of quality! Delicious!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back