CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 6, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #6,541 of 25,857
My initial excitement about the Blu CD mkII is somewhat dimmed by the following:

1) it's very existence tells us just how far along Rob is is in writing code for Davina(also expected to be out in 2017). In other words, wait another maybe 9 months and Davina is here. Also gives me more time to save for my preferred purchase.
2) while I currently have little interest in an ADC, there are many who do. Hobbyists who make needle drops of their vinyl (and also have Dave) would IMO make Davina a better bet for resale than the Blu CD mkII. And who knows, I may someday decide to get a turntable and software to do needle drops myself. On the other hand, I don't ever see myself routinely CDs again(acknowledging that folks who own a Blu CD mkII will undoubtedly choose to occasionally play a CD out of curiosity, to show a visitor as a demonstration or otherwise just because they can).
3)all CD transports, like spinning hard drives, eventually fail.
4)in the not too distant future CDs will go the way of the Dodo bird.
5)mostly #1

Esau

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #6,542 of 25,857
My initial excitement about the Blu CD mkII is somewhat dimmed by the following:

2) while I currently have little interest in an ADC, there are many who do. Hobbyists who make needle drops of their vinyl (and also have Dave) would IMO make Davina a better bet for resale than the Blu CD mkII. And who knows, I may someday decide to get a turntable and software to do needle drops myself. On the other hand, I don't ever see myself routinely CDs again(acknowledging that folks who own a Blu CD mkII will undoubtedly choose to occasionally play a CD out of curiosity, to show a visitor as a demonstration or otherwise just because they can).

Esau

As an obsessive tweaker of Computer Audio, I still find that for 44.1k recordings, a good CD drive can sound much better than many computer/server based sources.

It would be interesting to see how the sound of new Blu with CD matches that of 44.1k computer sources through its bnc input.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #6,543 of 25,857
As an obsessive tweaker of Computer Audio, I still find that for 44.1k recordings, a good CD drive can sound much better than many computer/server based sources.

It would be interesting to see how the sound of new Blu with CD matches that of 44.1k computer sources through its bnc input.
Totally agree with you.Anyone who reads this thread and other thread's on head fi and indeed on other sites know just how frustrating computer audio can be,should i use wav,should i use flac,why doesn't this work with my dac,and so on . music should be simple,just turn on and enjoy in a matter of seconds.Theirs to many formats in computer audio,it's just one big mess in my opinion,thank god for CD☺

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #6,545 of 25,857
  I at least want to give this cd player a chance.

Oi, get to the back of the queue!
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #6,548 of 25,857
So has it been determined that the Dave SE output sounds better than the Balanced Output ? Has anyone ran the Dave in DAC mode into a Balanced preamp and found this to be true ?

Is the SE superior to the bal ?

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #6,549 of 25,857
I run my DAVE in DAC mode into a balanced input of a balanced preamp. For a time I also ran it SE into a SE input, and was able to do A/B comparisons, though obviously I had to adjust levels. I found no discernible difference. Many have claimed that theoretically, the SE output is superior, but so far as I'm aware, no one has actually claimed to hear a difference.

I'm also struck by the number of CD proponents who've suddently come on stage, apparently hitherto just waiting in the wings when computers and USB was the only way to go :)

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #6,550 of 25,857
So has it been determined that the Dave SE output sounds better than the Balanced Output ? Has anyone ran the Dave in DAC mode into a Balanced preamp and found this to be true ?

I have tried Balanced and SE from Dave internal pre into Chord power amp and preferred Balanced on grounds of superior dynamics despite the SE being run on superior cables. Sound had little to differentiate. I only noticed a difference in the dynamics.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #6,552 of 25,857

It really depends on your amp setup. If your amp is a balanced amp, it means that it will take the SE signal to convert to a balanced one. So the question is whether the Dave, which is a SE DAC, does a better job of converting to balanced or whether your amp does a better job.

I mostly use single-ended tube amps so I just stick to SE all the way.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #6,553 of 25,857
Us Dave users may have missed out on another big Chord announcement which is the Poly.

It has got me thinking when mentioned elsewhere that the Poly is actually like a battery powered Microrendu. All is needed is a micro USB adapter cable into the Dave USB in. Given Rob Watts wizardry, I would bet that it would also give the microrendu a run for its money.

Please let's hope or lobby Chord not to 'lock' the USB protocol of Poly to the Mojo alone. If it does work with Dave, that would be absolutely amazing!

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #6,554 of 25,857
I have 5000 or so CD's so the new CD drive with my Dave is certainly interesting...mark me down as one who thinks CD's are the way to go rather than streaming and all it entails

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #6,555 of 25,857
Us Dave users may have missed out on another big Chord announcement which is the Poly.

It has got me thinking when mentioned elsewhere that the Poly is actually like a battery powered Microrendu. All is needed is a micro USB adapter cable into the Dave USB in. Given Rob Watts wizardry, I would bet that it would also give the microrendu a run for its money.

Please let's hope or lobby Chord not to 'lock' the USB protocol of Poly to the Mojo alone. If it does work with Dave, that would be absolutely amazing!

I assume it will work with other USB dac with an adapter, because Mojo's usb port is generic ...!

It's not locked to just Mojo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back