CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 5, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #5,596 of 25,898

I'm afraid this will be a bit of a disappointment for the both of you, but here is a picture of the remote control which came with my new DAVE just about a week ago:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6sZRnAa7uLibWRVYmJ6V1dHVHBWaVBGSmRYbTZSZEFVNjdV

Sorry I have to use a link for this, but I do not have sufficient rights to post pictures on this forum yet.

Peter.

Thanks for the info Peter. Think I'll see if I can get one. At least it will stop me being irritated by a rubbish plastic remote with loads of buttons that don't work as labelled.  Just about the only thing that annoys me about my DAVE is the inability to directly select an input from the remote. Actually, the other thing is that DAVE is sometimes unresponsive to the remote, especially to holding the volume buttons down - nothing happens to the volume. I have to tap out each increment/decrement to volume. Once DAVE starts responding to individual taps, then the repeat seems to work. It feels like DAVE is so intent on playing music that it forgets to pay attention to the remote! I've changed batteries, made sure I use it close - same issues. Can live with it, but would rather not.

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #5,597 of 25,898
I just spent a few minutes with my Harmony remote and created a device "DAVE " and programmed the Volume up / Volume down and it works awesome . I can go anywhere in the house and it will get a signal no line of sight needed . Im going to program the other needed commands later .
Also maybe Chord would email the HEX codes to make it more simple .

Also I use the App from harmony on my iPhone so I can use that as a remote also . If one wanted to just use a phone for control this is all you would need

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-harmony-home-hub-black/1483019.p?skuId=1483019&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=c69a9f67-6328-4074-a024-36b6b3cdfd5d&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg118849&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=CKjZy6mzktACFZSFaQodDAwIDw

Nov 5, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #5,598 of 25,898
At what volume level should you put the Dave at when using an external amplifier? Should it be at 0 db?
I presume you mean a headphone amp with analog volume control. I think most people just put Chord DAVE in DAC mode. According to the manual, that is actually equivalent to +3dB (3V unbalanced, 6V balanced) output. The problem is, some amplifiers can't handle such a high input voltage. I think that's why we see some people not put the DAVE in DAC mode and then reduce the output volume to 0dB or -3dB to optimize the performance of their DAVE with their favorite amplifier. The kicker that I haven't heard yet is that the analog volume control of most amplifiers are not perfect so there's actually an optimal volume for most volume controls. I used to own the Benchmark DAC1 and I can tell you that the analog pots sound best within a specific range. As a result I used to use digital volume control while leaving the analog volume control fixed on the Benchmark. If you can figure out where your amplifier has the best linearity and channel matching at which volume, i suspect the best sound would come from leaving the analog volume control on the amplifier fixed at that volume and then just set your listening volume using DAVE.

Actually DAC mode preset sets the DAVE to -3dB which is 3Vrms SE and 6Vrms XLR. To get closer to the more common 2Vrms SE and 4Vrms XLR set the volume in the pre-amp preset to -7dB. Some amps can't handle the 3Vrms/6Vrms input.

+3dB would be waaaaaay too much for the amps input.

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #5,601 of 25,898
Thanks for the info Peter. Think I'll see if I can get one. At least it will stop me being irritated by a rubbish plastic remote with loads of buttons that don't work as labelled.  Just about the only thing that annoys me about my DAVE is the inability to directly select an input from the remote. Actually, the other thing is that DAVE is sometimes unresponsive to the remote, especially to holding the volume buttons down - nothing happens to the volume. I have to tap out each increment/decrement to volume. Once DAVE starts responding to individual taps, then the repeat seems to work. It feels like DAVE is so intent on playing music that it forgets to pay attention to the remote! I've changed batteries, made sure I use it close - same issues. Can live with it, but would rather not.

Some have reported this happens on the Hugo TT too. Given the quality of the sound and the case work (and the price point!) Chords remotes leave a lot to be desired and appear out of place paired with such great items. Rob says transparency is key and recommends DAC direct to headphones or direct to power amps - the latter could easily be ruled out if their remotes remain this bad, which is a real problem.

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #5,602 of 25,898

The new one is also made of plastic. It isn't too bad, the DAVE responses quite good and the plastic is not totally "el cheapo".

About DAVE not responding to some commands, there can be an explanation. If you run it in DAC mode some commands are locked out. I ask a question about this to Chord and the answer of Colin Pratt from Chord was:

"
DAVE when in DAC mode has some of the functions locked out so as to avoid pressing certain functions.
When in DAC mode the remote allows for input selection, display choice and mute.
The thought process was that once set up (ie phase) you would not look to change certain settings.
"

Hope this is helpfull for some of you.

Peter.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #5,603 of 25,898
Just to wrap up, the settings on the Antipodes DX that worked are:
Connect DAVE to USB on 5V on the Antipods DX and select USB Input device 1 on the interface.
If you have any other issues please do not hesitate to let me know. But the antipodes support service on email: support@antipodes.global is sublime.

Btw, I had another question up my sleeve,

So far I have been using my previous Antipodes DX with DAVE for unbelivable HQ audio
This is where I feel the DAVE has revolutionized my way of experiencing audio - I also had a previous Audiophileo 2 with BNC connector that I am using with a short Wireworld Platinum USB cable to connect to a laptop to enjoy concerts put up on places like youtube. I don't feel like I am missing anything and I feel as if I am almost there on some of them.

Here is the sticky bit I needed advice on:
I want to connect my computer (bit far away) to the DAVE. Wondering what the cheapest way to do so would be without compromising SQ too much. Reason I would be happy with not the greatest sound is that I want to experiment watching movies as well as games through the DAVE. But really dont have those many funds to play with after buying the DAVE. Wondering what you guys can recommend to connect a PC, issue being it is a bit far away (approximately 3.5-5m) to one of the DAVE's non USB inputs. I dont have any gear left over and would basically need to buy it including the cable.

Kind Regards,
Thunder

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:02 AM Post #5,604 of 25,898
  About DAVE not responding to some commands, there can be an explanation. If you run it in DAC mode some commands are locked out. I ask a question about this to Chord and the answer of Colin Pratt from Chord was:

"
DAVE when in DAC mode has some of the functions locked out so as to avoid pressing certain functions.
When in DAC mode the remote allows for input selection, display choice and mute.
The thought process was that once set up (ie phase) you would not look to change certain settings."

So, the Chord team deliberately went out of their way to annoy their customers? By design?

Colin seems to have fundamentally misunderstood the point of the absolute phase switch. 
And other functions like the HF filter would be just as valid to be A/B'd by remote as by local change.

I think a more likely explanation is that Dave's menu scrolling solution is inherently unsuitable for remote control (I may have already mentioned that already
smile.gif
). And the Chord team ran out of time and inspiration to enhance the design - so they simply disabled the bits that were difficult.

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #5,605 of 25,898
Why not just use the pre-amp preset? It's the same audio path and you can access the desired functions and adjust the digital volume control to output a more reasonable Voltage to an amp.

That said, I agree about the remote and it's ease of use and aesthetics.

Nov 6, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #5,606 of 25,898

The new one is also made of plastic. It isn't too bad, the DAVE responses quite good and the plastic is not totally "el cheapo".

"
The thought process was that once set up (ie phase) you would not look to change certain settings.
"

Hope this is helpfull for some of you.

Peter.

Thanks Peter - as it happens I use my DAVE in pre-amp mode directly into active speakers, so the DAC mode explanation/excuse for the unresponsive buttons doesn't apply to me. My issue is that sometimes the DAVE doesn't seem to want to respond to the volume control, particularly if it is held down while music is playing. And there is no way of directly selecting an input. Scrolling isn't much use if you don't know what input is currently selected, and if you have a display mode that turns the display off, there is in any case no way of knowing what input is selected (even if you could see the display - it might be behind you, or on the other side of the room.) So all in all the remote is disappointing. I can live with it. The new one looks pants too, so I might hunt around to see if I can find a simple "one for all" type control with some nice big buttons, and fewer useless keys.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #5,608 of 25,898
I have been listening to Dylan's Highway 61 with my Dave and Utopia and in particular on Tombstone Blues i was shocked to hear for the first time Michael Bloomfield's guitar standing out to my ears and his savage solos isolated.....the beauty of the Dave is literally rediscovering your music as if you were listening to it for the first time...and owning some 5000 albums I have a lot of rediscovering to do...!

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #5,609 of 25,898
Since matching up Dave with the exceptionally fast, accurate and detailed ribbon tweeter of my Piega Coax I have been looking for a recording to showcase Dave's ability to cast a deep believable sound stage and have now found something which I believe does this Dac justice in this aspect of its impressive abilities. The recording took place in 1980 at Merton College Chapel Oxford and was performed by The Tallis Scholars under the direction of Peter Phillips. It is a Gimmel recording of 'Allegri Miserere'. The recording engineer Bob Auger must have gotten the phase of this recording bang on because it is spookilly believable (as a sound space) particularly when the near field choir go silent and the choir at the back of the chapel sings. You are left in no doubt that Dave really can reproduce authentic sound spaces. I have the 2005 mastering and, as I say, it is a real show stopper for Dave.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #5,610 of 25,898
Since matching up Dave with the exceptionally fast, accurate and detailed ribbon tweeter of my Piega Coax I have been looking for a recording to showcase Dave's ability to cast a deep believable sound stages and have now found something which I believe does this Dac justice in this aspect of its impressive abilities. The recording took place in 1980 at Merton College Chapel Oxford and was performed by The Tallis Scholars under the direction of Peter Phillips. It is a Gimmel recording of 'Allegri Miserere'. The recording engineer Bob Auger must have gotten the phase of this recording bang on because it is spookilly believable (as a sound space) particularly when the near field choir go silent and the choir at the back of the chapel sings. You are left in no doubt that Dave really can reproduce authentic sound spaces. I have the 2005 mastering and, as I say, it is a real show stopper for Dave.

Maybe part of the magic is due to the performance being well recorded.

There are several versions of this performance available, and I have a copy of the pureaudio release  https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00GIXR4XE  ,  because that contains the CD version, plus a bluray with HiRes versions in both stereo and 5.1.
It must have been miked to make 5.1 possible, and then mixed down to the stereo version that you are listening to via DAVE.

Now imagine a version of DAVE that could handle 5.1 recordings.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back