CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 3, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #376 of 25,852
  Hi, I'm a native Japanese living in Tokyo.

So I think I can give some of the key points from his review as follows.
Hope this helps you a bit!

====================
The sound
 - 1. The sound stage width and depth, clearness are significant.
 - 2. The musics from Dave are more dynamic compared with Hugo TT. The musics are very emotional.
 - 3. The sound resolution is much more improved. All of the sound details in the recording are presented at once.
 - 4. The sound is vivid, live and youthful. The sound is direct but very smooth at the same time.
 - 5. The sound is truly sharp like Katana blade.
 - Lastly, the dnyamic range is clealy more expanded.
For the headphone out, the sound from my HD650 Dmaa (recabled version with Oktavia) was exactly similar to the sound from TAD CE1 speakers using Chord poweramp.
If Dave is priced as over \3,000,000 ($25,000), I would say Nagra HD DAC + MPS is better, but the actual Dave price is just \1,500,000 ($12,500) and also we will need no pre-amplifier. So I would say that this DAC is overly low-priced. The satisfaction is too high for the price.

can you tell us more about Dave compared to Nagra Hd ? , how he compare them to each other  ? what he said about the sound of nagra Hd ? which one was better regardless of the price ?
did he compare dave to other dac ? also did he like the amp on dave  ?
Thanks for you help

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #377 of 25,852
Hi, I'm a native Japanese living in Tokyo.

So I think I can give some of the key points from his review as follows.
Hope this helps you a bit!

====================
The sound
 - 1. The sound stage width and depth, clearness are significant.

- 2. The musics from Dave are more dynamic compared with Hugo TT. The musics are very emotional.

- 3. The sound resolution is much more improved. All of the sound details in the recording are presented at once.

- 4. The sound is vivid, live and youthful. The sound is direct but very smooth at the same time.

- 5. The sound is truly sharp like Katana blade.

- Lastly, the dnyamic range is clealy more expanded.
For the headphone out, the sound from my HD650 Dmaa (recabled version with Oktavia) was exactly similar to the sound from TAD CE1 speakers using Chord poweramp.
If Dave is priced as over \3,000,000 ($25,000), I would say Nagra HD DAC + MPS is better, but the actual Dave price is just \1,500,000 ($12,500) and also we will need no pre-amplifier. So I would say that this DAC is overly low-priced. The satisfaction is too high for the price.

Interesting news!

So the Nagra HD dac are better but he did also make a comparison with DAVE to the DCS Vivaldi stack, what was his impressions here?

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #378 of 25,852
It's interesting to look at the workings of Nagra HD DAC

From HiFi+ review:

"The audiophile intent begins after these balancing operations, however. As suggested previously, the company went right back to first principles. Nagra sees the quantization noise of 16‑bit/44.1kHz digital audio, and the methods used to quell that noise, as one of the big problems of the CD age. Crude brickwall filters that block out any noise above 22.1kHz can undermine phase above 10kHz, the company suggests, while conventional oversampling and interpolation methods are a cure that Nagra believes is often worse than the disease.

Nagra instead concentrated on the goals of getting the extraction and converting of data absolutely right, without resorting to ‘cheating’ (oversampling). Ultimately, this led to Direct Stream Digital, and Nagra (in association with DSD pioneer Andreas Koch) developed its own Sigma‑Delta DSD processing, on a custom 72‑bit Field Programmable Gate Array. Add to that a custom time-correction algorithm, in place of the usual demands for atomic clocks at this grade, to keep this DAC temporally precise, and the result is the removal of that quantization noise up to so far beyond the audio band, its impact is effectively completely eliminated."

Nagra avoided super clocks, used FPGA, special algorithm for time correction.".........remind you of any other DACs?

It converts everything to DSD though. I would be surprised if it will match DAVE for musicality.

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #379 of 25,852
Very interesting read Rob, even if im not an engineer i can understand the negs and the pros in each different DAC technology, with your fine explanation.

So to my noby questions:

So puls array are more resistant than a "Femto clock specced r2r clock is your conclution though you mesaurments, but how can i feel that the noise floor got lower when i conected the MSB Analog vs my Hugo, or is it just a illusion and i hear the more sharp sound signatur of the "femto" clock ?

So the puls array are very jitter resistant, but do you have the measured jitter specs of the QBD76 / Hugo / DAVE, that you can share with us, becaus its a jungle of diffrent USB / S/pdif recklocking devices that you can connect before the dac and have a claimed improvment to the sound.

But if you show us that it is no mening with does kind of products combined with Chord products we are glad to save the money for better purposes.

/ Fredrik

Pulse Array is a constant switching scheme - that is it always switches at exactly the same rate irrespective of the data, unlike DSD, R2R, or current source DAC's. This means that errors due to switching activity and jitter are not signal dependent, and so is innately immune from jitter creating distortion and noise floor modulation and any other signal related errors. The only other DAC that is constant switching activity is switched capacitor topology, but this has gain proportionate to absolute clock frequency - so it still has clock problems.

I plan to publish more detailed analysis of this, but from memory all of my DAC's have a negligible 0.5dB degradation due to master clock jitter, so its a non issue.

As to USB purifiers, for Dave, Hugo TT, 2 Qute don't bother as they are galvanically isolated. But in this case it's absolutely nothing due to jitter - its about RF noise and signal correlated noise upsetting Hugo.'s analogue electronics,not due to jitter as source jitter is eliminated by the internal buffer and DPLL.

Rob

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #380 of 25,852
Pulse Array is a constant switching scheme - that is it always switches at exactly the same rate irrespective of the data, unlike DSD, R2R, or current source DAC's. This means that errors due to switching activity and jitter are not signal dependent, and so is innately immune from jitter creating distortion and noise floor modulation and any other signal related errors. The only other DAC that is constant switching activity is switched capacitor topology, but this has gain proportionate to absolute clock frequency - so it still has clock problems.

I plan to publish more detailed analysis of this, but from memory all of my DAC's have a negligible 0.5dB degradation due to master clock jitter, so its a non issue.

As to USB purifiers, for Dave, Hugo TT, 2 Qute don't bother as they are galvanically isolated. But in this case it's absolutely nothing due to jitter - its about RF noise and signal correlated noise upsetting Hugo.'s analogue electronics,not due to jitter as source jitter is eliminated by the internal buffer and DPLL.

Rob

Nice info Rob!

I also connected a Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Reclocker last night btw my streamer connected with coax in and coax out to the Hugo, and the sound was remarkable better, so with the help of a extra reclocking device it is possible to achieve even better performance from the Hugo is my conclusion.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/wyred-4-sound/28450-wyred-4-sound-remedy-review.html

/Fredrik

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #381 of 25,852
OK GUY
If the company are considering moving the goalposts on price with DAVE I think it would be a mistake to do so commercially. HUGO was the commercial success it was because such top notch technology was sold at a groundbreaking price point. It attracted a whole new generation of Chord buyers. Those buyers now view Chord as a leading producer of state of the art products. How many doors does that open to other chord products over time? I have been a professional business investor and analyst for more than 2 decades and imo it never pays to push the price too far on a ground breaking product. In doing so it misses a unique opportunity to raise your profile. The E-Type Jag was a legend because it was delivered by Jaguar at a price point that attracted a much wider audience.

I sense that Chord is on a roll right now and that is because of the quality of the tech but it is also because with HUGO they became an aggressive pricer of their product. The commercial power of such a strategy in my opinion should never be underestimated. At the same time it is making you strong financially, it is also making your competitors weak because you are taking a chunk of their revenue too. The knock on effect of this strategy is that it affects the limits of your competitors future R&D budget.

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #382 of 25,852
OK GUY
If the company are considering moving the goalposts on price with DAVE I think it would be a mistake to do so commercially.

Just to be even-handed about this: No one has actually said the goalposts will move...  
wink.gif

But that is not to say that I disagree with your sentiment (unless the price went downwards, LOL).

Ironically, the Hugo did witness a post-release price-change in the UK, to the detriment of UK customers and benefit of US dealers, but that's purely a coincidence, in light of your mentioning the Hugo in the above conversation.

Although I understand US customers' eager anticipation of the DAVE, I don't feel it is particularly constructive for anyone to speculate about final pricing of the DAVE, in the USA, at this stage. What will be will be, and agitated &/or pessimistic speculation at this stage serves no constructive purpose for anyone.     That's nothing personal to anyone here; it's simply being pragmatic.

Oct 3, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #383 of 25,852
As previously confirmed by Chord dealers themselves some US customers have already placed orders for DAVE which have been accepted, so it's not at all premature nor speculative for the price to have been set and for any inquiring customers to be given that price. It has also been reported that the back order expectation for orders placed now is currently running at about two months until delivery, which is another reason that the price should be shared so that potential customers can consider placing their orders to get into the queue. Are we just supposed to issue them a blank check with the amount to be filled in once this mystical price is determined? The current situation with their own dealers quoting a wide range of prices seems particularly unreasonable and quite speculative to me.

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #384 of 25,852
I do not work for Chord directly I just help JF out on the forum, I do not have access to Distributors or Dealers as that is not part of my remit... my reply about cost in USA was to Sonic77, I do not know the US retail price of DAVE so have asked people to contact 'Bluebird Music', Chord's US-Distributor. Failing that I would suggest putting £8k into a currency-converter which will give you the grand total of $12,144.80, hope that clears any confusion.

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #385 of 25,852
I am in Jakarta with John Franks at the moment and he has confirmed some things.

The price of Dave was announced in May at Munich at £7,995. It has not changed, and will be UK retail of £7,995. Production is under way and on schedule, so Dave will be released later this month. Now Chord have no direct power in controlling prices in other markets, so please contact your local distributor for local pricing.

Rob 

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #387 of 25,852
Thank you for that welcome clarification Rob. Much appreciated

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #388 of 25,852
  ....  Chord have no direct power in controlling prices in other markets, so please contact your local distributor for local pricing.

Exactly.

Which is why a small minority of unscrupulous dealers (not just those selling Chord products) may try to push their luck by profiteering during the short period leading up to, and following, release, when demand may initially outstrip supply.

It's unpleasant behaviour, but that's free market economics for ya! <SHRUG>

My antidote to that would be to be patient, sit tight and wait for supply to catch up with demand, at which point, pricing is likely to stabilise.

How's the show going, in Jakarta, Rob? Is it standing room only in the Chord room? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #389 of 25,852
It's interesting to look at the workings of Nagra HD DAC

From HiFi+ review:

"The audiophile intent begins after these balancing operations, however. As suggested previously, the company went right back to first principles. Nagra sees the quantization noise of 16‑bit/44.1kHz digital audio, and the methods used to quell that noise, as one of the big problems of the CD age. Crude brickwall filters that block out any noise above 22.1kHz can undermine phase above 10kHz, the company suggests, while conventional oversampling and interpolation methods are a cure that Nagra believes is often worse than the disease.

Nagra instead concentrated on the goals of getting the extraction and converting of data absolutely right, without resorting to ‘cheating’ (oversampling). Ultimately, this led to Direct Stream Digital, and Nagra (in association with DSD pioneer Andreas Koch) developed its own Sigma‑Delta DSD processing, on a custom 72‑bit Field Programmable Gate Array. Add to that a custom time-correction algorithm, in place of the usual demands for atomic clocks at this grade, to keep this DAC temporally precise, and the result is the removal of that quantization noise up to so far beyond the audio band, its impact is effectively completely eliminated."

Nagra avoided super clocks, used FPGA, special algorithm for time correction.".........remind you of any other DACs?

It converts everything to DSD though. I would be surprised if it will match DAVE for musicality.

Sorry, but I don't usually comment of other companies products, but the statement that this reminds you of other DAC's (Dave) really raised my blood pressure.

Lets look at each statement in turn:

"Nagra sees the quantization noise of 16‑bit/44.1kHz digital audio, and the methods used to quell that noise"

There is absolutely no problem with quantization noise, if correctly done, as it adds a fixed unvarying noise. Because it is unvarying, it has no consequence on the brains ability to separate instruments, define placement in the sound stage, determine timbre and transients and so has no effect on musicality (that is the ability to enjoy music emotionally).

The scary thing is the statement "methods use to quell that noise". What on earth does that mean? The dither is part of the recording, and applied in the analogue domain, so it is the actual signal you want to reproduce. Nobody quells that noise, as how do you separate it from the intended signal?

"Crude brickwall filters that block out any noise above 22.1kHz can undermine phase above 10kHz"
A brickwall filter is an FIR symmetric filter and these are guaranteed to be linear phase, so this statement is just plain wrong.

"while conventional oversampling and interpolation methods are a cure that Nagra believes is often worse than the disease."
What are they saying here? NOS? That topology creates enormous timing errors, and that is the complete opposite with what I do.

"Nagra instead concentrated on the goals of getting the extraction and converting of data absolutely right, without resorting to ‘cheating’ (oversampling)."
Again completely diametrically opposed to what I say. The job of a DAC is NOT to reproduce the digital data, but to reproduce the analogue bandwidth limited signal at the point it is sampled in the ADC. To perfectly create the analogue signal in the digital domain requires infinite oversampling. This is also the only way to reduce jitter sensitivity, and eliminate noise floor modulation, an effect for which the brain is extremely sensitive to. You absolutely can't refer to oversampling as cheating, as it gets the signal much closer to the original analogue signal. But of course, if your intention is to create distortion and noise, then by all means refer to oversampling as cheating, as it won't allow you to achieve your goal of more distortion and noise floor modulation.

"Add to that a custom time-correction algorithm, in place of the usual demands for atomic clocks at this grade, to keep this DAC temporally precise"
Confusing two separate and independent things. The interpolation filter algorithm (if that's what they are talking about) can not change the requirements for the master clock, which depends principally upon the DAC topology. 

"and the result is the removal of that quantization noise up to so far beyond the audio band, its impact is effectively completely eliminated"
The quantization noise of 16‑bit/44.1kHz digital audio? That won't get touched at all by any such process. Are they talking about the quantization noise from the noise shaper? In which case don't use DSD, oversample at high rates, and run the noise shaper with n bit quantizer also at high rates (like my 2048 FS). DSD at 128 FS creates vast amounts of out of band noise with typically -20dB down at 200 kHz. You can never refer to noise at 200 kHz at -20dB as "its impact is effectively completely eliminated."

And yes, my previous posting recently confirmed that it was impossible to properly reproduce depth using DSD, as the noise shaper resolution is inadequate. Dave has noise shapers with a trillion times more resolution than traditional DSD noise shapers.

So no, this DAC bears absolutely no similarity with my work - it may have FPGA's, and not use atomic clocks, but that's the only similarity.

Rob

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #390 of 25,852
You heard the suggested retail price and the price given to me, buyer beware of unscrupulous sellers trying to gouge their customers. Hopefully the honest seller will be known so that we can purchase from them. I'm in southern California so I'll let you figure out who the price gouger is on your own if you want. Even used the "Last one" sales tactic, that stuff doesn't work on this Jedi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back