CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 18, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #3,677 of 25,863
  Macbook Pro

Thanks.

I should have included the criteria that I would prefer a windows solution.
Both my existing laptop and PC are already windows based, so I don't want to have to learn another operating system if I can help it. 
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #3,678 of 25,863

Thanks.

I should have included the criteria that I would prefer a windows solution.
Both my existing laptop and PC are already windows based, so I don't want to have to learn another operating system if I can help it. 
wink.gif

The best Windows laptop I ever owned, back when I still used Windows for my personal systems, was a Mac Book Pro.

It runs fine on it, either dual-booted, via virtualization or even as the sole OS.

An expensive solution, compared to the myriad cheaply made pure-Windows laptops available for sure, but it'll run Windows just fine.

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #3,679 of 25,863
  Yes all sources create RF noise....

But if you run the source from batteries, and have no ground connected to the lap-top, then there are no net currents flowing into Dave, ...

Rob

Rob, thanks for your answer. If the power supply on your laptop is only 2 pin, ie it is not connected to ground, does that mean that it shouldn't make any difference whether the laptop is run from the power supply or from batteries, because there is no ground connection in either case?  

Jul 18, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #3,680 of 25,863
Rob, thanks for your answer. If the power supply on your laptop is only 2 pin, ie it is not connected to ground, does that mean that it shouldn't make any difference whether the laptop is run from the power supply or from batteries, because there is no ground connection in either case?  

I do not have any grounding issues, because of the department i live in is built 1880 , so we do not have any grounding in the building at all :wink:

So it should not be any difference if i run with or without battery on my laptop then.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #3,684 of 25,863

No even if ground is not connected, the ground loop becomes the mains loop - so coupling is via the neutral wire on PSU on lap-top and PSU on Dave. So there is no benefit by having no ground connection. And an isolation transformer has a lot of coupling capacitance so that won't solve it either.

Rob 

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #3,686 of 25,863
  No even if ground is not connected, the ground loop becomes the mains loop - so coupling is via the neutral wire on PSU on lap-top and PSU on Dave. So there is no benefit by having no ground connection. And an isolation transformer has a lot of coupling capacitance so that won't solve it either.

Rob 

Thanks Rob. Is it enough to turn my laptop off at the mains, or does it need to be physically disconnected to avoid potential RF issues?

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #3,689 of 25,863
consider yourself rather fortunate that the brain behind revolutionary products like Hugo, mojo and dave is himself answering and attending the queries so regularly. nobody other does that as far as I know. I termed these products revolutionary because in future you may see the technology trickling to other products like TVs , ht systems and much more. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back