CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 16, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #3,361 of 25,885
Hi i think im the only one who have compared a 1000 houers DAVE to a new one with 1 houers break in as i have already posted a couple of pages back, but i do not think so many did read it, because it was not any reaction at all !???!!??

But the result was with my bat hearing not a Single difference at all!!

Totally dead race btw the old DAVE and New DAVE, after a few hours / days of comparing.

So it is our brains of some of us that do the break in, not my brain, but for some.

For what it's worth, I didn't really hear much, if any, change when I auditioned a DAVE a few months back and put over 200 hours on it. My new DAVE probably has 80-100 hours on it, and I haven't noticed any differences. To my ears, it sounded fabulous after half an hour and that impression has not changed. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,362 of 25,885
Our brains trick us every second =)

I have not ever believed in burn in, just a good warm up for 1-3 hours is my recipe of most of my things i own, because i have dun extensive testing and could not note the great burn in holy grail from my memory or my notes i have dun during the evaluation ever.

I i got sharp hearing and good testing components:wink:

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #3,363 of 25,885
Our brains trick us every second =)

I have not ever believed in burn in, just a good warm up for 1-3 hours is my recipe of most of my things i own, because i have dun extensive testing and could not note the great burn in holy grail from my memory or my notes i have dun during the evaluation ever.

I i got sharp hearing and good testing components:wink:

Well, I have to say my experience with burn-in is that it is very real with certain components, and I am 100% confident that I'm not confusing brain burn-in with the real thing. One example:  my Ayre QB9 DAC, when originally purchased in 2009, sounded pretty awful for the first 50-60 hours and just meh for another 50-60 hours. It kept evolving well past 200 hours. That did not surprise anyone from Ayre. With DAVE, I knew immediately (within the first minute or two after I had adjusted my settings in Roon correctly) that this was the best digital I'd ever heard in my system, and not by a small margin. And this was an absolutely brand new machine unpacked for the first time since it had left Kent. 

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #3,364 of 25,885
Hi i think im the only one who have compared a 1000 houers DAVE to a new one with 1 houers break in as i have already posted a couple of pages back, but i do not think so many did read it, because it was not any reaction at all !???!!??

Totally dead race btw the old DAVE and New DAVE, after a few hours / days of comparing.

So it is our brains of some of us that do the break in, not my brain, but for some.

Yes I would be very surprised if Dave did have any significant break in, but brain break in is very real - to me at least.

But break in can be a major hardware issue. In the 1980's my products did suffer from break in, and in the early 90's my DAC's (PDM or DSD DAC's not pulse array) were very variable.

This can be caused by a number of issues:

1. Distortion varying with temperature. The most obvious way is output stage bias currents drifting with temperature, but there are a host of other effects too.

2. Electrolytic capacitors - these have significant break-in with impedance, linearity, and leakage current varying with time - they often need 90 days on to maximise performance.

3. RF noise - this can vary with time too, and in particular can give the effect of ones system varying in SQ over time. In the early 80's my system only sounded at its best at 2AM with the lights out. Once I understood the problems of RF noise and eliminated the issue then SQ got a lot better and it became consistent - it did not matter what time of day, it sounded at its best.

With DAC's there are a host of issues to contend with, and there is a very strong link with consistency of measured performance and SQ. In the early 90's, the DSD DAC's I was making at the time were a nightmare from a consistency point of view. Each one measured a bit differently, each one sounded slightly different. That's why I got into designing my own DAC technology, as the only way of solving these issues was to take control over every element within a DAC and to apply solutions that would eliminate these issues. So for example - normal chip DAC's have a reference voltage pin that you have to decouple with an electrolytic to get low noise. The reference circuitry is built inside the chip, so you can't solve this issue. But if you use a discrete DAC, you can design your own reference circuitry that innately has insignificant noise, so then you do not need an electrolytic to decouple something that is not really good enough in the first place.

I was actually chatting to Matt (production director Chord) about the issue of Dave having such low THD and noise - and the THD and noise at 2.5v RMS OP was -127.3 dB and -127.5 dB for the two DAC's, and every Dave they measure is exactly the same. Moreover, it does not matter if its cold or hot, old or new, with horrible noisy jittery sources, it always measures the same. And each one sounds the same when it goes through their listening tests.

So yes break in can be a very real problem. But when it happens, it supplies a very real opportunity for the designer - if you can find out what the issue is, then you can work on fundamentally to eliminate it - then you end up with even better sound quality, and no break in or inconsistency too.

Rob

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #3,365 of 25,885
  The signal chain is quiet simple. Home computer as Roon core via NAS > microRendu > JCat USB-cable > Dave > HD800 (with SD mod).

I will keep you informed how the MCRU sounds. It comes with a silver cable-mod and a fuse-mod.

I'm interested with the MRCU too, much cheaper than the Signature Series Power Supply  , do you think they are comparable and would benefit to Dave? 

Jun 17, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #3,366 of 25,885

I'm interested with the MRCU too, much cheaper than the Signature Series Power Supply  , do you think they are comparable and would benefit to Dave? 

I hope the MRCU will come next week. I will report after some burn in.

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #3,367 of 25,885

Beolab, apologies, I read your post with very much interest but was waiting for Rob's final confirmation on the subject...

I trust your bat hearing and also feel that you're right as I experienced no break-in with my Hugo. I will test my Dave once it arrives also.

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #3,368 of 25,885
Beolab, apologies, I read your post with very much interest but was waiting for Rob's final confirmation on the subject...

I trust your bat hearing and also feel that you're right as I experienced no break-in with my Hugo. I will test my Dave once it arrives also.

Its good to know that the industry standard are high , and they all sound equal.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #3,369 of 25,885
  Yes I would be very surprised if Dave did have any significant break in, but brain break in is very real - to me at least.

But break in can be a major hardware issue. In the 1980's my products did suffer from break in, and in the early 90's my DAC's (PDM or DSD DAC's not pulse array) were very variable.

This can be caused by a number of issues:

1. Distortion varying with temperature. The most obvious way is output stage bias currents drifting with temperature, but there are a host of other effects too.

2. Electrolytic capacitors - these have significant break-in with impedance, linearity, and leakage current varying with time - they often need 90 days on to maximise performance.

3. RF noise - this can vary with time too, and in particular can give the effect of ones system varying in SQ over time. In the early 80's my system only sounded at its best at 2AM with the lights out. Once I understood the problems of RF noise and eliminated the issue then SQ got a lot better and it became consistent - it did not matter what time of day, it sounded at its best.

With DAC's there are a host of issues to contend with, and there is a very strong link with consistency of measured performance and SQ. In the early 90's, the DSD DAC's I was making at the time were a nightmare from a consistency point of view. Each one measured a bit differently, each one sounded slightly different. That's why I got into designing my own DAC technology, as the only way of solving these issues was to take control over every element within a DAC and to apply solutions that would eliminate these issues. So for example - normal chip DAC's have a reference voltage pin that you have to decouple with an electrolytic to get low noise. The reference circuitry is built inside the chip, so you can't solve this issue. But if you use a discrete DAC, you can design your own reference circuitry that innately has insignificant noise, so then you do not need an electrolytic to decouple something that is not really good enough in the first place.

I was actually chatting to Matt (production director Chord) about the issue of Dave having such low THD and noise - and the THD and noise at 2.5v RMS OP was -127.3 dB and -127.5 dB for the two DAC's, and every Dave they measure is exactly the same. Moreover, it does not matter if its cold or hot, old or new, with horrible noisy jittery sources, it always measures the same. And each one sounds the same when it goes through their listening tests.

So yes break in can be a very real problem. But when it happens, it supplies a very real opportunity for the designer - if you can find out what the issue is, then you can work on fundamentally to eliminate it - then you end up with even better sound quality, and no break in or inconsistency too.

Rob

Yes some components, and especially some audio grade caps, can take very long time before sounding their best.

Do DAVE have any caps in the audio signal chain? 

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #3,370 of 25,885

Yes some components, and especially some audio grade caps, can take very long time before sounding their best.

biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #3,371 of 25,885

There are no coupling caps at all, it is all DC coupled.

To maintain DC offset to under 100uV at the OP, a digital DC servo is used. This is filtered digitally, so no possibility of servo distortion can upset the SQ. Indeed, there is no change in SQ when the digital DC servo is switched out completely.

There are some filter caps in the signal path, but these are very small value polypropylene and do not break in - they have zero voltage coefficient of C, and very temperature stable.

Rob

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #3,372 of 25,885
  There are no coupling caps at all, it is all DC coupled.

To maintain DC offset to under 100uV at the OP, a digital DC servo is used. This is filtered digitally, so no possibility of servo distortion can upset the SQ. Indeed, there is no change in SQ when the digital DC servo is switched out completely.

There are some filter caps in the signal path, but these are very small value polypropylene and do not break in - they have zero voltage coefficient of C, and very temperature stable.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I find it very interesting that DC coupled caps are thought by you and some others to be less in the way (less coloration) than coupling caps. If I haven’t misunderstood you will say. Maybe stupid question to ask you, but do you know why so many well-known manufactures still use coupled caps? I mean some put in caps that cost thousands of dollar to reduce the negative impact they have. Is it because DAVE has a digital preamp that allow you to use DC coupled caps in the signal path instead of coupled caps, or other reasons?     

If caps are as big limitation in SQ as I interpret that it can have, it may have a lot to do why so many here, that have heard it, like it so much. I have not heard the DAVE myself yet. I’m afraid to hear it before I have the found to buy it
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #3,373 of 25,885
Really sorry if this has been covered in previous posts (I searched and couldn't find much) but can anyone provide a comparison of the DAVE to the PS Audio Directstream DAC. I'm considering a new DAC and would like to select one with the best possible quality for headphones (and for loudspeakers later). I have other great headphone amps, so that element is not up for consideration. I play 24/192 FLAC and DSD mostly within my library.

Appreciate any experienced opinions.

Thanks,
Derek

Jun 17, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #3,374 of 25,885
  Really sorry if this has been covered in previous posts (I searched and couldn't find much) but can anyone provide a comparison of the DAVE to the PS Audio Directstream DAC. I'm considering a new DAC and would like to select one with the best possible quality for headphones (and for loudspeakers later). I have other great headphone amps, so that element is not up for consideration. I play 24/192 FLAC and DSD mostly within my library.

Appreciate any experienced opinions.

Thanks,
Derek

Out of interest, what draws you the Directstream?  

I only ask becuase it's a DAC that would never make my short list (personally). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back