CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 2, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #3,241 of 25,834
With Magnepan 20.7, Dave's treble is one of the best I've heard, tons of micro dynamics with excellent transparency and extension. I wouldn't say that Dave is either forward or laid back, it just reproduces a truthful rendition of the software and source equipment performance. I am testing a modified Oppo 103D with DSD (DoP) output with a lot of chassis damping, the music sounded laid back and dull which seemed like having all the air sucked out. Removing all the damping material, the air came back with much better timbre and transients. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #3,242 of 25,834

Loaner. Only took one minute of listening with HD800s before I started looking around and adding up how much of my gear I could sell to buy one. I think I'd have to sell my car.

Of course, now I have to find a way to describe the experience. I might have paraphrase a Clarkson Top Gear quote when was driving a Lotus track car that was too much for him: I've heard DACs with this much detail before, and I've heard DACs that sounded this natural before, and I've experienced gear with dynamics like this before, but not all of them, all at once. It feels like a kind of sensory overload.

Hi,

You run in SE mode? or balance out from amp?

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #3,243 of 25,834
Rob makes an important point. The sound of live music is often very different. I've listened to quite a bit: orchestral, chamber music, jazz ensembles, blues bands, even the occasional arena gig, and at some venues with wonderful acoustics, like the Wigmore Hall in London and Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. From time to time I'll close my eyes and compare what I hear to hi-if. Almost invariably, the sound is a lot darker – as if suspended on a cushion of air - but with the attack and shimmer Rob mentions, and no glare: that sheen that seems to hang over a lot of reproduced music.

I've found that glare absent from the Dave. It sounds close to real music. I've had my unit for about two weeks now (using balanced out), and there have been noticeable improvements over that period. It will be interesting to hear how Rob gets on with his new unit.

Jun 2, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #3,244 of 25,834
  Hi,

You run in SE mode? or balance out from amp?

Neither. I'm using HD800s from the headphone socket.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #3,245 of 25,834

If you are ever fortunate enough to get a good seat at a classical (unamplified) concert you will know what I mean - real life can sound ultra smooth, and ultra fast and sharp at the same time. I want my audio to have that range of variation - that's my goal anyway.

Rob makes an important point. The sound of live music is often very different. I've listened to quite a bit: orchestral, chamber music, jazz ensembles, blues bands, even the occasional arena gig, and at some venues with wonderful acoustics, like the Wigmore Hall in London and Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. From time to time I'll close my eyes and compare what I hear to hi-if. Almost invariably, the sound is a lot darker – as if suspended on a cushion of air - but with the attack and shimmer Rob mentions, and no glare: that sheen that seems to hang over a lot of reproduced music.

I attended an open rehearsal of the Seattle Symphony last night. The entire rehearsal (almost two full hours) was devoted to Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms, a true 20th century masterpiece. It was a real working rehearsal, with lots of work by conductor Ludovic Morlot on small ensembles in the orchestra. About midway through, they were joined by the Northwest Boychoir and the men's portion of the Seattle Symphony Chorale. The last half hour was a dress rehearsal of the piece for this weekend's concerts. I sat in several different seats in Benaroya Hall, one of the finest concert halls you will ever experience. By the way, a good crowd showed up for the rehearsal -- I'm guessing maybe 800 people. 

Both Rob and Crgreen are correct. Live orchestral/choral music can sound super smooth at times. If you were listening to your stereo, you might wonder if transients were being rounded off. But then you hear a woodwind passage that is just so crystal clear in all dimensions, or a trumpet that cuts through the air with real bite, and you wonder no longer. Crgreen mentions a "cushion of air." That describes exactly what I often hear, like sound floating on air through the hall, a sense of air and space that no hi-fi can ever quite reproduce with the same physical feeling. Completely lacking is the artificial glare that one can perceive with digital sound. Instead, real sound in a great hall can be a little "dark" but still retain sparkle and treble detail.

Regarding DAVE's treble performance, I'm going to be shortly reacquainted with it as my new DAVE arrived last night (just before heading out to the rehearsal). But my memory of it is that is a more listenable treble than I've heard from any other dac, retaining sparkle and incisiveness without adding glare. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #3,246 of 25,834
I know a lot of people here are Abyss/DAVE owners (I'm one of them) but the HD800's out of the DAVE are incredible!!  They are a headphone that I find to be excessively tricky to drive well and make 'sound nice' but WOW.  

The DAVE just continues to impress.  More so, the more I throw at it.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #3,247 of 25,834
  I know a lot of people here are Abyss/DAVE owners (I'm one of them) but the HD800's out of the DAVE are incredible!!  They are a headphone that I find to be excessively tricky to drive well and make 'sound nice' but WOW.  

What do you like with your HD800 + DAVE as compared with Abyss + DAVE?
cloth v leather
slim v boxy
bass
vocals
stereo imaging

paul

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #3,248 of 25,834

Seem like all people happy to run with headphone out? I wanted to get Super conductor for my Abyss, just trying to find out so i can decide which termination.. balance or 6.35mm headphone jack so i can directly plug to Dave, i know i will lost the flexibility with inter connect cable. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #3,249 of 25,834
Silver DAVE doesn't seem to get any love around here! For the record, mine is silver because that's what my dealer had in stock. There actually was a buyer ahead of me in the queue but he was holding out for DAVE in black. This fact saved me who knows how many weeks of waiting, so it's all good. As Keith sings, "You Got the Silver" LOL!

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #3,250 of 25,834
Silver DAVE doesn't seem to get any love around here! For the record, mine is silver because that's what my dealer had in stock. There actually was a buyer ahead of me in the queue but he was holding out for DAVE in black. This fact saved me who knows how many weeks of waiting, so it's all good. As Keith sings, "You Got the Silver" LOL!

Well, if I were to choose now.  I may go silver as greasy finger prints on the black DAVE/stand are rather hard to remove.
You really do not see any oily prints on silver equipment.

paul

Jun 3, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #3,252 of 25,834

What do you like with your HD800 + DAVE as compared with Abyss + DAVE?
cloth v leather
slim v boxy
bass
vocals
stereo imaging

paul

Hmmm.  I want to say that I don't think the 800's are better than the Abyss - they are both clearly top shelf.

The Abyss is a dark sounding headphone.  Everything has this certain weight to it (I'm not talking about impact).  They are fast sounding and very detailed and accurate.  The HD800's are the ying to that yang - they have a bit more air, in that things sound a bit more relaxed.  They sound lighter.  I think in this side by side the 800's are a bit wider with their staging, or perhaps just separation is better?  The 800's are known for being brittle or harsh and with the DAVE none of that present - they sound smooth and effortless. 

More time is needed with both with the DAVE to make an accurate comparison.  I've heard a lot of SS amps with the HD800's and the DAVE is easily the best.

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #3,253 of 25,834
You got the same impression as i have, it is a little veil and unrealistic sound from time to time, but i think with the combination DAVE+Chord Indigo II + Headtrip+Isotek Sirius, the effect is more reduced, and it is much darker and softer, so i do not have the same screamingly high pitch any more, as i had before with all other dac;ś i have tested, which is very good.

I have not had time to investigate what realy causing this effet, but i think the stock JPS Labs cables could be one factor yes, and the synergy effect with the DAC / Amp and interconnects.

I think my Artisan Ultimate silver cables combined with MSB Analog / Hugo / PS Audio Perfect Wave, sounded all veil and sharp, it was an unpleasant combo with the Abyss.

I will test the Superconductor HP as soon as my buddie have them back from a loaner who have kidnaped them for one week, if he doesn't buy them.

Keep you all updated with my findings.

wink.gif

hi Fredrik,
did you have the chance to test the Abyss superconductor cables with the AB-1266 on DAVE straight?

Paul 

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #3,254 of 25,834

Hmmm.  I want to say that I don't think the 800's are better than the Abyss - they are both clearly top shelf.

The Abyss is a dark sounding headphone.  Everything has this certain weight to it (I'm not talking about impact).  They are fast sounding and very detailed and accurate.  The HD800's are the ying to that yang - they have a bit more air, in that things sound a bit more relaxed.  They sound lighter.  I think in this side by side the 800's are a bit wider with their staging, or perhaps just separation is better?  The 800's are known for being brittle or harsh and with the DAVE none of that present - they sound smooth and effortless. 

More time is needed with both with the DAVE to make an accurate comparison.  I've heard a lot of SS amps with the HD800's and the DAVE is easily the best.

paul,

this the HD800 or S?
I found the HD800S even more smooth and on the Nagra, maybe too much so. Works great with solo material as one feels the essence of being next to the player(s) but not so much when mimicking a loud ear-killing live rock concert.  Here, I feel the DAVE with the HD800S or HE1000 can handle the presentation.  Of course, I can dial down the ear-splitting levels to actually enjoy the music at home and one never can at the live venue.

paul 

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #3,255 of 25,834
Hi All you lucky and fortunate DAVE Owners.   Hope all of you are enjoying this amazing DAC from a great British company. 

Have any of you lucky people heard the DAVE with say a HD800 or HiFiMan HE100 vs the DAVE connected to the BHSE and Stax 009's ?.    

If you have, would sincerely appreciate if you could share your thoughts.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back