CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jun 4, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #3,271 of 25,821

i also like the 007 II more than 009 with BHSE
driving the BHSE with Nagra HD DAC has worked very well.

Thank you paulchiu.   Much appreciated.

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #3,272 of 25,821
Can anyone comment on whether mains conditioning would normally be beneficial for use with the Dave (accepting that everyone's mains supply is different)? My current setup is AK380/Dave/HE1000 & LCD-4. I can live with the AK380 as the source for a while longer but eventually want to get a better option (possibly Aurender X100L but also interested by recent posts on microRendu). Any views on whether main regeneration (e.g. PS Audio PS 3 or PS 5) or mains conditioning is the best bet? Thanks.

Jun 4, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #3,273 of 25,821
Except WTA 1 (getting to 16FS) uses 90% of the FPGA DSP, and most of the FPGA fabric. So just having to deal with a 16FS signal will free up a great deal of resources. The interesting thing will be how much benefit I can get by fully using all this capacity, just on the WTA2, interpolation and noise shaping. Of course the smaller amp will use a smaller FPGA, but with a massive FPGA will a much bigger WTA2 make a better sound quality? Part of the things I am finding out this year. Of course the Dave power amp will be much more powerful than the Hugo power amp, there are more things with a power amp than just the FPGA!

Thank you Rob, for your explanations!

So Dave + Dave power amp = Super Dave!? Very much interested to see what will happen.

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #3,274 of 25,821

most used is AKG K812 overall.

then 
HE1000
SR009
PS1000e

from time to time
ED10
HD800 or HD800 S
TH900

Not a fan of the Abyss then? 

Interesting to hear you gravitate to the 812's.  That's not a super common choice.  I've never heard them - Sounds like they are well worth an audition.  

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #3,275 of 25,821
In my rig I use the HD800 (semi modded), HE1000 and SR009 with the DAVE. The former two are directly connected to the DAVE's headphone output whilst the SR009 is connected via the DIY T2.

I suspect that the BHSE is what is imposing on the SR009 its sterile character. I had a number of amps for the SR009 over the years and the headphone changes its character dramatically and fundamentally with the amp. I find the DAVE/T2/SR009 combination nearly flawless in all aspects including musicality and naturalness. I listen to it most of the time.

It is certainly more musical and organic than the HD800 which sounds more clinical in comparison. But the DAVE manages to bring the best of the HD800 I must say, probably better than my old Eddie Current 445 that I have sold before having the DAVE.

I actually found a local experienced builder who was willing to build a DIY T2 for me but I passed.  I suppose being unsure of the 009's and all this talk of the Circlotron made me decide against it.  It's a tough cookie because it is such an (expensive) rarity.  

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #3,276 of 25,821

Not a fan of the Abyss then? 

Interesting to hear you gravitate to the 812's.  That's not a super common choice.  I've never heard them - Sounds like they are well worth an audition.  

Never heard the Abyss.  Thinking of ordering one.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #3,277 of 25,821
DAVE arrived at my home here in Seattle a few days ago and is now firmly ensconced in my system. Here are some photos:

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #3,279 of 25,821
  DAVE arrived at my home here in Seattle a few days ago and is now firmly ensconced in my system. Here are some photos:

Even though you already have a good quality rack, you've still added what looks like the Ikea chopping board and some stillpoints between that and DAVE. Did each of these make a worthwhile difference?

I have a couple of those low cost Ikea boards, but have not yet got round to doing any direct comparisons.   

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #3,281 of 25,821
  Even though you already have a good quality rack, you've still added what looks like the Ikea chopping board and some stillpoints between that and DAVE. Did each of these make a worthwhile difference?

I have a couple of those low cost Ikea boards, but have not yet got round to doing any direct comparisons.   

Yep, that's the IKEA $14.99 bamboo chopping board and DAVE is sitting on three Stillpoints Ultra Minis ($125 for each Stillpoint Mini). (And there are plenty of other IKEA boards wherever I use Stillpoints.)  

I have a very bouncy suspended oak floor in my 1923 house so component isolation is critical, especially turntables and speakers. The rack is by Finite Elemente, the footers for the rack are the Cerabases. I previously used Finite Elemente Ceraballs under certain components and still use them on a few components (e.g., the motor controller for the TW Acustic TT).

Stillpoints are not a cheap tweak but they were an audible, significant upgrade from the Ceraballs. The Stillpoints couple better with the multi-layer bamboo better than they do the hard rock maple shelves of the rack, or (especially) my oak floorboards under the speakers. Yes, the difference was immediately audible. In descending order of magnitude, Stillpoints have made biggest difference with:  1) speakers; 2) power conditioner; 3) amp; 4) DAVE and phono stage. Indispensable for #1-3. I found they did not make much of a difference with my TW Acustic TT, which is isolated from the floor by my wall mounted rack. 

I'm not sure that other isolation devices will benefit from the bamboo to the same extent as the Stillpoints. The Ceraballs, for example, may do better when sitting on the maple shelves. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #3,282 of 25,821
..... the BHSE is what is imposing on the SR009 its sterile character. I had a number of amps for the SR009 over the years and the headphone changes its character dramatically and fundamentally with the amp. I find the DAVE/T2/SR009 combination nearly flawless in all aspects including musicality and naturalness. I listen to it most of the time.

It is certainly more musical and organic than the HD800 which sounds more clinical in comparison. But the DAVE manages to bring the best of the HD800 I must say, probably better than my old Eddie Current 445 that I have sold before having the DAVE.

You make me nervous when you state this. I hope I will not be disapointed by my BHSE when I will receive it :D

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #3,283 of 25,821

It looks so beautiful! How do you like the sound?

I like it a lot! DAVE has vastly improved my digital sound, which wasn't bad when I was using my Ayre QB-9 DSD. And, as you can see, I also am a vinyl fan, with separate turntables for stereo and mono. 

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #3,284 of 25,821
  Yep, that's the IKEA $14.99 bamboo chopping board and DAVE is sitting on three Stillpoints Ultra Minis ($125 for each Stillpoint Mini). (And there are plenty of other IKEA boards wherever I use Stillpoints.)  

Just to continue the kitchen-fi theme for a moment, I have some cheapo damping pads on their way, designed to reduce washing machine vibrations. On another thread, MusicMan rates these pads as better than his TOTL Stillpoints Ultra 6's - in certain locations, as the Stillpoints do indeed seem to vary considerably depending on the type of surface they're on.

As they're cheap, I ordered a set of pads for fun, and will try them first under DAVE. Probably won't be as attractive as that Acoustic Revive plinth that was mentioned recently, but hey, if it doesn't work out, I can always put them under my washing machine :xf_eek:

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #3,285 of 25,821
You make me nervous when you state this. I hope I will not be disapointed by my BHSE when I will receive it
biggrin.gif

You can stop worrying right now! It's a fantastic combination.
I'll elaborate when I get a bit more time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back