CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 13, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #24,646 of 26,005
I tried a Dave direct into a hi spec tube power amp. It sounded rubbish and one needed to take the Dave through an active pre amp or something like a transformer volume control like the Music First passive pre amps.
Thanks, that probably explains why I have never read any posts about DIYers experimenting with the concept.

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #24,647 of 26,005
@Triode User @TheAttorney
Are you looking forward to the release of the MU2, and how that will compare to the MU1 with DAVE? I certainly do and would appreciate if you pointed out any review of that sort when it is release.
The MU2 is not on my watch list because it will (almost certainly) use Roon and in my book that means that its sound quality will be compromised.

Sep 13, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #24,648 of 26,005
I doubt it.
During recent weeks i have read some high spec DIY hybrid tube amps, and started to wonder if you could just use the analog output from one of Robs dacs, as the input to a high spec DIY tube amp (ie replace the solid state part of a hybrid amp with a Chord dac).
It would probably cost no more than $2k to experiment, so not much profit for Chord, and I am not sure that any valve enthusiasts would bother when they can already easily just use a standard tube amp.
Using POWER devices -- transistor or tube -- for the analog output section of a DAC (e.g., I/V, buffer / reconstr. filter) is a topology that has been used for decades. E.g., certain DACs like Classe Dac-1 (1995) had power trans. FET's for the output. And Lampy uses big triodes/etc in his designs.
Rob Watts started with DPA -- Deltec Precision Audio -- and early models from that outfit used Philips chipsets. And then later DPA, moved on to PA. See:
http://www.acoustica.org.uk/DPA/deltec.html
I have no idea what the output of DPA DACs were like. Methinks: discrete solid state ???
Around the same time, another high-end manuf was also using Philips Bitstream chipsets: Jadis. But the $12k (1994) Jadis JS1 used tubes. It measured poorly, but got good reviews. There's gold in them that hills.

Sep 13, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #24,649 of 26,005
Using POWER devices -- transistor or tube -- for the analog output section of a DAC (e.g., I/V, buffer / reconstr. filter) is a topology that has been used for decades. E.g., certain DACs like Classe Dac-1 (1995) had power trans. FET's for the output. And Lampy uses big triodes/etc in his designs.
Rob Watts started with DPA -- Deltec Precision Audio -- and early models from that outfit used Philips chipsets. And then later DPA, moved on to PA. See:
http://www.acoustica.org.uk/DPA/deltec.html
I have no idea what the output of DPA DACs were like. Methinks: discrete solid state ???
Around the same time, another high-end manuf was also using Philips Bitstream chipsets: Jadis. But the $12k (1994) Jadis JS1 used tubes. It measured poorly, but got good reviews. There's gold in them that hills.
OK, I have just read your required reading for the unwashed masses, so i will leave you to get on with making gold in the hills.

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #24,650 of 26,005
Thanks, that probably explains why I have never read any posts about DIYers experimenting with the concept.
☝🏽 Errm excuse me... 😀

Sep 13, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #24,652 of 26,005
Sep 14, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #24,653 of 26,005
Are you looking forward to the release of the MU2, and how that will compare to the MU1 with DAVE? I certainly do and would appreciate if you pointed out any review of that sort when it is release.
I'll continue posting on the aforementioned MU1 thread over at AudiphileStyle on all things to do with MU1 and MU2.

I'll post here on any final conclusions relating to DAVE. In short, if MU2 significantly beats my MU1+DAVE, then that will be my final downsizing step and byebye to many happy years with DAVE. If MU2 doesn't win by a significant margin, then I'll consider upgrading DAVE as a sort of consolation prize - currently favouring Reactcore's cap mods as a much cheaper and downsized alternative to an ARC DC4 power supply.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #24,654 of 26,005
I'll continue posting on the aforementioned MU1 thread over at AudiphileStyle on all things to do with MU1 and MU2.

I'll post here on any finall conclusions relating to DAVE. In short, if MU2 significantly beats my MU1+DAVE, then that will be my final downsizing step and byebye to many happy years with DAVE. If MU2 doesn't win by a significant margin, then I'll consider upgrading DAVE as a sort of consolation prize - currently favouring Reactcore's cap mods as a much cheaper and downsized alternative to an ARC DC4 power supply.
thinking buying a arc4 is insanity... just plug the Dave into a WOO WA23... much bigger lift than arc 4.

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #24,655 of 26,005
It doesn’t. It’s just that squeeze sounds different and is pleasing to some.
How certain are you about this [Roon doesn't degrade sound], and why? Are you implying that LMS changes the sound, even if in a "pleasing" way?

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #24,657 of 26,005
thinking buying a arc4 is insanity... just plug the Dave into a WOO WA23... much bigger lift than arc 4.

As one can probably tell from my forum name I am a fan of triode tubes (valves as I call them) and the 2A3 in particular having owned a pair of 2A3 power amps for more than 30 years but even I have to admit that ultimately they are colouring the music signal and now I am more in favour of getting the most accurate signal from the DAC (Dave of course) and feeding that into something like my ATC 150 active speakers.

In that search for the best sound, which also happens to be the most enjoyable to my ears, I have homed in on the ARC6 powered DAVE. Yes it is ridiculously expensive but to my ears it takes the Dave to a new level where it is head and shoulders above say the Rossini Apex at £28k UKP which I recently compared to it in my system.

Also the upgraded Dave total cost is not out of balance with my other system components which I selected based on their outright sound quality, ie the Antipodes Oladra and ATC 150 actives, both are eye wateringly expensive but both offer a sound head and shoulders above anything else I have tried at any price.

Any normal person would say we are all insane spending the Dave price on just a DAC. After that it is just down to varying levels of insanity depending opportunity and spouse cooperation. For instance I bought my ATC speakers second hand in a poor state and sent them to ATC to be fully updated to current spec and serviced for a small fraction of their new cost (a distinct advantage to living in the UK).

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #24,659 of 26,005
now I am more in favour of getting the most accurate signal from the DAC (Dave of course) and feeding that into something like my ATC 150 active speakers.
Have you ever experimented with high sensitive single driver speakers driven directly from Dave.. perhaps combined with an active sub? Like user @romaz did

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #24,660 of 26,005
I have a tube amp with Dave and love the sound, each to their own I guess. WA33 EE JPS upgraded Tubes.
But sounds better with the WA33 as a preamp with an AHB2 as an amp into headphones.

Any one wanting an amp for headphones try a AHB2 just pure power and the Dave signature is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back