CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 8, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #24,511 of 25,919
Thanks! Is it the Supercharging Dave's amp? I thought this was only for the headphone out. Am I mistaken? I will look at it again. But it isn't easy to find someone around with good soldering skills who can do it quickly for me :frowning2:

Thanks! I see that the Farad is 2760€ (excl.VAT) at min. This is relatively costly without hearing the effects first. Instead of investing this sum, I would rather wait for the next interactions of Chord stuff - M Scaler 2 and Dave 2 / Ultima (or whatever the names will be).
Ok, I am waiting for next Chord stuff impatiently too, but what will be the improvement and the price we don’t know. Looking at prices of high end stuff at Munich this year I rather doubt whether I will be able to upgrade from good old Dave/Mscaler

Jul 8, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #24,512 of 25,919
Thanks! I see that the Farad is 2760€ (excl.VAT) at min. This is relatively costly without hearing the effects first. Instead of investing this sum, I would rather wait for the next interactions of Chord stuff - M Scaler 2 and Dave 2 / Ultima (or whatever the names will be).

Rob has said multiple times that the DAC he is working on will be for the Ultima line, not the Choral line (like the Dave). The scaler he is working on is for the Choral line, not the Hugo line (like the Hugo M Scaler). So both will be more expensive than the existing products. Not that that makes the Farad or SJ power upgrades a better choice . . .

There is no Dave 2 in the pipeline.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #24,513 of 25,919
Rob has said multiple times that the DAC he is working on will be for the Ultima line, not the Choral line (like the Dave). The scaler he is working on is for the Choral line, not the Hugo line (like the Hugo M Scaler). So both will be more expensive than the existing products.

There is no Dave 2 in the pipeline.
Here people use Dave 2 as a reference for ultima dac line.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #24,516 of 25,919
Thanks! Is it the Supercharging Dave's amp? I thought this was only for the headphone out. Am I mistaken? I will look at it again. But it isn't easy to find someone around with good soldering skills who can do it quickly for me :frowning2:

The next Chord DAC in the works is apparently a very premium, much higher cost DAC than the Dave. Thus, I don't really think it makes sense to wait. Furthermore, there's no reason to believe that Chord will improve upon its PSU design (I thought I saw at one point in this thread mentioned that they don't have the intentions to), although it may. Who knows.

------------

FWIW to anyone, just sharing that at Canjam I spent quite a bit of time with two DCS Lina stacks. It had a very realistic and natural sounding tone, while being highly resolving. It stood out that the Dave seemed to be a bit more holographic, with a bit more spacing and separation (which is actually my favorite quality of it, it simply hasn't been beat by any DAC for me). The one area that the DCS did stand out as seemingly improved over the Dave for me, was in bass and timbre (again by no major margin, but noticeable), which seems to coincide with the areas of improvement quite a few people have listed with the Farad & SJ upgrades. That definitely peaks my interest in it quite a bit more than before. Although, I have other priorities at the moment than other gear, so hopefully I'll get to it some time soon.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #24,517 of 25,919
There are no certain dates.

Choral Scaler will be released in the coming months. Then the Ultima DAC will come out, maybe in 2024 or even later.

We also need to make a small consideration.

If you have optimized what you currently have available, you are already at a very satisfactory level of quality.

And depending on the musical genres you prefer, you can choose different headphones.

It is no longer a question of great upheavals but small improvements that the hearing, being very sensitive, can perceive.

Remember that the biggest difference in a system is always the speakers.

However I am very interested in the new Scaler.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #24,518 of 25,919
Any external PSU can only provide better voltage stabilisation at Dave's PCB input giving a performance 'boost'.
This is due to buffercaps they all deploy.

Once you apply that to Dave's final regulator stage.. youll hear what Dave truly is capable of.

I compared costly solutions to it.. and im not wanting them.
I wonder if the Choral M Scaler will be able to be used on the TT-2 and Qutest, if it's going to be used on the DAVE then it's going to be dual Coax again looking at the interface of the DAVE. I wonder how Rob will fix the 2Ghz ground plane contamination the current M Scaler has.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #24,519 of 25,919
I wonder if the Choral M Scaler will be able to be used on the TT-2 and Qutest, if it's going to be used on the DAVE then it's going to be dual Coax again looking at the interface of the DAVE. I wonder how Rob will fix the 2Ghz ground plane contamination the current M Scaler has.
For shure it will. It might even be able to output its 768k signal through USB ..but that would make it fully usable on non Chord DAC's too and Chord might want to prevent that.

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #24,520 of 25,919
Here people use Dave 2 as a reference for ultima dac line.
I certainly don't.

Once Ultima DAC is launched, its technologies are bound to be scaled down for Qutest, Hugo 2, TT2 and DAVE replacements. These products are getting old.

Mojo 2 already has some trickle down, it seems, in terms of higher precision computation...

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #24,521 of 25,919
The one area that the DCS did stand out as seemingly improved over the Dave for me, was in bass and timbre
Hearing modded Dave adding bass, body and authority to its holographic transparency brings heavenly realistic sound.. its utterly impressive.

So curious what xMscaler will add to it :)

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #24,522 of 25,919
Hearing modded Dave adding bass, body and authority to its holographic transparency brings heavenly realistic sound.. its utterly impressive.

So curious what xMscaler will add to it :)

Definitely the only improvement I'm looking for at this time. Beyond that, it's absolutely perfect across the board. So that's really helpful to hear. :)

Jul 10, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #24,524 of 25,919
I'm sure Reactcore can't wait to get his hands on the new M Scaler, he's gonna mod it I'm sure 😂
Not likely as i dont need to match the housing to Dave.

I think i probably create my CNC boxed optic TX addon design keeping the scaler's warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back