CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 22, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #23,641 of 25,883
I have owned my Dave for several years and have listened to numerous new DAC's and as much as I love to switch things up and own new things nothing I have heard in the same zip code price wise has convinced me to move away from my dave
I share similar thoughts about the Dave. I've listened to a few other high ends DAC's for comparison sake just to see if they could better the Dave. Long story short, I still have the Dave with zero intentions to replace it. For headphone listening the Dave suits my sonic preferences.

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #23,642 of 25,883
People who take ASR seriously don't deserve good music 🤣

@alxw0w and I once listened out of curiosity to a cheap Chinese DAC (brand with "high SINAD" highly praised by ASR) and compared it directly to DAVE and a very basic vinyl setup. Because the system was relatively simple (speakers in an acoustically untreated room), it was impossible to critically listen to soundstage depth, transparency, and other audiophile stuff. BUT! Difference was absolutely obvious from the first seconds. Right after vinyl Chinese DAC sounded like as if it weren't playing music, but just consistently and monotonously emitting a set of sounds. In contrast to vinyl, it was awful. No sense of rhythm, no harmony, no desire to listen further.

To be honest, then I mentally prepared that DAVE would also be powerless compared to a cheap turntable, but no. DAVE played just as rhythmically, melodicly and captivatingly as the vinyl record. Technically it was very different, but emotionally - just right there.

For all that, I happily used such a Chinese DAC for the Playstation. It reproduces sounds very well, why can't it play music as well - hell knows.
Have you had any luck connecting the Dave to PlayStation 5? I’ve heard others use various usb dacs with it but for some reason I can’t select it as an output device. All I have is hdmi on a Viewsonic gaming monitor, which unfortunately doesn’t have an optical out. Any help would be much appreciate.

Jan 28, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #23,643 of 25,883
Have you had any luck connecting the Dave to PlayStation 5? I’ve heard others use various usb dacs with it but for some reason I can’t select it as an output device. All I have is hdmi on a Viewsonic gaming monitor, which unfortunately doesn’t have an optical out. Any help would be much appreciate.
I never used DAVE with PS5, no idea if it will work as usb DAC or not.

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #23,644 of 25,883
Hhhm, had a weird occurrence with Dave just now. It has been on 24/7 for a few months. I was listening to classical and all of a sudden I heard some digital clicks. I turned off the music and it was not coming from my amp. Only when playing music. I restarted the Dave and all is good again. Has this happened to anyone before?

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #23,645 of 25,883
Hhhm, had a weird occurrence with Dave just now. It has been on 24/7 for a few months. I was listening to classical and all of a sudden I heard some digital clicks. I turned off the music and it was not coming from my amp. Only when playing music. I restarted the Dave and all is good again. Has this happened to anyone before?
Are you using optical? (I mean toslink input on Dave)

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #23,646 of 25,883
Anyone else using HF Fil - OFF with solo Dave? After knowing it lowers -.9 dB @ 20 kHz? Thanks.

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #23,647 of 25,883
Are you using optical? (I mean toslink input on Dave)
Yes, was using optical. Oooh, I am going to restart the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 as well. :)

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #23,648 of 25,883
Yes, was using optical. Oooh, I am going to restart the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 as well. :)
Also check cable.
Once I had similar clicks/pops and it was cable being not fully inserted - it was happening especially with 192khz rates.
Also as always to track the problem use different optical cable, maybe the current one is damaged/broken in some way

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #23,649 of 25,883
Also check cable.
Once I had similar clicks/pops and it was cable being not fully inserted - it was happening especially with 192khz rates.
Also as always to track the problem use different optical cable, maybe the current one is damaged/broken in some way
After I reset the Dave. All was well. I reset the source and plugged/unplugged cables just in case. Thanks for the tips.

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #23,651 of 25,883
Anyone else using HF Fil - OFF with solo Dave? After knowing it lowers -.9 dB @ 20 kHz? Thanks.
I recent turn my HF Fil to off after reading Rob has his off all the time.

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #23,652 of 25,883
Ok I think the issue of the clicks I had with the Dave was actually 2 bad recordings in a row. What is the chance of this happening, lol? Almost had a heart attack.

https://open.qobuz.com/track/1760931 (throughout song)

(around 1:40)

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #23,653 of 25,883
I recent turn my HF Fil to off after reading Rob has his off all the time.
I would assume he would have used it ON, lol. I thought he added the filter for lower noise floor or something. Yeah, after my system got better, I turned it OFF as I wanted the last bit of highend.

Feb 2, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #23,654 of 25,883
I would assume he would have used it ON, lol. I thought he added the filter for lower noise floor or something. Yeah, after my system got better, I turned it OFF as I wanted the last bit of highend.
Yep, that was my reasoning as well. I want every ounce of sound from my Dave.

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #23,655 of 25,883
Excuse my first post, been enjoying my DAVE that I bought used from a friend almost 2 years ago, coupled with an MScalar, it has been transformative in my system and my appreciation of digital source compared with a very nice analog setup. Anyway I have a question about the Digital Preamp mode and the maximum volume level shown on the display. I always though the highest level was +6dB, but yesterday I noticed the max level displayed +19dB. I was not playing anything at the time, so do not know if it actually could output the voltage, but wanted to check with other DAVE owners if this is unusual. Thanks.

David (I had to get the DAVE just for the name :smile:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back