CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 10, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #22,516 of 25,834
Synergy is not a thing. Susvara is not nitpicky. It just reflects the quality of the chain behind it. It only needs <145mw to drive it.
Hmm, I see....okay then. I must've paired it with something not as good sounding back then (To be fair it was tried briefly with the older Cayin N6 I borrowed from a friend.)

Sep 10, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #22,517 of 25,834
Sounds good to me, I read Stereophile and they do measurements, but they don't harp on that or let it affect what they hear, they judge the gear on what they hear and how it makes them feel. I'll stick with Stereophile.
You were thinking of getting a Topping dac to see what all the talk is about; maybe this can be of some help. I know it’s probably off topic, but if it helps…….

This is from Stereophile’s current issue. Under A rated pre-amps:

Topping Pre90: $599
This affordable solid state preamplifier comes with a remote control and one pair each of balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs. The optional $249 Ext90 adds one RCA and three XLR input pairs. Circuitry is all balanced. There's no balance control, but the volume control operates in relay-controlled 0.5dB steps. "A transparent, noise-free sound," decided KR, who described the Pre90 as "a great bargain." JA warned that the balanced input has very low impedance—1000 ohms—which will give a bass-light balance with source components that have a tubed output stage. But with its extraordinarily low levels of noise and distortion and very high channel separation, he concluded "the fact that that performance can be achieved in such a small chassis and for such a low price suggests that Topping has some serious audio engineering talent in-house." (Vol.45 No.2 WWW)

Obviously Stereophile sees some value in a Topping product. Do with it what you will.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #22,518 of 25,834
Super easy ways to remind me why I am into this hobby, and why the DAVE is such an effective vehicle for intellectual, physical and emotional pleasure ... :L3000:

1662807827486.png

1662808046591.png

1662808385151.png

1662808505303.png

1662808618053.png

Sep 10, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #22,519 of 25,834
Super easy ways to remind me why I am into this hobby, and why the DAVE is such an effective vehicle for intellectual, physical and emotional pleasure ... :L3000:
Thanks for those. They are all new to me apart from the last one.

Last night i had just over an hour of sheer joy listening to my Dave + Mscaler with this album.

60A009AA-BBB9-4B93-8E5B-A1731225C9A3.jpeg

Sep 10, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #22,520 of 25,834

1662807827486.png

1662808046591.png
1662808385151.png
1662808505303.png
1662808618053.png
Think exactly like you. I find your musical suggestions amazing, please don't stop letting us know some real goodies.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #22,521 of 25,834
if he is really so confident about the qualities he defends.
This is the fundamental issue here. He has absolutely no obligation to defend anything. It is arrogance on your part to assume he does.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #22,522 of 25,834
This will probably be excessive as hell for some, but I wonder if anyone here used IEMs with the Dave? :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #22,523 of 25,834
HEK2SE was real similar sounding.
I wonder if DCA will come with a openback version with their resonation absorbtion tech
It is a little off your topic, but I like to say, I am getting tired of open back headphones!
I like them, but they have practical issues:
- other people can hear your music and be bothered.
- YOU can hear other people and be bothered!
- If anything comes near the back of the headphones, it can change the sound! just try it, wave your hand about one inch from the back of your phones.
- can't use them on planes or trains.
Of course open backed headphones have an organic open sound stage, however, some of the newer closed back ones are closing the gap!
For example, I heard the Audeze LCD-XC 2021 version at CanJam. It being a closed back, but sound stage was as good as any open back.
Frankly, I tried various Hifimans, Audeze open backed, Focal . . . etc. but the XC stood above!
I have ordered one, waiting to receive it.

P.S. I don't think the DCA technology would work on an open back version, from what I understand of it.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #22,524 of 25,834
So are there any new headphones tried with Dave?

Although the HD800 is disappearing from peoples signatures.. i'm still amazed by this combo.

HEK2SE was real similar sounding.
I wonder if DCA will come with a openback version with their resonation absorbtion tech
I don’t know if they still qualify as “new”, but I have outstanding results with the Meze Elite. Well recorded instruments, such as those on the Tord Gustafson album (and most ECM releases) allow you to revel in their palpability.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #22,525 of 25,834
For example, I heard the Audeze LCD-XC 2021 version at CanJam. It being a closed back, but sound stage was as good as any open back.
Frankly, I tried various Hifimans, Audeze open backed, Focal . . . etc. but the XC stood above!
I have ordered one, waiting to receive it.
I totally agree... I too heard the LCD-XC 2021 at CanJam London and was very impressed. I'm still deciding whether to buy one just yet as I'm going to CanJam SoCal soon and may either pick one up there or something else that takes my fancy.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #22,526 of 25,834
You were thinking of getting a Topping dac to see what all the talk is about; maybe this can be of some help. I know it’s probably off topic, but if it helps…….

This is from Stereophile’s current issue. Under A rated pre-amps:

Topping Pre90: $599
This affordable solid state preamplifier comes with a remote control and one pair each of balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs. The optional $249 Ext90 adds one RCA and three XLR input pairs. Circuitry is all balanced. There's no balance control, but the volume control operates in relay-controlled 0.5dB steps. "A transparent, noise-free sound," decided KR, who described the Pre90 as "a great bargain." JA warned that the balanced input has very low impedance—1000 ohms—which will give a bass-light balance with source components that have a tubed output stage. But with its extraordinarily low levels of noise and distortion and very high channel separation, he concluded "the fact that that performance can be achieved in such a small chassis and for such a low price suggests that Topping has some serious audio engineering talent in-house." (Vol.45 No.2 WWW)

Obviously Stereophile sees some value in a Topping product. Do with it what you will.
Nice, I'm gonna get the D90SE to see what the deal is, I'll talk about it then and it'll be exactly what I hear.

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #22,527 of 25,834
Nice, I'm gonna get the D90SE to see what the deal is, I'll talk about it then and it'll be exactly what I hear.
The new DX7 pro plus, is not far off D90SE, it has a decent headphone amp thrown in.
Something to consider, FWIW.

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #22,528 of 25,834
Have you experienced it with the Susvara?
I have yet to try that one.. its on my todo list
Is its stage open like HD800?

I heard stealth aside my HD.. it sounded somehow kind of lighter but balanced which is actually super for a closed design.. but not worth its price for me

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #22,529 of 25,834
I have yet to try that one.. its on my todo list
Is its stage open like HD800?

I heard stealth aside my HD.. it sounded somehow kind of lighter but balanced which is actually super for a closed design.. but not worth its price for me
I haven't tried the HD800, I'm ashamed to admit but I too would like to give it a try one day. So I cannot compare unfortunately.

But the Susvara has quite a big stage and it's very fast in response for a planar.

But unfortunately my last listen session was with a rather underwhelming source (Cayin N6) so it definitely could benefit from a real powerful source. Which is why I kinda hope you can give it a try with a Dave soon and share to me how well it scale because it's not picky at all with sources apparently, which also means it should be able to scale impressively with a bigger source. :L3000:

Right now, my most curious pair up would be like this with the Susvara.

DAC: Chord DAVE
Amp: Cayin HA-300 MKII

Hopefully I can get to give it a try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back