CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 18, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #18,544 of 25,834
Just my opinion, human hearing can sence leading edges beyond 20 KHz we don’t hear it but we sense it. 30KHz in one ear and 32KHz in the other ear you hear the 2KHz beat frequency. This was tested in the 1930’s by Bell Labs, RCA and others. This is why tweeters with breakup modes above 20 KHz are irritating and some find records with cartridges capable of 40Khz to 50KHz bandwidth and speakers with tweeters that go out to 40KHz cleanly more realistic.
But this does not explain why I find „HF-filter off“ better with Dave but worse with Hugo 2. Both should have more or less no cut off of the higher frequencies when the filter is set to off (Hugo 2 white mode).

Dec 19, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #18,546 of 25,834
I have mentioned before that I did some switch swopping a few months ago. Without mentioning which ones I tried, I can say that I was really surprised at the difference in sound quality due to the different switches. I tried them between the Cisco switch in my listening room and my streamer and played only locally stored audio files. The Cisco switch in the listening room is connected to the router by fibre.

That review you link to basically pours scorn on it being possible for there to be an audible difference by reiterating the well worn routine that the noughts and ones are unchanged so it is impossible for there to be any change in sound quality due to the switch (see the quote ** below). I guess most of us on here who have tried different components in the digital chain have moved on from that position some time ago.

** Quote from the tomshardware link, “More to the point, short of some terrible components causing bits to flip — which would compromise any data traveling over a network switch — digital signals don't improve. The hardware either gets the complete transmission or it fails and repeats. The only real candidate for loss is in the digital to analog conversion, which the switch doesn't handle. But audiophiles will swear otherwise, in which case perhaps this product can join the many others of its ilk.”

After my comparisons I bought the Innuos PhoenixNET based on a compelling sound difference between it and the alternatives.

Dec 19, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #18,548 of 25,834
After my comparisons I bought the Innuos PhoenixNET based on a compelling sound difference between it and the alternatives.
I have been contemplating adding a PhoenixNET and would like to know if the addition of the component is as noticeable as the improvement from the PhoenixUSB. All my music is streamed in a decently resolving set up.

Dec 19, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #18,549 of 25,834
I have been contemplating adding a PhoenixNET and would like to know if the addition of the component is as noticeable as the improvement from the PhoenixUSB. All my music is streamed in a decently resolving set up.
I found the NET to be as much of an improvement as the PhoenixUSB but I have read of others who said they found the NET to give more of a change than the PhoenixUSB. That might depend on what they were using before the NET. The only reliable way for you to know is a home demo for a few days.

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #18,550 of 25,834
I'm curious if that difference still exists when using optical between the Streamer M-scaler (maybe with an opto-dx as well). Because if it does, even with perfect galvanic isolation and without USB's multiple issues, I'd really be curious to find out why.

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #18,551 of 25,834
I'm curious if that difference still exists when using optical between the Streamer M-scaler (maybe with an opto-dx as well). Because if it does, even with perfect galvanic isolation and without USB's multiple issues, I'd really be curious to find out why.
I cant help there I’m afraid. Both of my streamers (K50 and Zenith Mk3) only have USB or BNC ouputs and I have no intention of acquiring a streamer with optical output.

Dec 19, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #18,552 of 25,834
I cant help there I’m afraid. Both of my streamers (K50 and Zenith Mk3) only have USB or BNC ouputs and I have no intention of acquiring a streamer with optical output.
I got the Mind2 for specifically this reason but will compare with a Zenith via USB at one point.

Dec 20, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #18,553 of 25,834
I got the Mind2 for specifically this reason but will compare with a Zenith via USB at one point.
I would suggest that if you want to compare say USB to optical as a concept you need to do it on the same streamer. Swopping streamers at the same time is changing two things at once which is never good for comparison purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back