CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 16, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #18,526 of 25,883
Maybe in the near future we will compare it at nicks place against the dc4 but all my conclusions so far are the same as nick and others found on the dc4 and haynes. Next to each other will give exact difference but globally i think they give the same upgrade advantages

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #18,528 of 25,883
Maybe in the near future we will compare it at nicks place against the dc4 but all my conclusions so far are the same as nick and others found on the dc4 and haynes. Next to each other will give exact difference but globally i think they give the same upgrade advantages
I'm also really curious about the performance of the Farad Super3 X 3 for Dave. I hope that there will be some opportunity to compare them side by side at a meet or if anyone dares attain both.

Mattijs was also working on a high performance regulator unit. I would love to see a single case Farad LPS with 3 rails and the additional regulator stages made for Dave.

For myself, I've really been impressed with the hybrid tech that Ferrum is exploring. In the whole debate between linear and switch mode supplies they've seem to have found a way to eat their cake and substantially have it too. I've toyed with the idea of stacking three Hypsos (Hypsoi?) to power Dave, as voltage and polarity is fully adjustable. But, I get nightmares of my Dave on fire.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #18,529 of 25,883
No its not, the print adds no degredation, the three lps differ in startup between 1 and the negative is the longest 8sec. The pcb prevents lps swappes and passes all voltages if present and if one droppes all shut down. Its a 11.5k piece of dac we want to keep in one piece. Alot of people dont want the lps upgrade because off that risk and price. We hope to tackle both. And there is No degredation with this system.
Ok, thanks for that. So I guess I could get hold of the relevant three Super3 units and have a go! But maybe not as I have just seen my wallet crawling out of the room. 🤣 Perhaps I should have kept my Super3, hindsight and all that!

Just for info I frequently turn on the different voltage rails at different times/sequences because I have them in different cases.

I look forward to hearing reports when some of these supplies get out into to the wild and especially look forward to seeing if we can get them side by side. For a long time I had a 5V Super3 powering a Qutest and liked it a lot (it was the best I had heard and I compared very many before deciding that). Indeed it was only bested when I borrowed my Dave DC4 and then later the ARC6 and used their 5V outputs for the Qutest. One thing I noticed with the Dave whilst I was doing the swopping around the 5V supplies for its digital board in the Dave was just how much influence that supply had on sound quality. Somehow I had thought it would be less influential than the analogue supply but to my ear that was not the case.

Well done. It is great when people get an idea in their head and then make it happen.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #18,530 of 25,883
Yes its always in the end a designers choice, mattijs uses these super caps in his lps design and that makes that they can startup very long. The lps’s are sold seperatly already so any hobby guy can also buy just the power supplies and solder them to the dave and your ready to go for 1900.- bucks. Options are always good.

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #18,531 of 25,883
Nick other question i never tried, the aurender is now connected with toslink to my scaler i compared it with usb and usb really sucks connected strait in. But what if ingo bnc (wave) did you compare that to toslink?

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #18,532 of 25,883
Ow and nick the print is multi purpose he build it also for the new lumin dac +-12V so the choices are combined. Maybe the dave does not need voltage input at the same time but the lumin does. Hence….the pressure to finally build the true negative supply

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #18,533 of 25,883
Nick other question i never tried, the aurender is now connected with toslink to my scaler i compared it with usb and usb really sucks connected strait in. But what if ingo bnc (wave) did you compare that to toslink?
I’ve compared farrited bnc’s to lifatec brand toslink and prefer the toslink
http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #18,534 of 25,883
Yes inhad the lifatec but it failed on 192/24 rest was fine. Ok so i am on the correct path there thanks.

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #18,536 of 25,883
Ow ok good to now i shipped mine back dumb of them not to mention

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #18,538 of 25,883
-

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #18,539 of 25,883
What is that makes Dave sound so great with HF-filter off when playing m scaled 44.1 or 48khz files. I mean is not night and day, but to me the difference in filter quality is so big that I really prefer 44.1 (HF-filter off) to 96khz or higher (with HF-filter on). With Hugo 2 I just stuck with the filter set to green because it was always the best sounding. Green filter was just a tad smoother, but with Dave it is different when it comes to redbook. Maybe this is just due to the better overall transparency, but HF-filter off is another level of realism with (m scaled) redbook. I can‘t stop listening, help😃

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #18,540 of 25,883
What is that makes Dave sound so great with HF-filter off when playing m scaled 44.1 or 48khz files. I mean is not night and day, but to me the difference in filter quality is so big that I really prefer 44.1 (HF-filter off) to 96khz or higher (with HF-filter on). With Hugo 2 I just stuck with the filter set to green because it was always the best sounding. Green filter was just a tad smoother, but with Dave it is different when it comes to redbook. Maybe this is just due to the better overall transparency, but HF-filter off is another level of realism with (m scaled) redbook. I can‘t stop listening, help😃
Just my opinion, human hearing can sence leading edges beyond 20 KHz we don’t hear it but we sense it. 30KHz in one ear and 32KHz in the other ear you hear the 2KHz beat frequency. This was tested in the 1930’s by Bell Labs, RCA and others. This is why tweeters with breakup modes above 20 KHz are irritating and some find records with cartridges capable of 40Khz to 50KHz bandwidth and speakers with tweeters that go out to 40KHz cleanly more realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back