CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 26, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #18,305 of 25,850
Speaking about power supplies, does anyone know where I can get one that can accept 100 - 230v input, and the dc output needs to be 16.8v with 2.5amps.

I can find the 16.8v part, but I can only get 2amp versions. Help a brother out peeps, I will make you rich if you do.

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #18,306 of 25,850
...batteries get good reviews, even from the creator fella.
As someone with an interest in batteries to avoid going down the route of expensive psu’s, special electrical chords and re wiring the house, I know nothing about what batteries to buy or what qualities/specs to look for. Happy to hear any advice you (or anyone) can offer for a Chord DAVE.

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #18,307 of 25,850
Another query I haven’t seen answered yet too is the need for selected dual BNC isolation solutions that break the RF loop when using expensive power supplies, powering one component from a battery takes care of that one issue, surely such an expensive PSU would break the RF loop also ?

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #18,309 of 25,850
Another query I haven’t seen answered yet too is the need for selected dual BNC isolation solutions that break the RF loop when using expensive power supplies, powering one component from a battery takes care of that one issue, surely such an expensive PSU would break the RF loop also ?
I’m pretty sure plugging equipment in different outlets on a PS Audio powerplant accomplishes this

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #18,310 of 25,850
Hi guys some advice please. I’m having my Dave upgraded with a Sean Jacobs power supply. I’d like your advice optimizing it. For the last 4 years I’ve been using an Aurender N10 with the spdif fiber optic output sounding the best to me. It seems a lot has evolved in the last 4 years, pggb, usb etc. What server would do Dave/SJ justice? What interface is optimum now? Thanks in advance for your advice and experience.I should add 99% of my listening is with loudspeakers and speakers that cast a large soundstage. Enlarging the sound stage would be a detriment increasing prat, detail, naturalness is what I’m after.
I would keep the Aurender N10 with the spdif fiber connections and get a Mscaler and Opto-DX. In my experience if the Dave, Mscaler and digital source components are placed a few metres apart, the quality of the digital source component is not so important. The Opto-DX allows separating the Dave, Mscaler and digital source. I use 3 metre premium optical cables. I have also installed separate digital and analogue power cables, wired back to the consumer unit. My Dave is located between the Heisenberg power amps and loudspeakers at the front of the listening room. The Blu2 and digital source components are located along a side wall. This layout also allows the use of short analogue cables. You will not be disappointed with the Sean Jacobs power supply. The ARC6 significantly lowers the noise floor, allowing details and threads in the music to be heard more clearly. There is also a dramatic increase in bass weight and resolution. The sound is also more 3 dimensional and it is certainly more enjoyable.

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #18,311 of 25,850
I would keep the Aurender N10 with the spdif fiber connections and get a Mscaler and Opto-DX. In my experience if the Dave, Mscaler and digital source components are placed a few metres apart, the quality of the digital source component is not so important. The Opto-DX allows separating the Dave, Mscaler and digital source. I use 3 metre premium optical cables. I have also installed separate digital and analogue power cables, wired back to the consumer unit. My Dave is located between the Heisenberg power amps and loudspeakers at the front of the listening room. The Blu2 and digital source components are located along a side wall. This layout also allows the use of short analogue cables. You will not be disappointed with the Sean Jacobs power supply. The ARC6 significantly lowers the noise floor, allowing details and threads in the music to be heard more clearly. There is also a dramatic increase in bass weight and resolution. The sound is also more 3 dimensional and it is certainly more enjoyable.
Can you please advise what optical premium cable you are using. Just interested to know as I like your thinking in the rest of your set up. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #18,313 of 25,850
As someone with an interest in batteries to avoid going down the route of expensive psu’s, special electrical chords and re wiring the house, I know nothing about what batteries to buy or what qualities/specs to look for. Happy to hear any advice you (or anyone) can offer for a Chord DAVE.
There are posts on audiophilestyle of significant battery arrays being used to power a Sean Jacobs DC4 in order to power a Dave but none has attempted to drive a Dave direct from batteries and I suspect that is a fools errand. The Sean Jacobs ARC6 was created in order to surpass using the battery arrays to power the DC4 and the consensus is that the ARC6 succeeds in being better than battery power to the DC4.

This post is a good place to start . .
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...dio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1149407

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #18,314 of 25,850
Can you please advise what optical premium cable you are using. Just interested to know as I like your thinking in the rest of your set up. Thank you in advance!
The premium optical cables were supplied with the Opto-Dx. I upgraded from the standard optical cables. Checkout the Opto-DX website. https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/opto_dx. Note also that 4 x high quality bnc digital cables are required for the Opto-Dx receiver and transmitter. I use 4 x 1.2 metre long Oyaide DB510 BNC cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• jcn3
Back