CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 20, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #18,286 of 25,860
Cig - I know we don't listen to the same type of music, but Qobuz's catalog has gotten much better in the past year. I had both for a while, but then everything I listened to was on Qobuz. That said, obviously it's going to be largely dependent on genre.

What I really like about Qobuz is the sublime membership, which allows you to buy high-res albums at deep discounts. I like owning my favorite albums locally, so this makes it best for me - as I can buy what I want through Qobuz if an album peaks my interest.
I like and have the Qobuz Sublime. I also use tidal as there are more Prog titles. Be careful with Tidal as they resample the mqa titles to remove the mqa for the cd quality versions. I keep the top level subscription as roon unpacks the mqa versions so you at least don’t lose more data.

Nov 20, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #18,287 of 25,860
I like and have the Qobuz Sublime. I also use tidal as there are more Prog titles. Be careful with Tidal as they resample the mqa titles to remove the mqa for the cd quality versions. I keep the top level subscription as roon unpacks the mqa versions so you at least don’t lose more data.
That's a good point, thx.

Nov 20, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #18,288 of 25,860
Cig - I know we don't listen to the same type of music, but Qobuz's catalog has gotten much better in the past year. I had both for a while, but then everything I listened to was on Qobuz. That said, obviously it's going to be largely dependent on genre.

What I really like about Qobuz is the sublime membership, which allows you to buy high-res albums at deep discounts. I like owning my favorite albums locally, so this makes it best for me - as I can buy what I want through Qobuz if an album peaks my interest.
I agree 100%...the option to buy hi-res music at attractive prices is what makes qobuz a great service...incredibly many times I am able to purchase hi-res versions for less than CD quality...

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #18,289 of 25,860
My hifi started sounding terrible yesterday; nasty glassy violins, generally unpleasant. I discovered that my DAVE had got set to DSD rather than it’s normal PCM+ setting. As I don‘t touch my DAVE very often, and use it via the remote, and it takes a two second button press and a wait of 20 seconds to switch between PCM and DSD I am mystified as to how this happened. Is there a way of changing to/from DSD via the remote? I have the small remote. Could I have sat on the remote somehow and changed mode? Or pressed some button on the remote by accident?. Any other explanation?

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #18,290 of 25,860
My hifi started sounding terrible yesterday; nasty glassy violins, generally unpleasant. I discovered that my DAVE had got set to DSD rather than it’s normal PCM+ setting. As I don‘t touch my DAVE very often, and use it via the remote, and it takes a two second button press and a wait of 20 seconds to switch between PCM and DSD I am mystified as to how this happened. Is there a way of changing to/from DSD via the remote? I have the small remote. Could I have sat on the remote somehow and changed mode? Or pressed some button on the remote by accident?. Any other explanation?
Yes it could happened using remote (aka sitting on it). You basically can change PCM to DSD mode via remote the same as with the balls on the Dave.
Press Menu -> Choose PCM setting (Vol+, Vol- buttons) -> Hold left/right arrow on the remote and Dave is changing mode.

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #18,291 of 25,860

I’ve had some quirky moments happen with my old TT2, it would at times change modes by itself when the remote was on a table. It doesn’t happen with my latest TT2.

I think it was a case of ”heat makes things go funky” as my TT2 was roasting when it happened to me. My latest TT2 doesn’t break a sweat.

Nov 24, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #18,292 of 25,860
Yes it could happened using remote (aka sitting on it). You basically can change PCM to DSD mode via remote the same as with the balls on the Dave.
Press Menu -> Choose PCM setting (Vol+, Vol- buttons) -> Hold left/right arrow on the remote and Dave is changing mode.
Thanks, that’ll be it. I remember the phone went, I grabbed the remote in a hurry, pressed Menu instead of Mute by mistake and then stabbed randomly at a few keys. And of course it muted because I had inadvertently switched mode, then it came on again, and I managed to quieten it. I rarely use the remote button, so my fingers don’t know where it is.

The real mystery is why would anyone want to listen to DSD?!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #18,293 of 25,860
Thanks, that’ll be it. I remember the phone went, I grabbed the remote in a hurry, pressed Menu instead of Mute by mistake and then stabbed randomly at a few keys. And of course it muted because I had inadvertently switched mode, then it came on again, and I managed to quieten it. I rarely use the remote button, so my fingers don’t know where it is.

The real mystery is why would anyone want to listen to DSD?!

When I was using solo Dave, I always enjoyed the DSD+ filter with DSD. I don't think it sounds good with PCM (the DSD+ filter). It's one of the things I miss using a tiny bit with m-scaler, but is outweighed by how good m-scaler is with PCM. M-scaler with DSD isn't bad - quite the contrary, but I'll look for PCM files, if available, because it's so great with them.

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #18,294 of 25,860
Hi guys some advice please. I’m having my Dave upgraded with a Sean Jacobs power supply. I’d like your advice optimizing it. For the last 4 years I’ve been using an Aurender N10 with the spdif fiber optic output sounding the best to me. It seems a lot has evolved in the last 4 years, pggb, usb etc. What server would do Dave/SJ justice? What interface is optimum now? Thanks in advance for your advice and experience.I should add 99% of my listening is with loudspeakers and speakers that cast a large soundstage. Enlarging the sound stage would be a detriment increasing prat, detail, naturalness is what I’m after.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #18,295 of 25,860
I’m not sure you’ll notice anything? I used a UptoneAudio JS2 linear power supply on my TT and despite trying, I could not identify any improvement in SQ over the cheap stock switch mode PSU. It did look a hell of a lot better on the desk though!!

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #18,296 of 25,860
Hi guys some advice please. I’m having my Dave upgraded with a Sean Jacobs power supply. I’d like your advice optimizing it. For the last 4 years I’ve been using an Aurender N10 with the spdif fiber optic output sounding the best to me. It seems a lot has evolved in the last 4 years, pggb, usb etc. What server would do Dave/SJ justice? What interface is optimum now? Thanks in advance for your advice and experience.I should add 99% of my listening is with loudspeakers and speakers that cast a large soundstage. Enlarging the sound stage would be a detriment increasing prat, detail, naturalness is what I’m after.
Interestingly, Sean Jacobs visited me yesterday and we spent much of the day listening to my Dave + Mscaler with different configurations of his DC4 and ARC6 power supplies also with different dc umbilical cable lengths and cable types to try to arrive at a consensus as to what we thought was important for sound quality. Sean should be able to give you feedback based on what we heard to recommend configurations for your Dave power supply upgrade. Message me if you would like my thoughts from yesterdays listening sessions.

As to what server to suggest, well that depends on your budget.

We were listening to ripped files stored on my Antipodes K50 using the USB output but taking that through a PhoenixUSB to an SRC.DX usb to bnc convertor to feed the Mscaler. Also, I have found that the Innuos PhoenixNET makes an appreciable difference to the sound quality and is the only solution that I have heard which sounds as good as not having the streamer connected to the network.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #18,298 of 25,860
I recognize your comment may be categorized as "advice" as requested, but how is that helpful to a fella that predicated the request with the fact that he has already decided to pursue the DC4 pathway?

Have you heard the Dave on a DC4 and just not preferred it? Or with a Gaia by-passing the Amanaro USB workflow?

And of course, I have read Mr. Watt's comments about the matter here and elsewhere. I read everything I could get my eyeballs on, and talked to owners, and listened to the Dave with and without HMS, DC4 and Gaia.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #18,299 of 25,860
I would suggest the optimal thing to do is to leave the power supply of the DAVE to the guy that designed the DAVE.
Would you detail the things you heard or didn’t hear when you compared your stock power supply to a low noise low impedance linear supply? Was it a Sean Jacobs? What was it you didn’t care for and or did you hear no difference? Thanks My only experience is with a Qutest my friend measured a 1.5 bit improvement with a Qutest using an MCRU linear supply and you can hear the improvement. I certainly don’t want to throw my money away so your listening impressions are welcome

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #18,300 of 25,860
my friend measured a 1.5 bit improvement with a Qutest using an MCRU linear supply
Would your friend care to publish those results on this or the Qutest thread so they can be responded to? .5 of a bit is an interesting concept. And since a Qutest isn’t a DAVE, and an MCRU power supply isn’t what the guy is thinking of buying …..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back