CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 12, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #17,521 of 25,916
This really belongs in an HSA-1b thread ... but ...

You can't.

The 1/4" TRS socket will only give you 250mw into 32 ohms, which translates to 133mw into the 60 ohms of the Susvara.

You'll need to use a proper 4-pin XLR terminated cable for your Susvara (they should have come with one), in combination with the "Ribbon to Low Efficiency Headphones" adapter cable (that comes with the HSA-1b, see below). Plug the headphone end of that adapter into your 4-pin XLR cable on the headphone, then the other end into the "Ribbon" socket (left-most, male 4-pin XLR) on the HSA-1b:

Adapter Cable (1024).jpg

No, you'll want to flip the "SR1/HP" switch to "HP", since this just determines if the SR1a compensation curve is applied or not (has nothing to do with power).

---

Using the Ribbon output with the supplied adapter cable will give you about 9x more power than the 1/4" or standard 4-pin XLR sockets - in other words 1900mw into 32 ohms or 1013mW (1W) into the Susvara (enough to drive them to 112 dB/SPL with some headroom for peaks - which is "hearing damage in 60 seconds" level).

You'll either need an adapter to let you connect from a standard headphone 4-pin XLR cable to 4mm banana plugs, or you'll need a dedicated cable that directly connects your headphones to the same 4mm banana plugs. Doing it that way will get you an extra 3rd of a watt into the Susvara, which will give you more headroom for dynamic peaks.
Which of the two options will be the most transparent from the DAVE?

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #17,524 of 25,916
In theory, from the banana connectors - it'll avoid one pair of resistors. More importantly, you'll get more power into the Susvara.

I have tested with and without resistors, with other audio gear, and heard a clear improvement without it. This is not as strange as some make it out to be.

"A resistor works by restricting the flow of current, it can do this in one of three ways: firstly, by using a less conductive material, secondly by making the conductive material thinner and finally by making the conductive material longer. A lot of resistors are wire-wound, as the name suggests they consist of a conductive wire wound around an insulating middle, with other resistors rather than a physical wire wound around, it’s just a spiral of carbon, these are called carbon-film. Wire-wound resistors are more precise and stable than carbon-film resistors, the resistance of the resistor is controlled by the number of turns and thickness of the wire. There are many types of resistors but they all function on the same three principles as this is the only reliable way to control the resistance of the resistors.!!

1626100576485.png

"Current can be thought of like water flowing through a pipe. Resistance would be how easy it is for that water to flow. On the left is a more ‘conductive’ pipe as it is wider it allows more electrons through and therefore has a larger current. On the right is a less ‘conductive’ pipe as it is thinner it allows less electrons through and therefore has a smaller current."

https://proto-pic.co.uk/what-is-a-resistor-how-does-it-work/

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #17,525 of 25,916
If I have an m-scaler, would I still benefit from PGGB remasters? I might try the 5 song demo. I have 6.8 tb of flac (most 16/44, but also a fair amount on 24/96). I can’t imagine how much more space I’ll need for PGGB files. I have a K50 coming in next week, where I’m installing an 8tb ssd. At Amazon they have the exact model I bought at a nice discount at the moment (less than $700).

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-870-...rds=8tb+ssd&qid=1626144213&sprefix=8tb&sr=8-3

I guess the Antipodes k50 can go up to 24tb so, I guess technically I might have enough space to remaster everything. I gotta do some research :thinking:

Jul 13, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #17,526 of 25,916
If I have an m-scaler, would I still benefit from PGGB remasters? I might try the 5 song demo. I have 6.8 tb of flac (most 16/44, but also a fair amount on 24/96). I can’t imagine how much more space I’ll need for PGGB files. I have a K50 coming in next week, where I’m installing an 8tb ssd. At Amazon they have the exact model I bought at a nice discount at the moment (less than $700).

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-870-...rds=8tb+ssd&qid=1626144213&sprefix=8tb&sr=8-3

I guess the Antipodes k50 can go up to 24tb so, I guess technically I might have enough space to remaster everything. I gotta do some research :thinking:

You would keep the M-scaler for streaming, as many have done, and use PGGB for your file library. I think you know it would be one or other at a time, as they are both upscaling algorithms.

If you have a half decent computer you should download the trial and remaster some of your favorite tracks. I think you will truly like what you hear.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #17,527 of 25,916

I see you have a zenith Mk3. The new Innuos 2.0 app can play pggb 705/768 files so you might like to compare sound quality. With the k50 I prefer MPD sound quality for pggb files but I’m hoping the new Antipodes 3.1 software will allow the use of the latest version of Squeezelite which should also play 705/768 files (ie PGGB).

Regarding the SSD, I was recommended to go for the Samsung EVO range for the K50 rather than QVO.

Jul 13, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #17,528 of 25,916
I see you have a zenith Mk3. The new Innuos 2.0 app can play pggb 705/768 files so you might like to compare sound quality. With the k50 I prefer MPD sound quality for pggb files but I’m hoping the new Antipodes 3.1 software will allow the use of the latest version of Squeezelite which should also play 705/768 files (ie PGGB).

Regarding the SSD, I was recommended to go for the Samsung EVO range for the K50 rather than QVO.
Thanks @Triode User and @edwardsean!

Why do you recommend the EVO over the QVO? I don’t think they make an 8tb EVO (or at least I can’t find it at any store). I did some research and the EVO is faster and should last longer. Does the EVO affect sound quality on the K50? If so, how? If it does affect sound quality I guess I can return it and get three 4tb EVOs.

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #17,529 of 25,916
Thanks @Triode User and @edwardsean!

Why do you recommend the EVO over the QVO? I don’t think they make an 8tb EVO (or at least I can’t find it at any store). I did some research and the EVO is faster and should last longer. Does the EVO affect sound quality on the K50? If so, how? If it does affect sound quality I guess I can return it and get three 4tb EVOs.
I have no personal experience of comparing the EVO and QVD but being faster and lasting longer does seem like a good place to start. I have a vague recollection that it was Antipodes themselves who suggested the EVO range for sound quality but don’t hold me to that!. You could always email Antipodes I suppose and ask for their advice. Anyway, for the moment I went with three of the 4TB EVO SSD in my K50.

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #17,530 of 25,916
I have no personal experience of comparing the EVO and QVD but being faster and lasting longer does seem like a good place to start. I have a vague recollection that it was Antipodes themselves who suggested the EVO range for sound quality but don’t hold me to that!. You could always email Antipodes I suppose and ask for their advice. Anyway, for the moment I went with three of the 4TB EVO SSD in my K50.

Naim also recommends the EVO range for sound quality.

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #17,534 of 25,916
Yes I reckon Hugo with topping would be much better. I tried from single ended dave output, it makes Susvara into a treble only headphone. I’m simplifying things a bit… You might get away playing low volumes for music without any bass ‘ attack. Like choir music or arias? Hehe.

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #17,535 of 25,916
I looked at what Antipodes says, and I came across this:

We recommend you use Samsung EVO SSDs. The quality of firmware differs between SSD suppliers and some brands can create problems for you under various circumstances, but we have found that the Samsung SSDs have the best and most robust firmware out of the many we have tested. Some people claim different SSDs sound different, and we agree that is true during a burn-in period of about a week, but that after burn-in the sound is very similar. One exception to this is that we find 2.5″ Sata SSDs to sound considerably more natural compared with any of the msata or m.2 SSDs.

https://www.antipodes.audio/models/internal-storage/

It seems to be related to the supplier's firmware. I assume all Samsung SSDs have the same firmware, so I think I should be fine with the QVD (maybe) :thinking:

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back