CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 9, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #17,506 of 25,867
Jul 10, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #17,507 of 25,867
Jul 10, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #17,508 of 25,867
The problem with using a DAC to control volume is the manner in which it is done. The usual digital volume control technique of throwing bits away has definite audible consequences. Years ago when I owned the much acclaimed dCS Elgar, which has a convenient volume control, I found it produced a pure sound, but completely lacked dynamics compared to a state of the art solid state or tube preamp. Since then I’ve run this test on every DAC I’ve owned that had a volume control, and found exactly the same result. I use my Dave in both DAC mode, when I use my ARC Ref tube preamp, and in preamp mode when I run it straight into a power amp. I can tolerate preamp mode, but it’s like the difference between Folgers light coffee from a can vs my high end Jura cappuccino coffee from grinding the beans as you make the coffee. Once you’ve tasted coffee from a machine of the caliber of Jura, there’s no going back.
Yes I also prefer the sound of TT2 in DAC mode vs amp mode. My amp can handel the TT2's output thou.

Jul 10, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #17,509 of 25,867
Yes I also prefer the sound of TT2 in DAC mode vs amp mode. My amp can handel the TT2's output thou.
I have efficient
DAVE owners. Are you using DAC mode or pre mode?
I have been using highly efficient Alnico speakers direct from RCA out on DAVE with excellent results. I wanted to try an external amp for the speakers as well and have on hand a RAAL HSA1B. I connected the amp to the RCA out on the DAVE and speakers to the banana jacks on the HSA1B. For some reason could only get decent output from DAVE with volume turned way up and amp at 1-2 O’clock on the volume knob. There is a static like distortion with this set up and don’t know why the speakers seem to need more not less power when driven with the amp the chain. I set the amp on speaker mode of course. Any suggestions?

Jul 10, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #17,510 of 25,867
I connected the amp to the RCA out on the DAVE and speakers to the banana jacks on the HSA1B. For some reason could only get decent output from DAVE with volume turned way up and amp at 1-2 O’clock on the volume knob. There is a static like distortion with this set up and don’t know why the speakers seem to need more not less power when driven with the amp the chain. I set the amp on speaker mode of course. Any suggestions?

What do you have the HSA-1b's input-level attenuation set to?

For what you're doing, you'll want it set to 0 dB (mine came set at -10 dB by default if I remember correctly).

That means opening up the amp and flipping some DIP switches. They are located on a small board at the back of the amp (the blue switch block in the picture, though yours may be red):

Input Board - DIP Switches (1024).jpg

The settings are as follows:

HSA-1b DIP Switches.png

So flip them all to "OFF".

If you're turning DAVE's output up above 0 dB, then you may run into digital clipping - which would be the distortion you're hearing. Don't do that. And if you can, run the XLRs into the HSA-1b instead of the RCAs.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #17,511 of 25,867
Does changing the input level attenuation have any effect on the headphone performance and will it void the warranty? Also, why are XLR outputs on DAVE better? Can I leave the speakers connected via XLR and also keep the Amp connected via RCA out? Does the amp sound any better with XLR vs RCA??

Thanks for your help.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #17,512 of 25,867
changing it doesnt void warranty as it is suggested by manufacturer....in fact I was walked through by danny himself....

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #17,514 of 25,867
Does changing the input level attenuation have any effect on the headphone performance and will it void the warranty? Also, why are XLR outputs on DAVE better? Can I leave the speakers connected via XLR and also keep the Amp connected via RCA out? Does the amp sound any better with XLR vs RCA??

Thanks for your help.
Pretty sure Rob Watts has said on this forum that RCA is cleaner on the DAVE and his preferred choice.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #17,515 of 25,867
Does changing the input level attenuation have any effect on the headphone performance

In theory, it'll make it better. It will remove two resistors from the signal path, eliminating their self-noise. In practice, the difference will be at something below -140 dB and will be qualitiatively inaudible (other than given you much higher output for a given input).

and will it void the warranty?

You'd have to ask RAAL-requisite.

But everyone I know with an HSA-1b has switched their input attenuation level at some point.

Also, why are XLR outputs on DAVE better?

They're not "better". DAVE is a natively single-ended design, so the balanced/XLR outputs are derived rather than native and consequently single-ended output should have a tiny, measurable, advantage. However, they XLRs run at higher output levels (double the voltage differential) so will yield a higher output level from DAVE without having to turn the volume up beyond 0 dB.

Can I leave the speakers connected via XLR and also keep the Amp connected via RCA out?

You can, but maybe I missed the point of what you're trying to do. I thought you were trying to run your speakers from the speaker outputs on the HSA-1b. That's how you'd get more power than from DAVE direct. DAVE -> HSA-1b [Speaker Outputs] -> Speakers.

Does the amp sound any better with XLR vs RCA??

Only if you're using long-runs of cables or are in a EMI/RFI prone environment.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #17,516 of 25,867
Can you try to answer my other questions concerning XLR vs RCA?
the xlr out apparently puts out a bit more power otherwise signal is the same or even the rca is better since it was designed to be single ended

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #17,517 of 25,867
Which setting is everyone using for HF FIL? I've seen people say to turn it off if using M-scaler

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #17,518 of 25,867
Which setting is everyone using for HF FIL? I've seen people say to turn it off if using M-scaler
Off if original source is 44.1kHz or 48kHz. On if original source is 88.2kHz or above. M-Scaler doesn’t matter.
This is specific for DAVE. I always leave HF filter On for Hugo 2.
Of course you may disagree. But I think there are specific technical reasons for this.

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #17,519 of 25,867
In theory, it'll make it better. It will remove two resistors from the signal path, eliminating their self-noise. In practice, the difference will be at something below -140 dB and will be qualitiatively inaudible (other than given you much higher output for a given input).

You'd have to ask RAAL-requisite.

But everyone I know with an HSA-1b has switched their input attenuation level at some point.

They're not "better". DAVE is a natively single-ended design, so the balanced/XLR outputs are derived rather than native and consequently single-ended output should have a tiny, measurable, advantage. However, they XLRs run at higher output levels (double the voltage differential) so will yield a higher output level from DAVE without having to turn the volume up beyond 0 dB.

You can, but maybe I missed the point of what you're trying to do. I thought you were trying to run your speakers from the speaker outputs on the HSA-1b. That's how you'd get more power than from DAVE direct. DAVE -> HSA-1b [Speaker Outputs] -> Speakers.

Only if you're using long-runs of cables or are in a EMI/RFI prone environment.
How can I use my Susvara to take advantage of the higher output from the HSA-1b if I have the 1/4 in headphone plug? So I just leave the switch up for SRIa while listening to Susvara? Do I need an adapter to run Susvara from the speaker banana jacks of the HSA-1b??

Jul 12, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #17,520 of 25,867
This really belongs in an HSA-1b thread ... but ...

How can I use my Susvara to take advantage of the higher output from the HSA-1b if I have the 1/4 in headphone plug?

You can't.

The 1/4" TRS socket will only give you 250mw into 32 ohms, which translates to 133mw into the 60 ohms of the Susvara.

You'll need to use a proper 4-pin XLR terminated cable for your Susvara (they should have come with one), in combination with the "Ribbon to Low Efficiency Headphones" adapter cable (that comes with the HSA-1b, see below). Plug the headphone end of that adapter into your 4-pin XLR cable on the headphone, then the other end into the "Ribbon" socket (left-most, male 4-pin XLR) on the HSA-1b:

Adapter Cable (1024).jpg

So I just leave the switch up for SRIa while listening to Susvara?

No, you'll want to flip the "SR1/HP" switch to "HP", since this just determines if the SR1a compensation curve is applied or not (has nothing to do with power).

---

Using the Ribbon output with the supplied adapter cable will give you about 9x more power than the 1/4" or standard 4-pin XLR sockets - in other words 1900mw into 32 ohms or 1013mW (1W) into the Susvara (enough to drive them to 112 dB/SPL with some headroom for peaks - which is "hearing damage in 60 seconds" level).

Do I need an adapter to run Susvara from the speaker banana jacks of the HSA-1b?

You'll either need an adapter to let you connect from a standard headphone 4-pin XLR cable to 4mm banana plugs, or you'll need a dedicated cable that directly connects your headphones to the same 4mm banana plugs. Doing it that way will get you an extra 3rd of a watt into the Susvara, which will give you more headroom for dynamic peaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back